Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

On-line spell check Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » On-line spell check « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All, Stephen

I might have found an error in the dictionary of the on-line spell checker. It thinks 'sodomized' is spelled incorrectly. A quick trip to my dictionary told me that I was not in err.

:-)

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 888
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

In the USA it is sodomized but in the UK it is sodomised.

Sarah

P.S Hmmm it doesn't seem to like the UK version either.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, name one automatic function in a computer program that works perfectly. Take the spell checking functions in Microsoft Word or the syllabification in PageMaker... Yeah, sure.

I think the spell checking function here works as good as can be expected, maybe even better then that. The only thing that bugs me (who has English as a non-native language) is that it don't give you any correction proposals.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey There Glenn -

I don't think anything that we create is perfect. Aside from the fact that 'perfect' is difficult to quantify, we are imperfect creatures. As such, I don't think we can create perfect things.

What we can do however, is create a tool that will lend itself to future upgrades and/or modifications. In this case, a 'dictionary' that can be updated as needed. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't picking on it. I was just under the impression that it came with a standard 'dictionary' (as most spell check programs do) and that it somehow got it wrong and could be fixed rather easily. I figured I should let someone know.

English being my first language, I don't notice the lack of correction proposals as much as you might, so I can't comment on them or their absence. I do often find myself fumbling for a word. When I do, I normally hit the net in a frenzied search

:-)

crix0r
P.S. Your command of the english language has never given me any difficulty. If you hadn't mentioned you weren't from a predominately non-english speaking country, I could have never guessed it by just your post's alone :P

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there Jason,

Thank you for your kind words. I am struggling more with it than people think and it's nice to see that it's appreciated.

It is somewhat frustrating when the spell checking function hits a word without showing the correct spelling alternatives. So therefore a dictionary is as important to me as the spell checking function. Without the dictionary the spell checking function would be useless to me in many ways. However, the spell checking also makes you aware of ordinary typos as well, and that is a blessing at least for yours truly... :-)

Nevertheless, my point was that my expectations on automatic functions are quite low in general. I use computers, with word processing and desktop publishing programs daily in my work and I have learnt that you almost on every occasion have to manually correct blunders that the automatic functions for some reason has created. Seen in that light, I think the spell checking function on this site does its job fairly well (although it reacts like mad to certain names).

All the best, Jason :-)

(Message edited by Glenna on March 15, 2004)
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Chris LeQuellec
Sergeant
Username: Chrislq

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
As Glenn english is not me first language, the spell checker can help me to give sense to my sentences
Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.