Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Query; British Uniforms 1888 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Query; British Uniforms 1888 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems I do this every couple of months. None of my supposed sources have panned out with the info I seek.
Pearly Poll and Martha Tabram supposedly picked up two guardsman with white bands around their hats. Subsequently Pearly Poll was unable to identify anyone.
Where can I find pictures of uniforms for the Grenadier Guards and the Coldstream Guards circa 1888? or if anyone can give me a good description that would work. It's kind of germain to the story line for the novel I'm writing and I am at an impass. Thanks in advance. Neil

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The undress uniforms were not very dissimilar to those worn today by the Guards regiments. I have a copy of Dress Regulations for the Army 1900, published some years ago, which has photos of actual dress items. That might be available through a library.

Essentially walking out dress would have consisted of a scarlet tunic, buttons in ones for the Grenadiers and twos for the Coldstreamers. this was worn with a white waist belt - gilt or brass buckle (this may have had the bayonet in a scabbard attached), and a peaked cap - band as stated in your post.

Trousers were dark blue with a red stripe, black boots.

There are loads of books on British military uniforms of the Victorian period.

The main difference to the uniforms then and now, was that then in FULL DRESS (probably not relevant to you) the Guards wore packs and whitened webbing. Today they do not.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil:
Thank you for a rapid and informative post. You information comes in quite handy. I'm going to see if I can find a couple of bookos on British military uniforms to augment your information. Thanks again. Kindest regards, Neil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.