Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Early profile Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Newspaper Articles » Early profile « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neale Anthony Carter
Police Constable
Username: Ncarter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In doing some local research in Melbourne, I discovered a "speculation on the psychological characteristics" of JtR in the Port Phillip Herald of March 9 1891. This is a report of an article written by the American "literateur" Julian Hawthorne. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll try to produce the article here.

Neale

Andrew Spallek
Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go for it, Neale!

Andy

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neale

Post away, I would be happy to read it!!

Best Regards
Gary

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've done it now, Neale. If you don't post it, we'll all be speculating about what was in the speculation.

Robert

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would, indeed, be interesting to know whether Julian (son of Nathaniel and author of numerous occult and magic inspired pieces of fiction) leaned in Donstonian directions.
All the best,
Martin F

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neale,
If you have trouble posting the PORT PHILLIP HERALD, Chris the media whizz can post it for you.
He knows of the same website.I note that the newspaper is incorrectly listed there as the PORT PHILIP HERALD.

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
The article mentioned is already available in the Press Reports section at
http://casebook.org/press_reports/port_philip_herald/910309.html

Regards
Chris S

Andrew Spallek
Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting article. Mr. Hawthorne seems to have been 50-100 years ahead of his time in his understanding of homocidical mania. With few exceptions (such as his hypothisized afemininity) he could have been writing about Ted Bundy.

Also, intersting speculation about JTR "next season" being long delayed already in 1891. Hawthorne postulates a gap of much more than the 2 1/2 years already passed since killing ended.

Who is James Dougharty?

Andy

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all:

I do find it interesting that Nathaniel Hawthorne's son had an interest in the case, since I have done a lot of reading of Nathaniel Hawthorne's English notebooks, an interest of mine since he was U.S. Consul at Liverpool and has much to say about Liverpool, Birkenhead, Rock Ferry in the 1850's as well as other locales in Great Britain, including London. Excerpts from Nathaniel Hawthorne's notebooks are available on the net at Passages from the English Note-books.

However, note that Julian Hawthorne's stated views are really not that very different from those of his countryman, pioneer neurologist and former Civil War U.S. Surgeon General, William Alexander Hammond, M.D., who is quoted also in several press articles on this site, and about whom I have an article coming out in Ripperologist. In fact I would hazard to say that Hammond more than Hawthorne better prophesies that the Ripper would turn out to be a normal appearing individual like a Ted Bundy when he told a New York newspaper reporter:

'"Now, that's just the mistake the London police are making," replied the doctor, sharply, "they are looking for a repulsive, uncouth butcher, dripping with blood and hiding in the cellars about Whitechapel. In society he is probably a mild-mannered man. He may move in the very best circles. He may be known among his acquaintances for his modesty, his refinement, his humanity. He may even have an effeminate horror of bloodshed and strife. And yet, for some one of a dozen causes - disease, drink or what-not - he may have, at times, this insatiable desire for blood. My own opinion is," continued the doctor, "that he is actuated by some fanatical religious ideas. He thinks that he is doing religion a service in ridding the world of such women as he kills, for in every case they are reported as being prostitutes. The appetite increases with indulgence. This Whitechapel lunatic thinks now that he is doing a service in killing ignorant, depraved women. Presently it will occur to him to kill women whom he thinks belong to the same class, but who are in high life, and it would not at all surprise me if the next victim was a duchess or a countess. Then he will be caught."'
Atlanta Constitution, Friday, 5 October 1888

All the best

Chris

Neale Anthony Carter
Police Constable
Username: Ncarter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris S. - saved me the trouble of uploading.

Chris G. - looking forward to the Ripperologist article. I think these early attempts to truly understand the psyche of JtR can be of great interest as they are of their time and are made in the context of the social and religious mores of the time. Although many of the ideas put forward seem ludicrous to modern eyes we have the filter of over a century of genuine progress in psychology and many decades of psychobabble to contend with.

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

'This Whitechapel lunatic thinks now that he is doing a service in killing ignorant, depraved women. Presently it will occur to him to kill women whom he thinks belong to the same class...'

Shades of Peter Sutcliffe here?

Love,

Caz

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Caz et al.

Oooh, Caz, baby, when you read my article you are going to enjoy Dr. Hammond's views about women, ... or else maybe you will throw down the issue of Ripperologist in disgust.

Somewhat stereotypical of male and medical men's views of the female gender in general, perhaps, yet the controversial and colorful Dr. William Alexander Hammond had some choice things to say about the role of women in society as well as their brain capacity... Aherm...

All my best

Chris

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I would never dream of throwing down my Ripperologist in disgust for reporting someone's views on women, particularly someone who is no longer with us.

If a live ripperologist, however, were to express views on women today, that I disagreed with, I would reserve the right to give him, or her, a pretty piece of my tiny little mind.

Love,

Caz

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.