Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Sotheby's: the Sims collection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Sotheby's: the Sims collection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

esm
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

according to antiquarian Eric Barton he purchased the Sims criminal collection (or parts of it) in the early 1960s on a private sale from Sotherby's.
I thought this was - and as far as I know this trace has never been pursued - a promising hint to track down some information about the Sims collection - in my wildest dreams I thought of digging up some unknown pics, since I was of the opinion that every single auction (private or public) must have been in some way recorded by Sotherby's (maybe they even photographed the items sold!).

It took me nearly five months and some nerve-wrecking correspondences (at the end I was glad to get in touch with a very helpful and friendly contact at Sotheby's) to find out that Sotherby's doesn't have one single record of the sale of Sims' collection.
I was stunned!

But what do I have to make of it?
Sotherby's confirmed that every auction - not matter whether public or private -
is recorded. So far, so good...
Is there a chance that someone out there knows the exact date of when Barton purchased it from Sotheby's?
Is it confirmed that Evans purchased it from Barton and he purchased it from Sotherby's?
Or is it just kind of a tale? Was Barton wrong when he said that he purchased it from
Sotherby's? provoking: Is the Littlechild letter a hoax?

Who knows more details than given by Stewart Evans about the origins of the Sim's collection?
What happened to the books and stuff after Eric Barton retired or passed away?
Were they left to the relatives? Were they sold on a public auction?
Did they end in a dustbin?

How did Sotherby's get in possession of the Sims collection?

Why did Barton choose Evans to offer him the four letters?
The two didn't know each other. How could Barton know that Evans was interested in the Ripper crimes? Evans was a nobody in terms of Ripperology. I guess, in those days it would have been by far more likely that the letters would have been offered to Donald Rumbelow.

There must be somehow, somewhere some more information about the Sims collection than especially provided by Stewart Evans (who's authority is unquestioned)!

Greetings from Germany

esm

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.