Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Downloading Photos To Message Boards Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » Downloading Photos To Message Boards « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 9:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day guys,

How the %&(*5 do you download photos to the message boards.

Jules

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules,

Scroll down to Help/Instructions on the bottom of the page, and then go to 'Formatting' and then 'Other Formatting' -- 'Images, Attachments, and Clipart'. There you'll see a help example and a description.

You need to type in the URL code: \image and then directly after the saved name of the picture within { } (see Help/Instructions) where you want your image to appear in your post.

Then after your post is ready to be posted, choose Post/Preview as usual and you will be asked to create a link to the picture on your hard disk like any other file you attach, like for example in an email.

Note that the picture won't show until the message is posted on the Boards. If it doesn't work or you want to change the size, you have to go to Edit.

Also note that images must be either GIF or JPEG format and that they can't be larger than 600 X 600 in resolution.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jules,

I know how you feel. First time I did it, 12 attempts! Actually it is set up very well indeed once you know the little tricks........and is very easy.

You need to make sure that your pic is less than 200 k in size - 600 pixels square and no more. Save it as a jpg.

There are actually different kinds of jpgs and some upload and some don't, but when you save the file you should get a dialogue box up with the different kinds of jpg available. You want to ideally use the one marked 'progressive' Baseline standard sometimes works and Baseline optimized doesn't so don't bother.

Then if you type your post. click on upload attachment you should be fine.

If you get stuck email them to me and I will bung them up for you.

Big hug

Jane

xxxxx

Okay Andersson, you beat me to it that time, but watch your back.......anyway it worked out pretty well.......hee hee because you put all the bits down that I didn't!

(Message edited by jcoram on August 21, 2005)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4822
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jules

I'm computer illiterate, so I can only do very basic things. I just right click and then when "save as" comes up, I save the pic. If you're allowed to save it as a jpeg straight away, that's fine. If you're instead offered bmp, you have to save it as that, then go into paint and convert it to a jpeg. While in paint, you may have to chop bits off, because you're only allowed 600x600. But there's nothing to stop you breaking it up into chunks and posting one under the other. That's what I do, if necessary, with the newspaper images.

I'm still waiting for the Star Trek computers that you can instruct verbally.

Robert

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3968
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha! Okay Janie.
I forgot to mention the uploading, among other things. :-)

It is tricky in the beginning, but once one gets the hang of it, it works splendidly.

All the best

G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 837
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules..

What Robert said is very important about the parameters.

If a document or photo is 599 x 599 [as an example...], you can load it up..

However,if what you want to upload is 601 x 100, which is substantially smaller than the first size above, it won't post as at least one of the dimensions of the item exceeds that 600 pixels limit.

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks heaps guys, most helpful.

Now I'm even more confuzzed!

Hey Howard, geat photo in your profile mate, watchya doin? catchin flies:-)

Thanks again everyone.

Take care
Jules

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 839
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules...

No sir...just out trying to pick up girls. Look at the lumps on Jane's head sometime.

By the way....did you get those e-mail addresses I sent?

Later....

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 6:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah mate I did, thanks.

Take care
Jules

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.