Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

How many other yards were there off B... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » How many other yards were there off Berners Street? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Debra J. Arif
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dj

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know of any other yards off Berners Street apart from Dutfields Yard?
I have come across a watercolour of a yard off Berners Street Spitalfields painted before 1940 with the familiar stable type building at the end of it and large gates at the entrance painted from an overhead angle, it says the yard is now Basil House, does anyone know where Basil house is located?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4997
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

I can't say where it is but I imagine it's a block of flats (there's a reference to Flat 17 Basil House in the London Gazette). I assume it gets its name from Basil Henriques.

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Thanks for that, yes you are right as I see the picture was actually done by Basil's wife.I take it Berner Street was renamed after Basil Henriques too?
The picture is of a yard off Berners Street Stepney not Spitalfields as I stated.
It looks like it could be a later overhead view of Dutfields yard but I am not sure, has anyone come across the picture before?
Debra

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 645
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra, Robert

There was a stable yard on the eastern side of Berner Street between Commercial Road and Fairclough Street. A long white coloured building about four storeys tall covers the site now. I would presume this is the yard in the painting. Dutfields Yard was demolished and built over about 1910. Is there a date on the painting of when it was done?

This is Berner Street from 1894. There is another yard at the North East end of Berner Street which is still there.

Rob

Debra J. Arif
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert C
Thanks for the map, looking at the stable yard you pointed out, it corresponds exactly to the size and shape of the yard in the picture,the view is the same angle as in the map, and as Rose Henriques who painted the picture married Basil in 1916 after Dutfield's Yard was demolished I would say that you are right about it being that one.
The only thing that threw me a bit was on the painting there seems to be a street running west to east along the back of the yard.
Thanks
Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4998
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra and Rob

I may have been wrong about Basil House being named after Henriques, because it could have been this guy :
Biographical history: Basil Bernstein (1924-2000) was educated at Christ's College, Finchley, London. After War Service in the RAF, he went on to study Sociology at the London School of Economics, graduating in 1951. Meanwhile he also undertook social work, being a resident Settlement worker at the Bernard Baron Settlement, Berner Street, Stepney, London from 1947-1949 where he undertook family case work, youth club work, community organisation and participated in 'delinquent camps’.

(From
http://www.ioe.ac.uk/library/archives/bb.html)

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
I think it was the same place whichever Basil it was named after, Basil Henriques founded the original Oxford and st George club in Canon Street and Bernard Baron funded it's move to Berners Street.
Debra

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.