Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Help Wanted Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Help Wanted « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott Medine
Sergeant
Username: Sem

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone tell me what is a wide awake hat?

Peace,
Scott

Jim DiPalma
Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott,

My understanding is a wide-awake is a soft hat with a wide brim, made out of a felt-like material that has no nap, hence the name.

Cheers,
Jim

Kevin Braun
Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott,

See http://www.hmg.co.uk/merlin/page6.htm

I imagine the sash or ribbon was optional.

Take care,
Kevin

Scott Medine
Sergeant

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kim and Jim,

Thanks.

Peace,
Scott

Chris Scott
Sergeant
Username: Chris

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott
From what I have read, the "Wide awake" hat was best known in early 20th century as the type of hat worn in the early scouting movement. This type of hat is very similat to that still worn by the Canadian Mounted police.
chris

Monty
Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks,

Just for my own curiosity....was this kind of hat (wide awake) popular in 1888 ??

If so, with whom ?

Monty

Scott Medine
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

There is an illustration, I forget where it originally came from nor can I remember which book I have seen it in, but it shows a man in what appears to be a wide-awake hat. As we spoke about in e-mail, this illustration may stem from the Ada Wilson event.

Also, the information I have been received on the style of hat states that it was used chiefly by people in rural areas. However with the coming of the industrial movement and its subsequent migration of people into the city,the hat became more and more popular with people in the city and at the close of the 19th Century, it was becoming fashionable with the upper and middle classes.

Peace,
Scott

Robert Charles Linford
Sergeant
Username: Robert

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

In the Conan Doyle story "The Yellow Face" a man with a brown wide-awake enters Holmes's rooms. He is a comfortably off hop merchant with an income of seven or eight hundred.

Robert

Monty
Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott,

You thinking of the 'Kosminski' illustration in the A-Z ??

Cos I am ! Yeah, I agree about the Wilson event.

I was wondering if the hat was a US influence.

Monty
:-)

Fred Grogan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The phrase "Wide-Awake" was associated with the idea of vigilance and unofficial military organizations in mid-19th century America. Its a little confusing, since it was just a saying associated with more than one philosophy, the anti-immigrant "Know Nothings" used the term as a watchword as did some other more liberal groups.

How the hat style came to be so-called, one can only guess. My take on the general look of a wide-awake hat is what we today would consider a classic man's felt or slouch hat. It may have originated on the frontier or with the idea of a watchman's hat. Also have read anecdotes about a streetcar man in the midwest, using the call "wide-Awake!" as a warning to pedestrians, about 1890-1900.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.