Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through March 31, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Future of these boards. » Archive through March 31, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there Mark. As I said, I don't have problems with an incorrectly spelled word. I know that I often blank on how to spell words. English is a tricky language. Not everyone is a spelling genius but it really does not take any effort to capitalize and put a period at the end of a sentence. That's my peeve, not so much spelling. Misspelling is a mistake. Lack of capitalization and punctuation is just sloppy.

And off-topic is my favorite place to be.

(Message edited by ally on January 21, 2004)

Erin Sigler
Inspector
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Richard, I'll try not to contribute to or create any "worthless" threads. I'll have to know your definition of worthless first, though, so that my posts will always be up to your standards.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin,
It is not me , that expects standards, I do not put myself on a high chair.
I started this thread, as a reminder, that us posters have a duty to stick to the subject,so that not only us , can gain possible new knowledge, but the huge audience, that log into our site, on a regular basis, can form opinions, from our archives, and find benefit, and enjoyment , in our hunt for 'Jack'.
Regards Richard.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"On a high chair"... freudian slip?

Off-topic Ally

(Please insert word filler here. Any and all word filler will do. We appreciate your filler. We hope it enriches us and makes us filler dense)

Kris Law
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kris

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it's just me, but I find this whole thread exceedingly anal.

I've said it before, but I don't come on here thinking I am going to "solve" the case, and in my opinion anyone who does so is deluding themsleves.

I come on here for the simple fact that I like to discuss aspects of the case, and the topic is a tad too esoteric for most of my friends to talk about at any length, so I come on here to chat with people who know what they are talking about.

For this reason it is not the end of the world if I read someone's post in which they have failed to capitalize the beginning of a sentence, or didn't indent a new paragraph. I'm not writing a thesis after all.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone's PMSing this week, Kris.
It happens that way sometimes.

Ally

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Kris Law
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I figured. It happens. Maybe it has something to do with the Lunar New Year.

Kris

Yadda Yadda Yadda Yadda Yadda Yadda Yadda Yadda

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard

You state that you do not place yourself on a 'high chair' regarding posts. You imply that you are doing a service to those who come to these boards seeking enlightenment. IMHO you have not only placed yourself on a 'high chair' regarding the standard of expectations for posters, you have also established yourself as a standard-setter regarding the quality and style of expression for these boards.

All The Best
Gary

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh gee!!!!!!
I knew that I was in a bad mood and shouldn't have posted those last two, I do apologise.

I glad you are not embarrased but I have to say this is a bit of a wierd thing to be checking in a room of people you hardly know!

Yes and I probably made that thing about money up a bit but there you go! I say made up I mean exaggerated a situation where i am on the internet and shouldn't be! (sorry)

I wondered where the hell the spellchecker had gone anyway!

By the way I haven't changed it yet. Really I was just trying to point out some reasons spelling of people in general may not be up to scratch an' all because some people might not want to say!

I just mean chill out if I mispell something it is not because I don't like you it is because I do not realise I have done it! (You should see my text messages thats fast text for you!)

Perhaps I am the only one who finds it all a little odd to explain to people that I like Winnie The Pooh and JTR! I didn't mean to offend anyone with my posts and realising I am ranting on again and digging a bigger whole I will stop now before I have alienated anyone else in my sea of rantings on,

chow

ps its not my fault I didn't mean it I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!

(Message edited by jdpegg on January 22, 2004)
jennifer

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ps Earlier when I said some of us are slightly offend, that did not make sense and I meant offended, this was a stupid thing to do.
pps I'm over it now!
ppps I nearly did it again!
jennifer

Suzi Hanney
Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer!! We're all guilty..I guess!!!!!!!!!!! S'pose we should all consider ourselves reprimanded!! Point taken girls I guess..email me ..and we'll chat!!...and plot!!!)
Better do it on pub talk tho!!!

suzixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer,

Your posts looks much better now with capitalization. Trust me. And we all have our different crosses to bear here anyway.

The spell checker may not cover everything; as someone here pointed out; the function doesen't make any correct suggestions of the misspelled word, but that is when I find a dictionary irreplaceable.

"Perhaps I am the only one who finds it all a little odd to explain to people that I like Winnie The Pooh and JTR!"

Well, I happen to collect teddybears and stuffed animals -- and has an interest in crime. How sad is that?

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just ignore my other posts on this thread. My brain temporarily fell out of my head and I had trouble retriving it. I do apologise. That is all I will say.

I think I have unintentionally upset a few people even in trying to explain myself.

Glenn I do not think you are sad and that is not what I meant.

I don't actually tell people that I like Winnie The Pooh either, I think it is an issue with self confidence!!!!!!

phew!

P.S This spell checker function is v. good, how did I miss it!

Jennifer D. Pegg

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenn,

You’ve no idea how much easier I find reading your new improved posts! Great stuff.

I wasn’t actually thinking of you at all when I made that comment about appalling spelling and grammar, nor anyone whose first language isn’t English – they always manage to show us all up!

It was directed at those who don’t wish prospective publishers to dismiss their hard work unread on the grounds that the very first page offends their eyes. And who knows who might come pay us a visit here as we struggle to make our writing at least look as if it will be worth reading?

Occasionally, a poster’s layout and punctuation will make me glaze over, and if the message runs to more than a few lines, I find it hard to drag myself to the end, let alone absorb what’s being said, even if it’s on a topic that interests me hugely.

Deadliest of all are great long rambling posts with few commas and full stops and no paragraph breaks. If I get through one of these, and the content is not much better than the layout, I rarely bother with future efforts by the same poster. It’s a shame, because I could be missing out – but life’s too short.

Love,

Caz

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz, look at clause 4 of Lusk's petition and the reply quoted in clause 5 (Sourcebook chapter 11).
How's that for economy of punctuation? You actually feel you need oxygen by the time you get to the end.

Robert

Neale Carter
Sergeant
Username: Ncarter

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think most people appreciate a bit of constructive criticism (considerately put a la Caz above) especially if their writing style is hindering others understand their message. As we only have our words to speak for us we should allow them to do justice to our ideas.

I'm sure no one minds a bit of frivolous banter here and there - in fact it makes this one of the best boards around. As with most things, balance is the key. Who judges where the line is.....? The court of public opinion I suppose.

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I have been posting on these boards less and less in the last few months. And, I haven't seen much reason to change that. In these last few weeks I have been logging on less and less, and again, have seen no reason to change that either.

The board is a bit like a soap opera. I come back after being missing for a few weeks, and lo and behold, the exact same things are happening.

I am finding the arguments are not only stale, but dead. Has everyone seen the Argument Sketch on Monty Python?

-"That isn't an argument!"
-"Yes, it is."
-"No, it isn't."
-"Yes it is."
-"No it isn't."
-"Yes it is."

Etc. ad nauseum. And I think this sums up the boards. I've seen certain people arguing the same points over and over and over again, to the point of hilarity. I could name examples, but I won't. It would serve no purpose.

My point is that I think there should be some sort of moderation on the actual arguments. I'm not saying you can't reiterate your point in a slightly different way; that's what argument is all about. But, I think there should be a point where people decide that enough is enough. Either think up something new to say, or kindly shut up.

I'm sorry if I sound like a crank, but I really enjoy these boards, and there's no reason intelligent argument needs to be horrendously boring.

Thank you all for your time. If no one agrees, it's been nice chatting with most of you.

-K

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,

Your insights have been missed and you are not a crank -- you have a point. As I recall, we disagreed a couple of times but then quickly were able to find common ground. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen and while you went public, you are not the only poster who has mentioned to me that the boards are becoming "boring."

As it is, the great diversity of topics on these boards makes them more interesting than many other similar sites where a few bullying blowhards dominate the discourse and everyone else is left scared or disgusted.

Still, it can be discouraging to see the same issues debated by the same people again and again and again . . . and with no hope of their resolving those differences in our lifetime.

I certainly have no answers and all I can do is urge you to hang in a little longer.

Don.

Chris Michetti
Detective Sergeant
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The case relies on new information to generate new discussions, so unless you are out doing the research then I hardly think you can rag on people who are at least trying to discuss things.

Newbies like myself come in and see a new thread about some issue that may have been re-hashed 1000 times in the past, and might think it's something new. I'll jump in anywhere I can, since my knowledge is still limited.

No offense, but topics talking about old news are better than nothing imo. This whole case is old news to begin with.
Chris

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Chris (and with Don adn Kris in a way).
I think some of the discussions are of course raving on and on by the same people until the end of eternity, like the incredibly boring Maybrick/watch/diary threads -- without getting anywhere whatsoever.

But besides that, I agree that one always have to take into account that new people are popping in and starts debates they think contains new insights. I did that myself when I was new here and I think we ought to be humble about that. That the whole thing sometimes can get dull and repetitious at times is unfortunately a completely natural element on discussion boards and can hardly be avoided.
I've taken part in quite many discussion boards on the net, and although I think there are times when this forum stagnates and becomes quite dull (and especially this last month), I think it compared to many others is incredibly lively and vital (some completely dies for a period of several weeks), and these dull periods are only temporary anyway.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, my point wasn't clarified very well. I honestly believe that argument needs to go back and forth, its the only way. I don't think that is a problem.

My problem is when one particular argument goes on between two individuals for the better part of three months with neither making any headway with the other and nobody else chiming in to give an opinion.

I remember recently at least one argument about whether jack was a "sexual killer" or not when on and on and on and on and on, with neither of the participants in the argument seemingly listening to anything the other was saying.

That is my problem. And, no, I'm not out there doing research, because I don't feel the need to. I don't care who Jack the Ripper was. It's not going to bring those women back to life. But I do find the case and all the details fascinating, which is why I come to the boards to chat. As good a reason as anyone else.

So, please argue on, just try to be aware of whether or not your argument is getting anywhere. If its not, agree to disagree and leave it at that. the argument still lives on to newbies, and can be taken up afresh whenever anyone wants.

Does that make sense?

-K

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I read these discussion threads I do so selectively. There are certain threads that don't particularly interest me, so I almost always skip them even when I see the "new" flag applying to them. But I'm glad to know that these threads are still there should I ever want to come back to them.

We all do indeed need to be careful about carrying on one-on-one conversations on these boards. I think a few rounds of this are OK, but after that such a discussion should be taken to private email and then the results posted on the boards. I always try to be conscious of not allowing a one on one discussion to go more than about three exchanges on the public boards.

Andy S.

Chris LeQuellec
Sergeant
Username: Chrislq

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'm back after some very busy weeks on my own site.
The problem kris is talking about is very common on large boards.
On my own site, about 25 000 posts a year, every six months we have this discussion about this.
Do i have a solution on my own site? no.
In fact i try with my moderators to help and redirect new members.
chris

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel that this problem can be handled in a positive fashion.
For instance, I have absolutely no interest in the Diary threads but I do read them - without contributing - and then take all that negative energy being tossed about there and play around with it on another thread, and hopefully turn it into something positive.
Another important positive step is to back out of a discussion, gracefully and with politeness, whenever that discussion takes on a personal or competitive tone. There is no point then.
There will always be folk who labour a point or purpose until that point is blunt and that purpose purposeless.
I often despair when I glance at the contents of some threads, but I find a double Spanish brandy helps ease that despair.

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...it can be discouraging to see the same issues debated by the same people again and again and again . . . and with no hope of their resolving those differences in our lifetime."

>>Never fear. The cavalry is headed over the ridge. But will you like that situation? It would appear there'd be nothing left to debate at all.

Bullwinkle

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.