Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Banner and Pop-Up Advertisements Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » Banner and Pop-Up Advertisements « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if you haven't noticed it already, the volume of pop-up advertisements on the Casebook has been steadily increasing over the past several weeks. Unfortunately this has become necessary, as the price of advertising continues to fall down, down, down. I have implemented scripts that will attempt to minimize the number of pop-ups any one visitor will see in a single session, but the annoyance factor is still there and I want to apologize in advance.

Those who wish to avoid these petty annoyances may be happy to learn that I've also implemented a "No-ads" policy for all users who have either purchased a Casebook CD-Rom or made a donation to the site. These accounts will remove all banner and pop-up ads not only from the message boards, but from the entire Casebook as well (or at least most of it, I'm still working out the bugs).

I've already emailed notice to those who have been granted these "No-ad" accounts. If you've purchased a CD-Rom or sent in a donation recently, and you've not yet received a "no-ad" account - please email me so I can set it up for you.

Anyone who sends in a donation of $10US or more will automatically be given a "no-ad" account - same goes for all future CD-Rom purchases. Just let me know your existing username when you send through payment.

More info on donations and cds can be found at:

http://www.casebook.org/about_the_casebook/funding.html
http://www.casebook.org/cdrom.html

Thanks!
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

I am still getting pop-up messages on the boards even though I am a registered user. (No less than an Inspector, if I do say so myself) I wonder if anyone else is having this problem.

All The Best
Gary

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. I have bought the ROM and made a donation, I should have mentioned.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary -

I'm not sure what the problem is. First let me explain how the "No-Ads" account works.

Forum users who have made a donation to the Casebook, or purchased the CD-Rom, are all given a "No Advertising" account on the Casebook. This account is the same account you use to access the message boards. When you're logged in to the message boards, the system will recognize you as a supporter and will suppress all banner/pop-up ads throughout the site.

In order to be recognized, however, you MUST be logged in to the message boards, and you MUST have cookies enabled on your Internet browser. If you do not have cookies enabled, the system has no way of knowing who you are, and you will be shown advertisements like any other normal user.

You are considered as "logged in" to the message boards after (a) posting a message using your account, (b) logging in using your username/password to access any message board functions (user list, edit profile, etc.).

If you are a "No Ads" member (and Gary, you are), and even after posting several messages you find that advertisements are still showing, you probably are refusing cookies via your browser.

In order to enable cookies on Internet Explorer, do the following:

1. In IE, click on "Tools" in the top menu.
2. Select "Internet Options"
3. Select the "Privacy" tab
4. Select the "Accept All Cookies" option, by sliding the indicator all the way to the bottom.

Unfortunately I can not provide instructions on how to do this for any other browser, though the method should be similar.

Gary - please check to see if your cookies are enabled, that is the only possible solution I can think of. What browser are you using? Are you using a PC or a MAC?
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

Many thanks.

Gary

Bob Hinton
Detective Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Friends, Colleagues, Ripperologists,

Pop up ads are a nuisance - but surely it would be a greater nuisance not to have these boards? Lets us grit our teeth, gird our loins ( that sounds rather rude - are there any loin girders out there who can explain the process?) and go forward together, strong in our determination not to let pop ups pixx us off.

You're doing a great job Stephen good on yer!

Bob

Billy Markland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen, doesn't "girding your loins" translate into baseball language as ensuring your protective cup is correctly positioned?

Billy

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

I was just wondering, if you sign up to be a registered user do you HAVE to make a donation? I know this probably sounds bad on my part but I was curious about it. I don't mind the pop ups really as if i've been on it for a while at a time they don't come up anymore on my pc (don't know if that applies to everyone) so i was wondering as I was thinking of registering as it's frustrating not to have my posts come up straight away but I was wondering if the "donation" was necessary.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah -

Not at all - donations are completely voluntary. You can register for an account without donating to the Casebook.

- Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. Must register straight away then.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.