Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Need help with train information Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Need help with train information « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know where I can find out detailed information on trains in 1888? Such as the speed at which they travelled and how frequently they travelled between London and other places such as Northampton and what times of day? Did they travel at night or was it too dangerous? Was the train the fastest mode of travel at the time?

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mara,

Probably the best source of information for you would be Bradshaw's Railway Guide, which was published from 1840-1961, and has timetables for all railway services. I beleive that the National Railway Museum at York may have them in their archive or if you are nearer London try the PRO at Kew, and possibly the British Library.

Best Regards
John Savage

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Mara,

John is correct. There is an excellent collection of Bradshaw's guides at the National Archive (as we now must call it) at Kew. Also there are many classes of public and working timetables for individual companies there.

Cheers, Mark

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much, gentlemen. Do you all know if that may be available online at all, since I live rather far far away from London and may never have an opportunity to go there. Thanks.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Mara,

No, I'm afraid the only things on line from the National Archives are the indexes and the 1901 census.

Try your local reference library; you never know what is hiding away there.

Cheers, Mark

ps. I will look up anything at Kew for anyone but it is my living and therefore, I am sorry to write, I cannot do it for free.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.