Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Faversham News and East Kent Journal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Newspaper Articles » Faversham News and East Kent Journal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I don't know if this article has been seen before. It is from the 'Faversham News and East Kent Journal', Saturday 15 September 1888.

Rob

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

An interesting find, thanks for posting. The man Piggott, will be William Henry Piggott who was arrested in Gravesend, Kent, so their is a local connection in this report.

The most intrigueing of course is the last paragraph refering to "associates of the two last murdered women". It would be interesting to know if any other sources had the Exchange Telegraph story.

Best Regards
John Savage

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

Thats what caught my eye. I haven't come across that last paragraph before. I wonder if it is a reference to 'Leather Apron'.

Rob

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and John,I really thought I had written on this last night-must have been getting late and I made a mistake posting it.Anyway I have long been of the view that many of the women who could have come forward got very scared indeed with repeat murders on their door-steps or beats or whatever and were too scared to tell-in case they were next.So they either quietly moved elsewhere or they simply kept their mouths shut.
The other thing that stays with me is indeed the leather apron scare-----as well as the prevailing ideas that have pointed towards a killer from the "upper echelons of Society"because even then people seem to have thought it was a cobbler or a toff or doctor.I wonder if this came about from police interest though rather than local gossip?
Thanks Robert once again a fascinating piece of news
Natalie

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

What struck me also, was that 'Polly' Nichols and Annie Chapman may have known each other. Which is the first time I have heard of a possible connection.

Rob

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

From what I have been able to find out the Exchange Telegraph Company originally was in business as an agency to send by wire financial news to relevent markets but also had a service for newspapers.

It would seem that the Faversham News and East Kent Journal must have taken items from them. I checked both my local newspapers for those dates and they take their reports from the Press Association and the Cenral News, neither of which seem to have carried this item.

I think it would be interesting if we could find other local newspapers that took reports from the Exchange Telegraph to see if they have anything more to say on the matter.

Natalie,
My view entirely, I have always felt that local people new much more than they ever told the police. The type of people living in Whitechapel at the time would have had very little trust in the police, and would probably have been more afraid of local "villains".

Best Regards
John Savage

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.