Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

What's New? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » What's New? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps this has been brought up before and I missed it but I was just wondering why the "What's New" doesn't work most of the time? It will tell you how MANY documents have been modified in the last X number of days but it won't tell you what they are. Like I said maybe this is known bug or limitation but I thought I would point it out. I think this site is EXCELLANT but it makes it difficult for me to find out what has been added since I last checked out the site when this function doesn't work. Thanks!

Jeff B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This issue still hasn't been fixed. In fact in the two YEARS that I've been at this site this feature only seems to work maybe a third of the time (if that). It tells you how many TOTAL pages have been modified but it doesn't tell you WHICH particular pages have been modified...What really is the point??

Sorry I don't mean to be a jerk but how are readers supposed to know what pages have been updated since they last checked the site if this information is unavailable? It's very time consuming to have to scan through the entire site looking for new content. I suspect most people don't even bother.

If this feature can't be fixed for some technical reason then you can at least easily add javascript that will diplay the modification date to the bottom of each individual page. This is not difficult or time consuming to do. Thanks.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3192
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff -

Thanks for bringing this to my attention (and sorry I didn't notice your earlier post).

Our script-man Johnno will be fixing this bug within the next day or so.

- Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.