Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Please help - Illustrated Police News Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Please help - Illustrated Police News « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian Whiteland-Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a house and under the floor boards I discovered 5 issues of Illustrated Police News.

The issues all feature Ripper stories and are from the following dates.
8 September 1888
22 September 1888
6 October 1888
20 October 1888
17 November 1888

I believe that all are orginal and I am having them checked over next week.

Not being a Ripper fan, I am not likely to keep them, so I would appreciate any help or guidance regarding their sale value.

Kind regards Ian

Richard Brian Nunweek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian.
I wish I had purchased your house , a few years ago a diary was found under some floorboards, if I were you I would try and find out the history of the house that you have obtained, for it seems strange that any ripper enthusiast would want to hide these historic original papers, and leave the property without taking them with them..
I am afraid I do not know their value but I am sure you will get a few offers for there sale.
Richard.

Brian W. Schoeneman
Detective Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian,

I've seen e-bay auctions for similiar Ripper related Illustrated Penny papers go for $80-100 dollars each.

I know I'd pay good money for them!

B

Ian Whiteland-Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard
The papers have been there a long time. I know the recent history as I have lived in the house as tenant for many years. My house is over 100 years old.
A friend told me there was similar styled attemped ripper attack in Portsmouth, (8 miles away) around the time of the other murders. Maybe he lived upstairs ;)
regards

Ian

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian -

Not to put a damper on things, but these exact same five issues of the Illustrated Police News were reprinted in the 1970s, using a brownish sort of paper that was artificially aged to look old. They've been a headache for collectors ever since, because there are no print indications on any of the papers that they were reprints and not the originals. Many people have tried selling these on eBay and elsewhere, pawning them off as the true-blue originals.

Considering you found these five, and only these five issues, I would think the likelihood of them being the originals is low. Are your papers folded into quarters?

Either way, the papers are worth money. The reprinted set often sells for between $200-$300 on the open market. Originals would obviously go much higher.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Chris Scott
Police Constable
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian
Just to add to what Stephen said: there was a further reissue (at least in UK) of some of these editions in 1988 - I have a copy of the 6 October issue which I bought then.
Hope yours are originals but just to let you know there are later reprints about.
Chris

AP Wolf
Detective Sergeant
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll probably get lambasted for saying this, but I was wondering whether there might be a rodent infestation in the house as well?

Ian Whiteland-Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your input, especially Stephen and Chris. The papers are folded in quarters as suggested. I'm not to sure of AP Wolf cryptic comment, but we do live in a rural area so rodents are not that uncommon

Thanks

Ian

Tommy Simpson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What big eyes you have,I also smell a rat here Mr Wolf. It seems the subject of JTR, has once again attracted the attention of a hoaxer! But i have a bound library copy of Punch, for the period, June-December, 1888, with all the references, and full page prints relating to the Ripper murders,(including the famous, "Nemesis of Neglect", print)offers anyone.

Bob Hinton
Detective Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Tommy Simpson wants to contact me by email I'll make him an offer for his book.

Bob

Dave McWhorter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone

Im looking for The penny Issue that has Mary Kelly's place is on the cover.
Dave.Mc

clive chamberlain
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

I am a serving police officer and have three Illustrated Police News Newspapers from, 1888 and I believe them to be originals. (I am aware that various copies have been printed over the years.)

They are dated:

Saturday Sept 22nd 1888 (Cover has details of murder of Annie Chapman)

Saturday November 17th 1888 (cover has details of "seventh murder" - Miller's Court)

The other one does not have a date on the front but covers the Berner Street Victim.

I also have what I believe to be an original of a newspaper called "The National Police Gazette" dated Wednesday May 26th 1897. I received all of these papers at the same time from the one source.

They are all in very good condition. I had the Police News ones framed in the mid 90's. The other is more of a sporting newspaper and contains some risque cartoons.

To explain how I received them: In 1974, I began to collect police helmet plates, my uncle was a police officer and had given me one or two old ones to start off with.

BBC Radio 2 Broadcast a programme called "The Charlie Chester Show" back in the 1970s and one Sunday afternoon these Police Newspapers were advertised 'free' to a good home.

I wrote to the programme explaining that I was 14 years old and of my interest in police history. The owner of the newspapers then wrote to my Father, saying that I could have them, but, that they were somewhat maccabre and he wanted to make sure that it would be okay.

My Father agreed and that's how I happen to have them. The owner was from Liverpool, elderly and wrote that they had been in his family for years but that he had no interest in them.

I do not wish to sell these papers, but would be interested to learn if there are many others around and how much they might be worth?

Any ideas?

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clive,

Evenin all !

I wish I could help you but I cannot....but I do hope that someone can.

I believe Stewart Evans may be in the know. I therefore request this, can anyone out there help Clive by getting in touch with Stewart ?

I for one would be interested in the outcome.

Many thanks....and Good luck to you Clive,

Monty
:-)
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

clive chamberlain
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Further to my post in April, I would still be interested to receive any info re the newspapers, as to date have had no replies.

Thanks

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.