Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

JACK THE RIPPER TOURS - ASSISTANCE NE... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » JACK THE RIPPER TOURS - ASSISTANCE NEEDED « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Hinton
Detective Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 7:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am presently doing some research into Crime tourism, visiting sites of famous crimes.

Obviously The Jack the Ripper tour must be one of the major ones and I am looking for anyfeedback in the local press regarding these tours - good or bad.

Also if anyone knows of any articles from anywhere concerning this type of tourism I would be most grateful for details.

Bob Hinton

Robert Charles Linford
Detective Sergeant
Username: Robert

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 7:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob

I did have one or two newspaper cut-outs about the tours, but they seem to have vanished.

However, perhaps the following item will be of interest. It's from "East London Record" (No.18, 1996 - published by the East London History Society), and it's in the "Notes and News" section :

"I don't care who Jack the Ripper was, but those who do may wish to read Melvin Harris' The True Face of Jack the Ripper (Michael O'Mara, £14.99) or they could go on one of the Jack the Ripper Guided Walks, or join the 'Cloak and Dagger Club' who have sent us a pilot issue of their Newsletter. All the contributions are from men. I recall there were some feminists' protests when there were attempts to have a 'Ripper Centenary' in 1988 : perhaps the Cloak and Dagger Club's Newsletter might be a platform for their views in the future."

Sounds a bit ominous!

Robert

dahrius
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob
I just recently went on a guided walk of the "Jack the Ripper Tour" and I do not remember exactly what the name of the particular tour was but I recall that in it's website they claim that certain Friday nights are hosted by Donald Rumbelow. The walk was interesting (but the guide was not Rumbelow but a chap from Eton who bragged about Eton's Rugby playing?) however I think that such walks are primarily geared for the average tourist rather than the serious scholar of things JTR. I noticed that the guide made several inaccurate assertions such as the killers draped the room in 13 Miler's Court with her intestines like party ribbon. Another thing that bothered me was that we passed by Dorset St. with barely a look. I felt as a Ripperologist that although Miller's Ct. has long disappeared that the sight deserved at least a moments pause and reflection due to it's being (in my mind at least) the epicentre of the entire story. I felt the tour was also a bit rushed as I barely had time to snap photos before we rushed off to the next sight. I feel that a true Ripperologist would be more interested in walking around by themselves taking as much time as needed to reflect on all the sights. If you are unfamiliar with the area the tour does at least show you the way around and then you can go back later on your own. That is what I did.
Peace
Clinton Norwood

Andrew Spallek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don Rumbelow does lead the tour sometimes for the venerable London Walks company (there are many imitators). The London Walks JTR walk meets at Tower Hill Tube Station even evening during the summer months -- less frequently perhaps off season -- I believe at 7:30 PM. Cost is 5 pounds.

The walk is a bit rushed for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the increasing objections of residents and business-owners to ghoulish bands of tourists. On my last walk the guide (not Donald) did not even take us by 29 Hanbury St., citing objections of a resaurantuer, but just had us peer down the block from the corner. He also included some rather minor inaccuracies in his talk. Still well worthwhile for familirizing oneself with the lay of the East End.

Andy

PS -- We actually did walk by the carpark near Miller's Court, but the guide really didn't point out the location of #13 this time as others have on previous tours.

Glenn L Andersson
Sergeant
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard that Richard Jones is doing excellent Ripper tours -- although I think I've read that they only accept prevously booked groups...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Bob Hinton
Detective Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for your replies. It would be most helpful if anyone who has been on one of these tours could contact me. My email is bob@hinton330.fsnet.co.uk

Much appreciated

Bob

greg Pullen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently did a tour from Tower hill run by the guards from the Tower at london, certainly not rushed we had about 35 people on the tour and it was excellent I had read various books about jack and although we didnt visit all the scenes there was never any attempt to mislead,well recomended

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.