Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ordinance Map of 1894 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Ordinance Map of 1894 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert W. House
Inspector
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am wondering if anyone can help me identify the exact locations of the murder sites on this ordinance map. I can post my own guesses for a start to the discussion. These maps are good as they show enough detail to see individual buildings, alleys, etc.

I am especially interested if anyone can nail down the exact location of 29 Hanbury street, and the George Yard building.

http://www.casebook.org/official_documents/map/index.html

Rob

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hanbury Street site: I may be way off... was it one of the buildings in the red square?
Hanbury Street

George Yard building site: I am guessing it is this one?
George Yard

Rob

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look at the thread under General Discussion entitled Maps Showing Movements this may be of some help.
Chris

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris... that is indeed helpful. But I didn't see anything on there about Hanbury Street or George Yard. Do you have any feedback on the images I posted above?

Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

George Yard buildings is correct. You had the right area for 29 Hanbury Street, I've marked the building for you.

Bucks Row

This is Dutfields Yard, Berner Street

Mitre Sqaure

Millers Court, Dorset Street

Rob

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rob,

Thats great. How about Castle Alley (McKenzie)?
Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

I'm not 100% that that this is the exact spot, it's close probably within 10 feet either side.

Rob

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob....and Rob,

Going over the MacKenzie inquest I feel that the body was found further north. Near to the rear of the baths, around where the 'C' is in Castle Alley.

Hear are my reasons.....though I may be wrong !

Police-constable Walter Andrews, 272 H, said, - About ten minutes to 1 this morning I saw Sergeant Badlam at the corner of Old Castle-street, leading into Castle-alley. That was on the opposite corner of the publichouse.1 The sergeant said, "All right," and I said the same. I then proceeded up Castle-alley, and tried the doors on the west side of the alley.2 While doing so I noticed a woman lying on the pavement. Her head was lying eastward, and was on the edge of the kerbstone, with her feet towards the building, which was a wheelwright's shop and warehouse.
[Coroner] Was the body touched before the doctor arrived? - Only by my touching the face to see if it was cold. It had not been disturbed.
[Coroner] How far was it from the lamp? - Almost underneath. About 2 ft. from the lamp-post.

1 The Public House was right on the junction of Castle St and Alley, near to the right angle turn at the top of the alley.

2 These door would be the doors to the houses/cottages that join the alley from New Castle st to the west. This is backed up by Andrews later statement...

..[Coroner] How far was it from the lamp? - Almost underneath. About 2 ft. from the lamp-post.
[Coroner] Was any wagon there? - Two; one was a scavenger's wagon, and the other a brewer's dray. They were on the same side of the way. The wagons hid the body from persons in the cottages opposite. The head was almost underneath the scavenger's wagon.

Also later in the inquest.

Mrs. Sarah Frances Smith stated:- I live at the Whitechapel Baths and Washhouses. My husband is a retired police-officer, and is superintendent of the baths. I am money-taker there. The baths back on to Castle-alley, and the window of my room looks into Castle-alley, close to where the body was found. I went to bed this morning between 12:15 and 12:30. I did not go to sleep, and had no idea that anything had happened, until I heard a knock at the door, and also a whistle blown.
[Coroner] If there had been any call for help in the alley would you have heard it? - Yes, certainly. My bedstead is up against the wall, next to Castle-alley.

This would indicate to me that the body was nearer to the Goulston street baths end rather than half way down the alley.

I may be wrong and would welcome any correction.

Respect,
Monty
:-)
I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,

You may be right, I'm not sure.

This is from "The Illustrated Police News"

"We then [P.C Andrews] proceeded through the alley, and while trying the doors on the west side, in the middle I saw a woman lying on the pavement.

I have a map when the Lamp-post(well I think its a lamp-post, the maps a bit funny) is about half way.

All the best

Rob

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems to me like it would be somewhere between the "C" and the "L" in the word "Castle" on the map. Probably on the west side of the alley on the pavement.

"2 These door would be the doors to the houses/cottages that join the alley from New Castle st to the west. This is backed up by Andrews later statement... "

Monty, I think you may be wrong here. New Castle street is to the east is it not? I think the Constable was checking the doors of the buildings along the west side of the alley. Not the doors of the cottages along the east side (?) Unless I am reading this map wrong... I am assuming the cottages are those little squares along the east side of the alley. There must have been a wagon between the cottages and the body, which I think was on the pavement on the west side of the alley.

?

Rob

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 3:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two Robs,

Guys, after I posted the above post yesterday I sat down last night and went through it all.

Indeed I was wrong and I apologise for throwing a little confusuion into this thread.

Yes I meant west side not east and yes, I would say that the lamp was in that position.

Again, my apologies.

Monty
I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo Monty,

It was a good post, don't apologise. I think you were correct in most of it. I get my right and left mixed up all the time anyways.

Rob H

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK,

So here is a new image, with the new proposed location based on Monty's post. I am assuming the body was not next to the "Baths", as the testimony says it was next to a "wheelwright's shop and warehouse", although I don't know which building this was. The red dot I put is opposite the cottages, and near the Baths.

Monty, is the corner with the pub in this blue square?
Castle Alley 2

Rob

(Message edited by robhouse on February 04, 2005)

Frank van Oploo
Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

I hope Monty doesn't mind me butting in like this, but if I'm not mistaken, the Three Crowns public house is the building that's sticking out on the east side of the street (or on the right side, the way we're looking at the map), the one in the north east corner of the blue square. It almost touches the big black "I" of WHITECHAPEL.

All the best,
Frank
"Every disadvantage has it's advantage."
Johan Cruijff

Frank van Oploo
Inspector

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this is off thread, but Monty, I like your tag line. It sounds like something Robert de Niro could have said. .

Frank
Johan Cruijff

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 3:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob and Frank,

Thats pretty much the spot I was thinking....but we are talking a difference of feet here.

Also the pub is indeed within the blue square at the location Frank points out.

And Frank, more like Joe Pesci.

Monty

Frank van Oploo
Inspector

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah yes, Monty, that Italian fits better...

Frank

Johan Cruijff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.