Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Drama of Jack the Ripper in Charlotte... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » Drama of Jack the Ripper in Charlotte, NC, Sept 16-18 '05 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Actors Scene Unseen of Charlotte, North Carolina, who are responsible for the radio internet play "Saucy Jack" are sponsoring a weekend of theatre and talks, "The Drama of Jack the Ripper" in Charlotte, North Carolina, September 16-18, 2005.

Featured will be the U.S. premiere of my musical, "Jack--The Musical," with lyrics by myself and music by French composer Erik Sitbon and the world premiere of "13 Miller's Court" by North Carolina native James Jeffrey Paul, whom some of you may remember from the last Baltimore convention in 2004.

Also featured during the weekend will be talks by Stan Russo, Dan Norder, Dr. James Bailey, Joe Chetcuti, and Christopher T. George as well as panel discussions with audience participation.

I hope to see a number of my friends from Casebook there on this one-time special weekend. Actors Scene Unseen hope to offer something a little different to the annual convention series in the U.S. and U.K., and I know a number of us will be attending both upcoming U.S. events, the Charlotte weekend and the exciting Baltimore weekend April 21-23, 2006, planned with Don Rumbelow, Alan Sharp, and other notable speakers.

Full details of the September 16-18 weekend in Charlotte, NC, are at http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp or contact "Insp. Abberline" who will reply to all of your questions. Call 704-533-1187 or email to abberline@colorview.com

All the best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many of us on Casebook are professionally involved with the theatre, eh? Loads of us!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

C.G.

Does Dave O'Flaherty have a role in this play ?
If so,then I'll need to take some more tomatoes..

Seriously,good luck with this. It sounds pretty damned good.

To your success !

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Philip and Howard. It should be a good weekend. Drama, talks, controversy, ripping, what more could you ask for? laugh

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Wishing you all the best for this upcoming event. Wish I could be there! Sadly, I won't be getting any time off until the end of next next April.. (after the 2006 conference, doggoneit!) my supervisor doesn't seem to realise that Ripper events are of the utmost importance

I'll be there in spirit, though - at both events.

Love,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn

Thanks. Wish you could be there, too, Love!!! love

Lyn, please wish Pompey's rivals Liverpool well in the Champions League Cup Final against AC Milan in Istanbul on Wednesday. I won't be going to Turkey for the match but will be watching on television. LFC

One of my latest projects might be to write the lyrics for a song for Liverpool as the European City of Culture for 2008 with Sir Paul McCartney. The Liverpool Daily Post is inviting readers to submit lyrics for such a song, for which Sir Paul has said he would write the music.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

You'll have your chance when I bring my one-man musical "Good Night, Old C*ck" to Philly :-)

Charlotte sounds like fun.

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave....

....and thats a definitely ascertained fact !

I wanna front row seat !

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

For those wondering what my presentation at the Drama of the Ripper Weekend will be about, it is titled "The Many Myths of Mary Jane Kelly." It is a slideshow and lecture about the various stories and ideas that built up about MJK's life and death, with a critical examination of which are based upon fact and which just came from the need to make things more dramatic. The slideshow end of things will have contemporary illustrations, modern interpretations and, perhaps most uniquely, several digitally-enhanced versions of the crime scene photos.

The techniques involved with that last one include tonal adjustment, sharpening, combining of the different versions of the same photo to bring out extra details, comparisons between the two different angles, and pattern recognition using the same software law enforcement uses to clear up blurry images of license plates. Closeups of these enhanced photographs will be used to discuss the nature of the wounds on the body, the alleged writing on the wall, the location of items in the room, and so forth. Because these kind of images are difficult to reproduce on paper (printing them out requires about four times the resolution as on screen and also converts things to little rosette shaped printers dots, losing details in the process) this is something that really needs to be seen in the context of a slideshow presentation to appreciate.

At some point some of these enhanced photos may eventually show up in Ripper Notes, and a few in earlier form have already been posted here at the Casebook, but this will be the only way to see them all... Or, at least all the ones I can fit into the presentation within the time constraints and around some other myths I'll tackle.

So, if you saw the title of my presentation listed somewhere and thought this was going to be the same-old-same-old lecture about Mary Jane Kelly with facts you already know, that's not the case. Besides the photo enhancements I'll also run through some other myths -- at least one of which I've never seen discussed anywhere before -- along with other accompanying images to keep things lively.

Barring a repeat at some future conference (for which I probably would have a whole new slideshow on a different topic anyway) and some edited down versions in print, the Drama of the Ripper Weekend is most likely the only chance you have to see this.

I hope to see lots of Casebook regulars there.

Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone

Don't miss out on Drama of the Ripper Weekend coming up in Charlotte, North Carolina, September 16-18 next.

Producer Jim Vita is now including tickets to "Jack--The Musical" by myself and French composer Erik Sitbon in the weekend price of $250.

Also included is a ticket to "13 Miller's Court" by James Jeffrey Paul and the talks by Dan Norder, Stan Russo, Joe Chetcuti, and Dr. Jim Bailey.

A ticket to a conference, a play, and a musical has to be regarded as a sweet deal. For complete prices and schedule for the weekend go to

Best regards

Chris George

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, I'd really like to attend this little gathering. Not so much for the musical or the play, but just to hear Dan Norder speak. Just that alone would be worth the price of admission.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Scott. I hope you will be able make it to Charlotte. I would look forward to meeting you. :-)

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I have been pleased to receive the following from Jim Vita who is producing my musical for the Drama of the Ripper Weekend of dramatic presentations and talks on the Whitechapel murders coming up in Charlotte, North Carolina, September 16-18 next.

Jim Vita expresses the views of himself, wife Elizabeth and director Scott McKenzie about "Jack--The Musical" written by myself, as lyricist along with French composer Erik Sitbon--

"Scott feels this production really 'has legs' and he is one of the few people in Charlotte to know that. We already discussed adding a Sunday evening performance, since we are already 'loaded in' and believe it may be that popular. I also have to add, that everyone who hears the demo is dazzled by the music and the lyrics. This is a wonderful opportunity and Elizabeth and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I think you and Erik will be very, very pleased in September."

Registrations are coming in for the Charlotte Ripper weekend, so don't be left out. Send yours in now.

As I noted last week, Producer Jim Vita is now including tickets to "Jack--The Musical" in the weekend price of $250.

Also included is a ticket to "13 Miller's Court" by James Jeffrey Paul and the talks by Dan Norder, Stan Russo, Joe Chetcuti, and Dr. Jim Bailey.

A ticket to a conference, a play, and a musical is a good deal. For complete prices and schedule for the weekend go to

Best regards

Chris George

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

James Vita
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 7:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to all you fellow Ripper followers from the producer of the Drama of the Ripper event. I hope you won't overlook this once in a lifetime chance to participate in a truly extraordinary event.

The Dunhill hotel is Charlotte's only Victorian style hotel and a historical landmark. The Booth playhouse is one of Charlotte's largest professional theatre venues.

We are planning a professional and lavish production of Jack - The Musical and Miller's Court. Scott McKenzie is our musical director for Jack - The Musical. Scott is a composer, musician, and conductor. He has directed numerous musical productions and has served as the conductor for our own "Carolina Voices". Our production of Jack - The Musical is a musical thriller that will knock you off your feet. Our own Dr. Elizabeth is directing Miller's Court and if you've wondered about the encounter between Jack and Mary Kelly, this is a realistic and startling interpretation.

The conference price now includes tickets to both performances on Saturday. This a great deal, two shows, the conferences, and world-class receptions at the Dunhill Hotel. Our fabulous speaker program will bring the Ripper to life for the weekend.

If you ever wanted to be part of an extraordinary event, this is it. Every one who hears Jack - The Musical says, it is going places. Who knows, the next Broadway sensation?

Jim Vita
Executive Producer, Actors Scene Unseen

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jim

Thanks for those kind words about "Jack--The Musical", Jim, much appreciated. September 16-18 in Charlotte should be a weekend to remember what with the U.S. premiere of my musical, the U.S. premiere of "13 Miller's Court" by James Jeffrey Paul and the talks by Dan Norder, Stan Russo, Joe Chetcuti, and Dr. Jim Bailey covering all the different aspects of the case. Here's to Charlotte! applaud

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Looking forward to getting more signups for the upcoming weekend of talks and drama on Jack the Ripper in Charlotte, North Carolina. It will be great to see the U.S. premiere of my musical as well as to hear the talks by Dan Norder, Stan Russo, Joe Chetcuti, and Dr. Jim Bailey on various aspects of the case.

Here is the full Ripper Weekend Schedule:

Friday, September 16, 2005 (Dunhill Hotel)

6:00 PM Reception, Dinner, & Champaign Toast

7:00 PM Introductions by the conference producers James Vita and Dr. Elizabeth Peterson-Vita

7:30 PM Keynote Speech by Stan Russo

9:30 PM Introduction by Joe Chetcuti followed by a panel discussion led by Christopher T. George and Joe Chetcuti on "The Nefarious Career of Dr. Francis J. Tumblety"

Saturday, September 17, 2005 (Booth Playhouse)

Buffet breakfast items, snacks, and beverages will be provided up until House Open of "Miller's Court"

9:00 AM Dr. James Bailey on "The Art of Profiling an Historical Case"

10:00 AM Christopher T. George and James Jeffrey Paul on "The Drama of the Ripper"

11:00 AM Dan Norder on "The Many Myths of Mary Kelly"

12:00 Noon Buffet lunch at the Booth Playhouse

1:30 PM Stan Russo on "Who Was Jack the Ripper?"

3:00 PM Matinee Performance of "Miller’s Court" by James Jeffrey Paul

5:00 PM Talk-back session with the playwright James Jeffrey Paul and the actors of "Miller’s Court"

5:30 PM Dinner (On Your Own in Charlotte, NC)

8:00 PM Evening Performance of "Jack – The Musical" by Erik Sitbon and Christopher T. George

Sunday, September 18, 2005 (Dunhill Hotel)

9:00 AM Breakfast

10:30 AM Panel Discussion with Christopher T. George, Dr. James Bailey, Dan Norder and Stan Russo "The Mind of a Serial Killer"

11:30 AM Closing Remarks

12:00 Noon Hotel Checkout Time

2:00 PM Matinee Performance of "Jack – The Musical" by Erik Sitbon and Christopher T. George (Booth Playhouse)

As stated earlier, a ticket to a conference, a play, and a musical is a good deal. For complete prices and schedule for the weekend go to

Best regards

Chris George

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Malta

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been in contact with the Operations Coordinator of the North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. I had asked if there is a possibility that a tour of the Booth Playhouse Theater can be given on Fri Sept 16th at 4pm. I chose that time slot because it didn't coincide with any of the weekend activities that had been scheduled. The Booth Playhouse is located very close to the Dunhill Hotel, too.

The Operations Coordinator said she would love to accomodate a possible tour of the Booth Playhouse, and she added that they were quite experienced with this. The tour would conclude well before the Dunhill Hotel activites start at 6pm. I told her I'd get back to her in mid-August to give her an estimate of the number of people who'd be interested in this. Even if I'm the only one, I'll go alone! I really like empty theater tours and checking out the behind-the-scenes stuff. It's just the researcher in me! Boston's Symphony Hall has a great tour that's given in the afternoons, too.

If anybody has an interest in this just contact me at my e-mail address maltajoe940@yahoo.com
I'll present a tally to the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center next month. Bye! Joe

James Vita
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 6:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Ripper Community:

I regret that due to circumstances beyond our control, The Drama of the Weekend Conference has been cancelled. To those of you that registered, thank you. Rest assured, you will receive a prompt refund.

We are looking are preserving some Jack related theatre activies for the same weekend. If you interested, follow http://www.actorssceneunssen.com for unfolding details.

The CD of James Jeffrey Paul's Miller Court is on schedule and will be released by September 2005. The CD is in the final mix stage, incorporating original music by Charlotte composer and musician, Dean Kluesner. With the CD moving into the mastering stage, you will be able to hear an audio trailer in the very near future at the Actors Scene Unseen web site.

Thanks again to those of you that supported the The Drama of the Ripper event.

Best regards,

Jim Vita

James Vita
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[Repost to correct a few typos. My apologies]

Dear Ripper Community:

I regret that due to circumstances beyond our control, The Drama of the Weekend Conference has been cancelled. To those of you that registered, thank you. Rest assured, you will receive a prompt refund.

We are looking are preserving some Jack related theatre activies for the same weekend. If you are interested, please follow http://www.actorssceneunseen.com for unfolding details.

The CD of James Jeffrey Paul's Miller Court is on schedule and will be released by September 2005. The CD is in the final mix stage, incorporating original music by Charlotte composer and musician, Dean Kluesner. With the CD moving into the mastering stage, you will be able to hear an audio trailer in the very near future at the Actors Scene Unseen web site.

Thanks again to those of you that supported The Drama of the Ripper event.

Best regards,

Jim Vita

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I have been told by Jim Vita that nothing is now planned in terms of Jack productions in Charlotte, NC, for the weekend of September 16-18. Perhaps there might be the chance of doing a production of my musical further down the road, about which stay tuned. Meanwhile, as Jim indicated in his last message the CD of James Jeffrey Paul's Miller Court is on schedule and will be released by September 2005.

All my best

Chris George
Lyricist, "Jack--The Musical"
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.