Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Question - no offense intended Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Question - no offense intended « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

This is a question for my British friends on the board, and is not intended as a joke, or meant to offend anyone, just a question I need to know the answer to . . . so here it is . . .

Does anyone know if the term "poof" or "poofter", referring to a homosexual, was in usage in 1888?

Thanks for any help in advance,

-K

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris,

I am afraid that I cannot give you a definitive answer to your question, but my feeling is that the word "poof" is of 20th. century origin.

I can remember the term being used when I was at school in the 1960's, and Ronnie Kray ( the notorious east end gangster) shot George Cornell in 1966 because Cornell called him a poof.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards
John Savage

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 986
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris!!!
Right have been trawling Chambers Dictionary here in the old UK and this is what I have..
Looked up Poof and it said see POUF!!
So I did and...
POUF-a puffed up mode of hairdressing worn by women in the 18th C...a large hassock(!)
THEN
Pouf,poof,puff (18th C ) (slang) a homosexual
Hope this helps!!!

Cheers....God what a swot 'eh!!!
Suzi

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much, Suzi . . . so it was around then. Good.

Well, not GOOD, really, but it works for my purposes anyway.

-K

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 987
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris!!!!
Hey it worked baby!!!!!! will email!!
xs

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 988
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Kris...............
what porpoises would these be then?.........
xs

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

Ah, but then everyone would know. ;)

I will tell you all about when you come down to Toronto . . .

-K

Jon Smyth
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jon

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who's coming to Toronto????

Jon

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi is coming to visit Toronto soon, and we are getting together to imbibe in some beer at a local watering hole.

Are you from Toronto Jon?

-K

Jon Smyth
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jon

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris.
I'm down the road in Kitchener and we have a great country and western watering hole :-)

Best, Jon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.