Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Unregistered Members Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » Unregistered Members « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2693
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently attempts have been made by unregistered members to post comments to the boards under usernames which are nearly identical to those belonging to other, registered members. So, once again, a change has been made that may affect those of you who do not have registered accounts.

The system now runs a specialized algorithm against all usernames entered by unregistered members. If the entered name is considered too similar to an already registered name, your post will be rejected. The algorithm is very sensitive, so in some cases a perfectly legitimate username will be rejected. I.E.:

David Radka is too similar to David Rhea. Chris Scott is too similar to Chris Phillips, etc. etc. The easy solution is to register your username - even if it is similar to another name, once its registered, its yours. Otherwise, I would recommend adding additional numbers or initials to the end of your preferred name.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Peter R. A. Birchwood
Sergeant
Username: Pbirchwood

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen:
What's this thing about Maria's account on the old boards? She tried to register under a variant of our business email and something went wrong with it and she never got any replies and her emails weren't accepted and then she tried under her own hotmail account and she got a snarky reply to say that hotmail and webbased emails weren't accepted either so she finally ended by submitting under my name which was ok at the time. But 5 attempts to file under hotmail or yahoo accounts? She's never had a yahoo account and she only tried once under hotmail. What's the problem and why is there so much wrong information about? And of course while she is waiting for an account on the new boards, she can't file under her last name because the programme says that's too close to another subscribers so she has to file under her maiden name.

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELLO

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. Pleased to meet you.

Robert

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope you guess my name...

hoo hoo

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blimey! How can you have a devil called Christian?

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy B-day Keith R!
At last you're half the age you look :-))

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho,

Sir Mick Jagger? Bloody Hell fire!

It's the World turned upside down.

Cheers, Mark (and it makes me wonder)

PS Yes, I know that was not by the Stones

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and what's puzzling you is just the nature of my game, Mark :-))

Here's a Jack Daniels to Keith Richards!

And finally: Sorry about all that absolutely off-topic stuff. Whenever I have that "hoo hoo" of Sympathy for..." on my brain, I get carried away ;-))

Christian

P.S.: Led Zeppelin (and it makes me wonder)?!!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it was Led Zeppelin - and Rolf Harris!!!

If the survivors of Led Zep get any older, they'll be singing "Stairlift to Heaven".

Robert (a Led Zep fan)

Chris Phillips
Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen

It seems that, when the form is used to check for new messages, only messages from registered users are shown (unless I've been half asleep when checking, and missed some).

If there isn't a technical difficulty, I think it would be better if it showed messages from all users, whether registered or unregistered.

Thanks

Chris Phillips

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

When using the last day feature, all posts are shown that have been posted in the last 24 hours whether they are from registered or unregistered members. However, unregistered members posts have to be approved and if they posted something yesterday morning at 5 am and Stephen doesn't approve it until today at 10 am, then those posts arent going to show under Last Day because the computer goes by the time of the post not the time of the approval.

If you want to catch every post, start clicking Last Week or subscribe to the email service which sends out copies of every post.

Chris Phillips
Inspector

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally

Thanks for that information.

Actually, it's the "Messages since I last checked" feature I've been using. Do you happen to know whether they will show up on that eventually, based on the time of approval rather than the time of posting? I'd be quite happy if that's the case, but it would be a bit of a chore to have to check the whole week's messages regularly.

Thanks again

Chris Phillips

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Don't know what tell you...it works for me, I just did a check to make sure and unregistereds are coming up the same as registered in the Search function.

Baffled,
Ally

Chris Phillips
Inspector

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally

Maybe I was wrong in the first place - if so, sorry for the wasted time.

I got the distinct impression that some in the Maybrick thread, and some in the thread on Druitt's grave, hadn't shown up in the search. The trouble was, of course, I couldn't go back and check, as they certainly wouldn't have come up on a second attempt.

Chris Phillips

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No worries Chris,

It may have been a glitch or something. Hope it's working for you now. :-)

Peace,

Ally

Carambola is the actual name of star fruit.

Chris Phillips
Inspector

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm fairly convinced that some posts by "unregistered members" are failing to turn up when the "posts since I last checked" feature is used. It seems to be a question of them never turning up, rather than being delayed.

They do, however, seem to show when "Last day" is used.

Chris Phillips

Chris LeQuellec
Sergeant
Username: Chrislq

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'm not a pro anonymous posting.
On my board anonymous can only post in the help forum.
Why? because of "trolls".
chris

hemustadoneit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Not sure whether anyone will see this but is there any protection against someone posting messages as if they were from me as another unregistered guest?

Personally I don't care for myself, but, it's more an issue for, well should we say those that care to copyright their posts.

It seems obvious to me I could stir things up by just posting a lot of drivel and using a well known unregistered monika.

Mimd you, would we know the difference?

Cheerio,
ian

PS I know you can and do register the IP address but would you normally bother checking it's in the same ISP range the poster normally posts from.

hemustadoneit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I had a quick look but couldn't find an appropriate thread for this so I thought I'd plonk it in right here since I'm an unregistered guest.

Some of the message threads interest me but for the longer ones I have to read them 25 items at a time whereas I'd rather have the whole lot in one go on one screen, and, possibly even print them for offline reading - on one page I could just use regular browser print functionality (though better yet a "list all thread in printer friendly format" option)

I'm not on broad band but they're only text items after all so not a significant network "weight" and even with a 56K modem download time wouldn't be significant.

Is this possible? Am I asking too much?

Cheerio,
ian

BTW: excellent site and resource; well presented, well structured and well thought out.

hemustadoneit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monsieur LeQuellec,

(to many Chrises on this board to just say Chris).

If it's not been said before... not allowing unregistered members could lead to an elitist, pompous, inbred, and stale group.

Depending on how well or badly Stephen and the others(?) do their moderating task then you won't notice the difference.

But the key is that Stephen does actively moderate the boards and so trolling (if any here) is down to Stephen's lacsidasical moderating ability ;-)

Though even registration doesn't seem to stop trolling by _existing_ members strirring up trouble.

I for one am glad to be able to post as an unregistered guest, the only concern I have is that it takes Stephen et all precious time to wade through my posts and sanction them before they "hit the press" and for that I thank them.

If that becomes onerous then I'm sure Stephen will either stop unregistered guests being able to post, or will simply not let posts through and they languish at the bottom of the pile.

Hey I just created 3 items on the same thread - will that make it on the "most active forum today" list?

Errr,...only if Stephen lets them through ;-(

Cheerio,
ian

hemustadoneit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To answer your question Yes if you are reading this
Jennifer Pegg

shemustadoneit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

DOH!! I didn't spot your reply till now as I just looked at the last article on the thread and that was from hemustadoneit which I thought was me!

OK so you/anyone can impersonate me... maybe.... but perhaps the beard, moustache and hairy legs would give the game away.
Errr, I mean mine not yours ;-)

Cheerio,
ian

I just find it annoying I can't view the IP addy to see that Bullwinkle = Squirrel J Rocket = Saddam = Radka. If someone is unregistered maybe their IP address should be slapped all over their posting, but yet stays hidden for regulars.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 310
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is the beauty of it!
cheers
Jennifer

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.