Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Female Historians Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Female Historians « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 29, 2005Jennifer Pegg50 7-29-05  5:16 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni - Florence Maybrick was indeed convicted of murdering James Maybrick, and sentenced to hang. The trial was controversial to say the least, and I'd recommend the transcript of the the proceedings. (The judge was the father of J. K. Stephen; it's a small Ripper world!)

Bottom line is that her having an affair didn't help her case, but after conviction public opinion swung in her favor, and she didn't hang.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Jenni,
Sounds like Brer Howie might be down a rabbit hole somewhere and that our poor little friend might be the victim of a gang of very nasty male rabbits!
What can be done?

Judith A. Stock
Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Robert...yes, I've read the "Fifteen Lost Years" and it's a tragic story. Read Stephen's report about his trip to Kent, Connecticut, and seeing her resting place; the squalor in which she lived out her life was truly terrible, considering her origins (or NOT considering them)....can't say I blame her for not going back to Alabama, though!

Since Maybrick was an arsenic-eater, I have serious doubts about whether he was abruptly poisoned by Florrie; altogether too convenient by half, if you ask me!

And ISN'T it a small world?.....Elder Stephen the judge?? Younger Stephen the Ripper suspect?? BOTH Stephens the nut jobs? OH, YES! Just another thing that makes you go "hmmmmmmmm".

Have a grand weekend!

Judy

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

it seems that in fact we nearly all know. my mistake

So spill the beans - what film have you heard about, who is your source, and who is his/her source?

It can hardly be a secret can it?

Love,

Caz
X

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yes, Jenni,

Do tell Caroline. She deserves it. Because she never hints at anything "ongoing" without then quickly and fully explaining it and giving all the details.

I see the fungus continues to spread,

--John

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline,

I'm sorry for mentioning the film/book/film/book/film - book

I assume I'm wrong if you of all people don't know and will now shut up about it.

Jenni

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

You know what happens when you "assume."

--John

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

what happens when you assume, i'm curious to know.

I'll buy Caroline a ticket when it comes out! Lol!

Jenni

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

It's an old joke -- I'll send it to you off list.

Meanwhile, we know what we know.

All the best,

--John

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 751
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and not to forget:

Sue Parlour [ of the Parlours ]co-author of Jack The Ripper-The Whitechapel Murders

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..psst...OI... Jenny!
Roger the Rascal Bunny"s "in the house"!

Are you there?

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2748
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where am I?

i dont get ya!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shame on you Jenny!
Here am I -ready to defend one of our poor sisters who has been taken prisoner in some dungeon by some heartless rascal pumping her for information for all he is worth and you start to
play silly buggers all of a sudden!Honestly Jenny
if we are to take them on you cant suddenly do a runner!
Nats

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 752
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Heck

Dear Mishsus Nats:

I wuzzint kidden wen I said I hav more chaynz an handcufs than wimmen down here...ha ha...keep that pokin into my bizzinez and you could find yerself sitting besid Nina...

"O, have you seen the Ally,
wit her backside all spanked up?"..
Caz a'shackled titely and leeshed like a pup.."

Yers truly....

P.S...ran out of the red stuff and had to use Hi-C froot jewse...ha ha...

Will be in Leicester twonite for to tayk anuther girl..hav to pick up the pace a "Pegg" or too...

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr Heck,
You are so brave and strong and handsome
----we all adore you-----we positively yearn to be punished and humiliated but alas-
-some of us here are descended from those Sirens of ancient Greece who knew how to trick Ulysees"s men and turn them into swine!Some of us have been taught the secrets of those songs...so beware!

Yours Adoringly

Natalie

x

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is now beyond weird.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mmmm....curiouser and curiouser......but Alice still seems to be down that rabbit hole!

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*From Hell*

Har har,Mish Pegg...

I seen you wayting fer the bus..coulda,woulda,shoulda taken yer wit me...but have enuff Surreygate wimmen fur now...Leicester ish a small town...can come back tonite...don't feel left out becawse I won't forget you..plenty of room in cellar for anudder dweller...

Yer liteheaded friend

P.S..I see they say I am an moron now...nebber underesteemate the police...they are right as rayn on that...

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 4:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

I'll buy Caroline a ticket when it comes out!

Look, if a film is ever made along the lines your source assumes it will, I'll buy you the cinema.

Hi How,

Caz a'shackled titely and leeshed like a pup.."

How the bleeping bleep did you know about that??? You must have crystal balls. Is nothing secret in this place, except assumed film plots?

Love,

Caz
X

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 6:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

I hope Caroline's offer is the same if a book along those lines ever comes out, too.

I've always wanted to know someone who owns a bookstore.

--John

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 7:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John

I think Caroline Morris has been a bit reckless in offering to buy Jenni a cinema, seeing that Jenni was careful not to say what her source assumed about the film.

Chris Phillips

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its a shame cos i've always wanted my own cinema. But oh well.

I feel we stray off topic slightly!

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 3:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

...about the film.

So you believe in this mythical diary film?

Even Jenni has finally twigged that she ain't getting a cinema.

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

So you believe in this mythical diary film?

Well, there are certainly still rumours about a film.

Maybe you could answer John's question. Has the film just metamorphosed into a book proposing Michael Maybrick as a suspect?

Then again, given recent events, would you necessarily know anyway?

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You believe whatever rumours you like, Chris.

I know nothing of any current plans for a film - or a book - based on the diary. Neither have I any idea if Michael Maybrick will ever be proposed as either a forger or a serial killer.

But I'll be delighted if a new book is eventually commissioned on the findings of the ongoing diary investigation. I think it's important for people to know if Mike Barrett really had a hand in its creation, rather than let them get away with, "Oh well, he brought the thing forward and is a proven liar, therefore if he goes down in history as a forger he's only got himself to blame. Too bad if it's not the truth and history suffers accordingly".

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

I know nothing of any current plans for a film - or a book - based on the diary.

If only you'd just said you didn't know in the first place - instead of insisting it was a "fantasy" - we could have saved a few dozen messages. Not for the first time, of course.

Chris Phillips

PS Have the courtesy to stop suggesting I "believe" the rumours. With every fresh embarrassment on your part I keep hoping you'll stop making things up about people, but it seems to be a forlorn hope.

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After once again playfully invoking the super secret squirrel "ongoing investigation," Caroline Morris writes:

"I think it's important for people to know if Mike Barrett really had a hand in its creation, rather than let them get away with, 'Oh well, he brought the thing forward and is a proven liar, therefore if he goes down in history as a forger he's only got himself to blame. Too bad if it's not the truth and history suffers accordingly'."

I suppose her actually telling us who she is quoting (or paraphrasing) here is too much to ask. After all, citing sources and specific references and dealing with the words people actually write would indicate a certain level of simple responsibility and decent scholarship.

Any chance we'll get that here, or will this mysterious, uncited, unreferenced straw-man of a quotation just be allowed to stand on its own?

Watch, everyone, and see, and you'll once again learn all you need to know about how the debate in Diary World (and even here on the other infected threads) always takes place.

I'm betting there'll be no reference, no citation, no source, and no explanation. Ever.

And that should tell you all you need to know.

It's almost embarrassing,

--John

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a point - talking of the "ongoing investigation", I don't think Caroline Morris ever did explain why it had to be a secret who was funding it.

And here it is, popping up in connection with Bruce Robinson's rumoured film and/or book pushing Michael Maybrick as a suspect.

Funny, that.

Chris Phillips

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

You'll be told nothing. It's how things are done by at least one side of this little pretend debate.

Here again, by the way, is the mysterious quote we're not supposed to "let them get away with":

"Oh well, he brought the thing forward and is a proven liar, therefore if he goes down in history as a forger he's only got himself to blame. Too bad if it's not the truth and history suffers accordingly."

Now, the crucial question is...

What "them?" Who said this (or anything like this)? When? Where?

I do hope Caroline will provide us with a source or citation or explanation for this, the way any respectable writer using (or creating) such a quotation would.

If not, then I think we can safely assume no one has ever said any such thing and that she knows this and is being deliberately deceitful in attacking a position no one holds.

I hope this is not the case.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

--John

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2764
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well I doubt I can claim guilt for saying that all things considered.
"Uncle Bulgaria,He can remember the days when he wasn't behind The Times"

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

PS Have the courtesy to stop suggesting I "believe" the rumours.

You make the rumours, by suggesting the ongoing investigation with which I am involved is connected with a rumour about some film or book on Michael Maybrick, which you admit, with the above request, that you don't even believe yourself.

Michael Maybrick just doesn't figure in the ongoing investigation Keith asked me to mention on the boards.

Love,

Caz
X

(Message edited by caz on August 03, 2005)

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't you know, Chris...

It's a mystery. You're only allowed to know so much. You can't know who's funding it, you can't know the names of all those conducting it, you can't know how it operates, you can't know what it is really. You're just supposed to bow your head at the invocation of the single sacred name and have faith.

It's just like long ago, when someone else came here and told us he knew all about something, he was "involved" in something, that none of us knew about. But he wasn't going to tell us, either.

Caroline is finally behaving precisely like Melvin Harris once did.

Who'd have ever thunk it?

Enjoying the world now,

--John

PS: In case anyone missed it, you'll notice Caroline still did not offer a source or an identification or even a general origin for the quote she cited earlier on this thread. Undocumented, unattributed sources and positions -- it's the tell tale sign of a bad scholar (or just someone who isn't being honest in their writing).

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

which you admit, with the above request, that you don't even believe yourself.

Only you could interpret a request to stop making things up - by making something else up!

Sticking to the facts is obviously a completely alien concept to you.

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 6:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

You wrote:

PS Have the courtesy to stop suggesting I "believe" the rumours.

You now describe this as a request that I 'stop making things up'.

In other words, you are telling me that any suggestion that you believe the rumours is simply not true.

In the next breath you are saying that it is also untrue to suggest that you don't believe the rumours.

The only remaining option is that you actually have no idea whether to believe the rumours or not. So how good, on a scale of one to ten, do you think it is making you look, to keep attacking my character from a position of admitted ignorance?

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

Let me try to explain in very, very simple terms.

(1) I haven't said I believe the rumours.

(2) I haven't said I disbelieve the rumours.

(3) So anything you may say on that subject is something you've made up yourself.

Got it?

Chris Phillips

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 8:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is getting stupid now. And I'm not saying i'm not being stupid myself. I am indeed the queen of stupidness lots of times.

And now we've cleared that up.

The fact that we can all read plain English really should mean we don't have to keep getting involved in discussions about what was or was not said.

As for this film/book/film/book/film-book, time will tell i guess

And if it doesn't - then we really should none of us give a monkeys about it, right?

Jenni

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

You write:

"The fact that we can all read plain English really should mean we don't have to keep getting involved in discussions about what was or was not said."

You're right, it should.

So let's see.

Who said the following about Mike?

"Oh well, he brought the thing forward and is a proven liar, therefore if he goes down in history as a forger he's only got himself to blame. Too bad if it's not the truth and history suffers accordingly."

Caroline claims it represents the position of someone here, but she won't say who. Of course, that doesn't stop her from attacking this position as if it truly were someone's.

Now, I can read English. And I've read all the words in Diary World. I can't find a source for this. And the writer above is simply not responsible enough to offer the source herself.

And that's why we have "discussions like this" even though we all share a common language.

It's sad, but true. It's what happen when people just make things up.

Just demonstrating the problem,

--John

(Message edited by omlor on August 05, 2005)

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

and glad we agree that I'm right. really i don't think we need to say anything else on the subject ...

As for that quote, i know i didn't say it and you didn't say it and chris didn't say it. i don't know if anyone said it or not

should we care? as long as you didnt say it then its not your problem is it?

Jenni

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

You ask me, "as long as you didnt say it then its not your problem is it?"

Well, yes. It is. And here's why -- When a discussion is taking place and people start making up quotes and creating imaginary posters and arguing against positions that don't even really exist, it affects the discussion as a whole and everyone who is in it. If one person in the discussion is simply willing to use unattributed and perhaps even totally fictional positions and quotations in their own work, then it immediately renders everything else they might write untrustworthy. And consequently the discussion slowly but surely becomes an impossible one, since one of its participants is no longer bound by accuracy or by reference or by the simple law of identifying who one is talking about when they are attacking positions.

So, even though I know that I didn't say it and you didn't say it and no one else here said it, it still matters to those of us who participate here -- because if no one said it or anything like it, then we are in the presence of someone who will just say anything, who will just make up entire people and positions, who will offer quotes from nowhere, and who will not feel bound by the standard rules of responsible reading and citation. And everyone else in the discussion should know that.

That's why, even though I didn't say it, it's still "my problem."

Hope that's reasonable and clear,

--John

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Listen to that what is it? (I'll email you!)

yeah understood

Jenni

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

someone did say

"I don't feel responsible for the suspicions that Barrett has placed squarely on his own shoulders. Sorry."

maybe thats what Caroline meant?

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

If that is the line that started Caroline on this latest attack of hers, then she is going for option number 2 of the 3 choices I posted earlier.

Because there is nothing at all in that line about believing that if Mike did not do it, he should be known as a forger anyway and history and the truth don't matter.

Here's the quote you've just cited:

"I don't feel responsible for the suspicions that Barrett has placed squarely on his own shoulders.

Here's the way Caroline has her imaginary poster putting it:

If Caroline, or anyone for that matter, believe these two citations say the same thing, then perhaps we do NOT all speak the same language.

If she was offering her quotation as a fair and accurate representation of the one you've just cited, then she really should be ashamed of herself.

In any case, the only reason we have to play this stupid little guessing game is because Caroline has not been responsible enough to cite her source directly or to identify who she's talking about or to offer even a single reference for her mysterious attacks.

And that is one of the consequences of such bad scholarship, Jenni. And that's why it's everyone's problem.

Thanks for the opportunity to demonstrate this,

--John

Ally
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Ally

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh for Christ sake. John, you have really pissed me now because I am having to jump in and defend Caroline, which thank you so much, is a position that irritates me, but jumping jesus on a pogo stick! 25 posts about "who said what Caroline quoted, no one that's who" is just ridiculous.

Anyone with half a brain, and I cannot believe Mr. Phd, maybe I should make that Dr. Phd in English, can't just accept that when Caroline made that quote she was summing up her view on the arguments against Barret and not quoting a specific poster. People do it all the time. I even did it about four lines up.

It's common, it is accepted practice on a message board by everyone who is not excessively anal, obsessive and nit-picky, so can we at least lay this one to rest. Caroline has many, many, many flaws that we can rightly pick at, so at the very least, choose one of those, if you are going to broken record it.

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

If you go now to the Poste Houe thread, you'll see you are wrong. Caroline was not offering us some vague (and inaccurate) composite of what everyone has generally said here about Mike.

She was referring to a specific line from a specific post.

And she has just finally told us what that line was in a post on that other thread.

And, of course, it looks nothing at all like the quotation she offered us here.

And, incidentally, no one here has ever said anything even remotely like, "Oh well, he brought the thing forward and is a proven liar, therefore if he goes down in history as a forger he's only got himself to blame. Too bad if it's not the truth and history suffers accordingly."

So even if it had been intended to be a paraphrase of a composite of positions, it would have been a brazenly inaccurate and misleading one.

But go to the Poste House thread and read her post and see what I mean.

Sorry,

--John

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey folks, there are nearly 60 -- five dozen -- threads on these boards dedicated to things Maybrick, the Diary, the Watch and so on. Surely that provides enough scope for all the seemingly interminable squabbles that characterise Diary World. Or so I would hope.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Point taken, Don.

Sorry about the temporary infection.

If you scrub the thread with Lysol after we're gone, it should get rid of most of the virile contamination.

Back to where we belong,

--John

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

I'm guilty myself at times so no big deal or need for the scrub brush. As it is, I'm reminded of a joke I read in an old pre-WW2 magazine. It seems a teacher with a number of foreign students in his class assigned that a theme be written about the elephant. The youngster from England wrote "How to Hunt an Elephant," the Frenchman wrote "How to Make an Elephant Elegantly Edible," the German opined on "Hannibal's Use of the Elephant in Warfare" and the Polish chap wrote "The Elephant and the Polish Question." Somehow I sense that today there'd be a few in that class who'd want to write about "The Elephant, James Maybrick and the Diary."

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don,

No question about it.

All the best,

--John

Ally
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Ally

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually John, sorry, you're full of crap. The post is about 10 posts up. She says, and here I quote, " I think it's important for people to know if Mike Barrett really had a hand in its creation, rather than let them get away with, "Oh well, he brought the thing forward and is a proven liar, therefore if he goes down in history as a forger he's only got himself to blame. Too bad if it's not the truth and history suffers accordingly". "

How can you even attempt to claim she is quoting a specific poster when she quite clearly states: "let them get away with it". It is clear that she is engaging in generalization, which as I stated above, is obvious to anyone who is not being an anal obsessive nitpicky prat. Now considering that you constantly deplore people's inability to comprehend the most obvious meanings in text, I am surprised that you would take this absolutely ridiculous stance, and what's worse, harp on it until it makes you look as silly as you claim Caroline is.

This is just getting stupid.

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those playing along, you can find my response to Ally on the Poste House thread, as per my agreement with Don.

Thanks,

--John

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ally,

Caroline has many, many, many flaws that we can rightly pick at, so at the very least, choose one of those, if you are going to broken record it.

I think that's what makes us human.

Broken recording other people's flaws, as John likes to do in his free time, is also a sign of being human - but it's also a flaw in itself. So paradoxically, all the while he broken records a flaw of someone else's, he's broken recording one of his own, under his own name - and for posterity, when it's not on Pub Talk.

Love,

Caz
X

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried, Don.

Honestly, I tried.

--John

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

female historians hey,

Alison Weir, she is a female historian, great books, but sadly not on the topic the person who started this thread was referring too.

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

Alison Weir. Hmm. I've heard some pretty scathing comments.

Chris Phillips

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 682
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back to the topic. Why is there is such a beast as a 'Female' historian, anyway? Or a 'Female Doctor'? Or a Female Poet?

Does the same thing work with "Male?" I can only think of two examples. A Male Nurse. And a Male Stripper.
Because everyone knows that women are either Nurses or Strippers, right?

And why is it that I never see any Female Profilers? Except, of course, the Ficitonal Variety that becoming a stalking victim in the third chapter. Now that says something interesting about Profiling, methinks. How would our profiling friends be different if Ressler and Douglas were women? Point to ponder. RP

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 969
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi R.J.

Well, I'm not sure how much this has to do with her being a woman, but I think Pat Brown might be one female profiler you might find refreshing, although I'm not sure she has access to Ressler's apparent master database of serial killers world-wide, including China, the former Soviet Union, Iran, etc.

Cheers,
Dave

Christopher Lowe
Sergeant
Username: Clowe

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On R.J. Palmers point the reasons for their being 'female historians' or 'male nurses' is that in terms of gender historians and other academics are seen as masculine professions even if in some academic departments as much as 50% or more of those working there may be women. In addition women historians seem to be rarer than women sociologists and other types of academic.

Likewise careers such as nursing are seen as feminine, despite the prescence of male nurses. These gender roles are embedded into our society and reflect the women are from Venus men from Mars idea.

Chris Lowe

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.