Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Help Sorting Trough the Good, the Bad... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Help Sorting Trough the Good, the Bad & the VERY UGLY « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All!

New to this territory and I am hoping that a few of you could point me in the right direction as to Which books are worth buying when it comes to the JtR mystery.

So far I have read:

The P.C. book (mtDNA, yeah right!)
Sugden’s JtR
Letters From hell

I have on order:
Jack the Ripper: The Definitive History

The News from Whitechapel: Jack the Ripper in the Daily Telegraph

The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook: An Illustrated Encyclopedia

Any help or suggestions welcome!

boots

Jim DiPalma
Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the message boards. You're off to a great start, many of the best titles in the field are already on your list. If I may suggest a couple of additional works:

"Crimes, Detection, and Death of JtR", by Martin Fido, and "JtR - The Uncensored Facts", by Paul Begg. Those two books will give you a detailed look at Anderson's Polish Jew theory.

Anything written by Stewart Evans is well worth reading.

Again, welcome,
Jim

David O'Flaherty
Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boots,

You seem to be doing very well without anybody's help. The books on your list will give you a firm footing not only on the facts of the case, but the period as well.

If you have an interest in the victims' histories, then the booklets by Neal Shelden are for you. I've got his latest on Catherine Eddowes and it's as worthy a reference work as anything that's out there.

Another great resource is the CD-ROM Stephen has for sale. If you find these message boards useful, the CD has the archives going back to 1999 (I think). It covers all sorts of stuff like currency, Whitechapel, the "Maybrick" Diary, and of course, suspects, suspects, suspects--dozens of them. There's lots to wade through, but great posts from the knowledgable (including contributions from Evans, Begg, Fido, and Skinner) certainly make it worthwhile and there are things there you won't find in any book.

Happy reading,
Dave

Jennifer Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone here is SO friendly!

I am used to a...well, shabbier/shadier board I guess

Thanks for the suggestions. This Maybrick diary thing has been bugging me though- Is there an actually copy of the document in print or do you have to sift through the thoughts of a writer and their erm..."theories?" I've only seen one title and I think it was a female writer (can't remember for sure)...I'm not speaking (typing) of the P.C. book either

thanks again
jenn

Robert Clack
Sergeant
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

The book you are trying to remember is "The Diary of Jack the Ripper" by Shirley Harrison. It contains a facsimile of the Diary plus a transcription. The book is due to be released again, revised and updated in July (in the uk) under the title 'Jack the Ripper the American Connection'.

"Jack the Ripper the Uncensored Facts" by Paul Begg, which is mentioned above, is another great book, similer to Sugdens. This is also due to be revised and updated for later in the year.
I would also recomend "The Jack the Ripper A-Z" by Paul Begg, Martin Fido and Keith Skinner.
A personal favorite of mine The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow, it is slightly outdated now but is a very good read and has a list of all major suspects up to 1988.
And finaly "East End 1888" by William J. Fishman, will give you a dood deal of imformation about the East End at that time, which will give you better understanding of the social conditions of the time.

There are links to 'Amazon' on this site, where you can obtain alot of these books.

All the best

Rob

David O'Flaherty
Sergeant

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jenn

I believe Keith Skinner is working on a new book about the diary. Caroline Morris might be able to provide more details.

Dave

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dave:

In fact, it has been announced that Caroline Morris is now a co-author with Seth Linder and Keith Skinner on the upcoming The Ripper Diary--The Inside Story.

All the best

Chris

David O'Flaherty
Sergeant

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Chris

Congratulations to Caz, then :-) I look forward to reading the inside story and finding out if they've uncovered any new evidence that the diary is an older forgery. Even if they don't, the Vietnam that is the Maybrick Diary is going to make for interesting reading.

Cheers,
Dave

Guy Hatton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 'Diary' is reproduced both in transcription and facsimile in Shirley Harrison's The Diary of Jack the Ripper, though I would recommend checking that any particular edition you might be thinking of buying actally does contain both.

HTH

Guy

Caroline Anne Morris
Sergeant
Username: Caz

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dave.

Hi Chris, Jenn, All,

I have actually been working with Seth and Keith on Ripper Diary--The Inside Story for over three years. I do hope everyone who plucks up the courage to peep inside will find it an informative and entertaining read. Who'd have thought back in 1993 that some day a book would be written covering the first ten years of the investigation into the dastardly Diary's origins?

Happy Easter everyone - may all your eggs be chocolate, and your buns hot, cross and smothered in butter.

Love,

Caz

Marie Finlay
Detective Sergeant
Username: Marie

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always been intrigued by the story surrounding the Diary, and I've read all the books concerning it.

So I'll definitely look forward with interest, to reading this latest one.

Cheers,
-M.

Maura
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

Nice to see you here. I too agree with Mr. DiPalma who recommended any tome by Martin Fido, and I find the Evans book also quite informative. I like the books by Sugden and Rumbelow especially.

I even enjoyed the Belltower book by Graysmith which someone gave me as a gift, since I had most of the others available. "Jack the Ripper and the London Press" is kind of interesting. And I still enjoy thumbing through Knight's "Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution" but I think it's out of print. I hear it's selling for big money on Ebay. Even "Prisoner 1167" is kind of fun.

If you've read the unique "Letters From Hell" then even some of the more outre books like the Maybrick purported diary would be of interest, though in a more specialized vein.

I have not read "East End 1888" by William J. Fishman myself but would really like to. I have a lot of books but always appreciate some new suggestions. Mine were acquired just by always checking the true crime area for years, in my monthly sojourns at local bookstores.

I'm looking forward also to getting into the CD-Rom.

Not all I recommend is due to them being so valid, but they all add to the legend I feel. Sorting through them is the fun of the chase.

Welcome, Jennifer!

Maura

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.