Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 24, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Creative Writing and Expression » Cat The Ripper : The Mr Diddles Thread » Archive through January 24, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 644
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I thought the pictures were brilliant, and if I were a descendant/relative of one of the more frivolous Ripper suspects, I'd find it far less offensive for him to be depicted as a cat than for him to be accused of a horrific series of murders and mutilations (often without a shred of evidence).

Chris Phillips

PS I hate to commit a faux pas if it's been pointed out to you before, but the word is spelled "P-R-O-B-A-B-L-Y".

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, The Cat Protection League may have a few things to say about this for a kick off!
Its a thin line this .... because the victims were real,not figments of Agatha Christie"s imagination , I think Richard has a sound arguement.
On the other hand every one else lampooned here would probably have a chuckle at themselves just as Glenn has so that part of the arguement is a bit different for me but I respect Richard"s opinion who has been around these boards and this case a lot longer than I have
Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Chris Phillips here.

I do respect Richard's point of view -- and understand it -- but as Chris pointed out, one wonders why it would be worse for Barnett to be portrayed as a cat than being accused after his death of being Jack the Ripper -- and without a single piece of evidence. I sense some sort of double standard here, no offense.

I have no doubt that the persons now deceased would find the efforts displayed here more than enjoyable; somehow I find it hard to believe that they took themselves that seriously. This is often a mistake we do with deceased people. If they could talk, I am convinced of that they would have asked us to lighten up and get on with our lives.
And as for the Cat Protection League... hehe... I actually see these pictures as a tribute to cats, not the opposite.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on January 23, 2005)
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
As we have suddenly switched to JB, without a shred of evidence?.
We or should i say I, have more evidence against this man then any other Ripper suspect.
I appreciate that is said [ will we ever know] that dead persons have no intrest in their past lives, but if they did they may well object to their years on this earth being portrayed 116/117 years later as a cat...
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oooooooh dear!

What started off as a serious piece of lets take some time out and enjoy ourselves has proved offensive!!

Richard
There never was or never will be any offence meant here and I hate to say it we've had a lot of fun here and more than a few smiles have been raised which cannot be a bad thing surely!

As Glenn has just posted Im sure the 'girls'.... who I must point out were never used here! ...would have cracked a smile at this

Cats Protection League! Hmmmmmmmmmmm Lets send the proceeds to them eh Glenn and Robert!!!!!

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks - I have posted a reply to Richard elsewhere on this site as he has seen fit to raise it on the Crime Reconstructions Thread as well.

I am fuming. FUMING.

In fact I don't want to say a great deal as I will probably post something I may later be held accountable for. I could say plenty, but I am so angry about it right now I would probably end up getting taken off the boards.

Richard - your point is noted. Please leave this thread alone unless you want to contribute something positive. You are ruining the mood.

And please don't try to cheapen me as not taking the case seriously. Anyone I have corresponded with on this site will be able to tell you differently - in its place! I never come across such a sour puss.

Yes everyone else - that one was intentional.

I may be in my sick bed right now, but respect has to be earned, not expected.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3956
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, let me say that we in the UK have a culture of "nobody must be offended, ever!" To which the proper reply is "Grow up."

Second, I myself do not like offending people, unless it is unavoidable.

Third, free speech must come before the right of someone not to be offended.

Fourth, this is Stephen's site and he is the ultimate arbiter of what can and cannot be said (yes folks, I believe in private property).

Now that I've got that out of my system, I would just say again that nobody is forced to read this thread. Richard has a right to post his ideas on this thread, and to make his feelings known. Ultimately, though, de gustibus non disputandum est (bit of Mr Quelch creeping in there).

But let's keep cool, everyone.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip
Have emailed you,I also dont trust myself to post on this matter,but would just say ditto to your above post!
Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"As we have suddenly switched to JB, without a shred of evidence?.
We or should i say I, have more evidence against this man then any other Ripper suspect."

OK, that was probably even funnier than the Diddles jokes...
See Richard, I knew you had sense of humour after all... :-)

No, I don't think for a minute the deceased -- victims or suspects -- would object to being portrayed as cats; I believe they would enjoy the laugh.

OK, Suzi and Hutch... back to the fun!
(Get well, Hutch!)

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi gang,

Just before I got to bed, I thought I'd nip over and say hello, (well goodnight actually).

I think I should have posted my Diddles comments here, instead of over on the Crime Scene thread, but, I don't usually get time to go to different threads, I didn't think anyone would mind just a sign off joke. Sorry if I caused anyone offense. I'll come over here in future to make my very dubious jokes! That should kill the thread stone dead!

On a personal note I have to say that talking about death all the time can be depressing, and I have had so many laughs because of Diddles, not to mention Hutch's daft pics, which had me in stitches. I have to say truthfully that I haven't had much to laugh about lately and this has done me so much good, so please keep making me laugh!

Bed now

Lots of love to all

Jane

xxxx

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone (nearly!)

Thank you for the nice postings here and for the e-mails you've sent me about this thread and the other comments that were posted here today.

It's good to know you agree with me and my opinion is justified. Let's just put this glitch down to someone knocking on the wrong door and get back to the task in hand.

Your get well wishes (or just sheer rage!) have actually had an effect. Though it is after midnight here in the UK I now feel fine!

It might have been the strain yesterday - I was doing an all-night ghost hunt at a 17th century stately home (Ham House) just outside London and didn't get in until 6am (got up after 1pm today!) and it was an eventful night of stiff doors opening by themselves, people being shoved off chairs, prodded on the arms, cold gusts of wind and ghosts on a staircase tapping back in reply to our questions - and the caretaker's dog going berserk. But that's not for here!

Now let's go through everyone's postings here today (leaving aside a whole chunk I'm not going to deal with)...

I see we have archived a thread after a single day and we are the most active forum today! That can't be bad!

I will make myself a folder just for these images and store them all by themselves.

Suzi - I still haven't had a reply about the sourcing of the original cat drawings. I take it you don't have a scanner, but can you loan me by post the originals? I don't know how we can work with the ones from books though (I love the Dutfields Yard one just as much as the Flower & Dean one myself - Diddles seems really uncomfortable as if he's been bundled up in the cart and is trying to get out rather than hiding).

Everyone! Can we try not to upload too many images in a straight row as it makes it really difficult to read the page? Sorry to be a smelly plop-brain (which is a term I believe Sir William Gull used often).

Suzi (again) : Thank you so much for archiving these shots and reposting them. I had no idea that Pub Talk was wiped. I was gutted when I found out we had lost it all as there was a lot of funny text on the thread too!

Glenn : Thank you so much for that advice. It is, of course, very helpful. Just a couple of pointers in reply, though - for this project your info won't - I would expect - be too important. I would hope I would get access to the original images (SUZI!) and scan them in at the proper size. The Mogminski was just to see what I could do if I had no other option. I was anticipating the book being like the old reprints of the rare Victorian ones - just an A5 size lot of photocopied sheets made into a book with a card cover. It doesn't need publishing as such. Just something to go at the Conference. I'm not worried about how they will be accepted - if the reaction to the lecture I gave last November is anything to go by, Ripperologists have (with a few exceptions) a sense of humour. You are right about the image losing clarity and getting pixilated and all that, but I would have thought that probably a straightforward black & white photocopy with the images being small (I would say 4 of these head and shoulders shots on a page - bear in mind there will be text as well - WHERE IS THE FROM HELL CATPAW LETTER???) should suffice if I had a decent original to work from. I could even make a master copy from the originals and photocopy them in a literal paste-up. Could you e-mail me with info on how I can save in these other formats, though? I know I can save in bitmaps as well as jpegs but I don't know if my scanner printer has the facility to save in these high-quality formats as well.

You do have a good point about the greyscales - it has made me think that for actual photographs we will need to use ones out of copyright, or get permission (or purr-mission) from the photographers.

Suzi : I'm not sure which Tabbysis Of Neglect I pre-fur. I like the cute one more, but the first one is SO much closer to the original. Then again, I currently would want the one of Diddles in the back of Diemshutz's cart as a cover if we got a total scan of the front of the paper for the cover and Diddles where he is (unless the actual image is too small on the sheet - maybe a pastiche of an Illustrated Police News (Purrlice?) cover)?

I'm honoured by your one of me - thank you! Nice to see how I would be as a cat!

Still laughing out loud at the Flower & Dean Diddles. He's out of his tree (D'Oh!)

As for T-shirts... Hmm... I suppose you could do quantities to order? It would probably take a bit of time (on my part) to look at all the images and decide which I would want on one myself - but of course, if you want to take hold of this part of the operation, I am delighted for you to do so. I am sure I could write some amusing text for the book.

Hope your MSN is running OK now Suzi. I can identify with your PC problems! Obviously!

Glenn : I love the posting you made at 5:11pm today. It said it all. It's offensive to turn me into a cat, but by all means call me a murderer. Honestly. And we all seem to have been amused and honoured to be turned into cats here (well, Suzi, you and me).

Jane : Don't you dare apologise! Most of us post the occasional light-hearted comment in serious threads. If this was totally scholorly without a moment of jollity I would not contribute to Casebook. I'd use it as a readble resource alone, which I do as well. Most of the debate threads I have seen on here I have found tedious and unprogressive in the extreme.

Yes - cats chasing their tails...

These threads are great communicators. I have found out tons of things I had been misinformed in books in the space of 3 weeks and made at least half a dozen new friends I didn't know a month ago. If I had been posted a reply by a formal and unfriendly instruction I would have said 'Thank you very much' and walk away again.

Friends are great, but even better when they share your interest. People who share your interest are no good unless they are friends.

I know how I feel about what we are doing on this thread. I have no doubts whatsoever. This thread is not disrespectful. The basis of that arguement is that satire of any kind is to be frowned upon.

But enough said - this has been possibly my longest posting and you will want to get back to the weirdness. I hope this is the end of the matter. You can't purr-lease everyone. Having pleased most people is, I think, an achievement we should be proud of.

PHILIP

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phew am exhausted reading that!!!!
God cant find the letter and the cart one first thing on a Monday morning!!!...Have to shoot off to work in a mo but will have a trawl later and repost em!
Yeah will send (lend!!!!!!!!!!!!!) you the originals to have a play with on pain of death tho!!!!!!!!!..as I now realise their irritation value I'd hate to lose em!!!!
Glad youre back with us Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Catch you all later!
Suzi x

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,
I expected flak and I got it, let me make it finally clear.
My point was not to insult posters to this site by ridicule, the drawings themselves are good, the intention to donate any proceeds to the casebook are honourable, it was my personal opinion however that to deface murder spots with Diddles, and to deface the woman in the doorway in the spitalfields picture , and to alter the cover of 'The Ripper, and the Royals'was not at all funny.
I hope all goes well with the project, even if this sour puss lacks the sence of humour to appreciate it.
Dont fume Phil. Thats not cool....
Regards Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3959
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane

It's good that you're getting a laugh out of Casebook. I too haven't had much to laugh about recently, but I find this whole site invaluable for all sorts of reasons.

I don't think I'll be at the conference this year but I hope you, Suzi and Natalie make it down to Brighton with your pictures.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Now thats a real bummer!!! we'll raise a glass or 27 to you tho!!!!
God this thread going to go quiet between 7-9th Oct eh!! We look to you to keep the end up!!(!)

Philip

Going to post the letter again...just taken it again! will get back to other stuff tonight!

Cheers
Suzix

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob : I hope you, Suzi and Natalie make it down to Brighton with your pictures - What about me who started it all off then? Or would you rather I had a crappy time personally?

I've been getting more e-mails about Richard's posting above - glad I speak for all of us. I thought that seeing as I started it I should really be the one to stick my neck out and say what I thought (in regards to 'not keeping cool' - though fuming I managed to keep it formal and not say what I felt like saying!).

Anyway, if we can return to the task in hand (or paw)...

Thank you Suzi for agreeing to lend me the originals of your cat work. I'll deal with them straight away and return them to you Recorded.

Lyn : You do realise now that though I have agreed to give you the initial pieces, you will have to keep them forever if they are going to be in a rare Ripper book?

Oh this is going to be such fun.

Thanks for recovering the Lusk letter Suzi. I think we have managed to salvage quite a lot here.

I wonder what's next?

PHILIP

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3961
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip, of course you should take your pictures to Brighton. Come to think of it, Glenn could come across with some of his too.

By the way, have I missed this, but what happened to the Rothkoesque pics Suzi?

Robert

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

You can rest assured that I shall treasure the originals. They are going to be framed and hung on my wall.

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil
Have sent you a 'private ' messaGE! OOOOH EH!REPLY EH?
sUZI X

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course am going to be there out of spite if nothing else!!!!!! Right get back to me we need to phone chat this!
Suzi x
}

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil! Msns ok now shall we how we say messenger? may be quicker than waiting for this! Hey this is like looking like booking a stall here!!!!!

Grrr purrr
Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert! Ohhhh god have lost the Rothko pic somewhere in the ether Trouble with posting verrrrrrry quickly is that you save it and then call it something daft and then when you look back cant remember what the hell you called it!!!! Will bring digi cam home again tomorrow and repost!
Phil
Have all the pix laid out here in all their tinyness!!!!! Come on get back!

Suzi x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cant remember what this one was but may be a good un!
He he waiting for the preview to see what it is!!!! Sherlock i suspect tho!
Suzi x God dark nastiness oh well x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YOURE nicked my son!
hehehehe!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh god bet these are dark too! oh well will have a go
..eR sGT BEHIND YOU...........

AH SIR! gOTCHA mR BARNETT!!!!!

LEATHER APRON APREHENDED!
ops a TAD POST FESTIVE!

hE HE!!!

sUZI

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oK off to the litter tray call ya in a mo (g)!!!

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I just pop onto this thread to state for the record that defacing "The Ripper and the Royals", whether funny or not, is always a highly useful and desireable thing to do!

Keep it up chaps, this thread is wonderful. Can I request a James Kelly mog? I didn't notice one!
"All I know of morality, I learned from football" - Albert Camus
http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan!
Thanks so much for that am working on a new one but........... we'll see

Thanks a lot Suzi x

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think, Suzi, we should end up with 39 suspects with cat drawings, don't you?

Thank you Alan. We try.

Just had a nice long chat to Suzi (that is chat in the French sense ho ho) and some smashing ideas for the book are cropping forth. Also for the T-shirts. We are thinking along the same lines so that helps!

PHILIP

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cats in a line one above eachother 3 in a row''''''''''''spooky eh?
All up for the A5 eh....right will have a think and put em all together and send em to you and see what you think !!!

Suzi x

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,
I guess my thoughts are a minority here, therefore I will abscond from this thread, I must add before sign off, that i consider that ego trips are in abundance here, and it is a case of following the leader, regardless of any common sense, if one wishes to pursue this attitude and to blindly enter a world of children, then so be it.
It is with great reluctance that I Resign from regular communication, with this site, until the format is of sensible origin, and therefore my plans to attend the conference in Brighton, is now dead and void.
I should add that I should retain my right[ with Stephens permission] to add my comments to any future reference to this case, whenever i feel a relevant point is made.
I have throughly enjoyed my time on the casebook. Stevens site is a must for ripper enthusiasts, but being a serious person who has dedicated Forty years[ Not 39] to this fascinating subject, i feel that this moment in time, i cannot go with the flow .
This is not the end , but until the I am great follow me attitude is non relevant it is goodbye from me.
keep searching folks I hope you find the answer, before i do,
My sincere Regards to you all.
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey have lined up the suspects!!13x3 in a line with a little Ost'mog 'across the middle looks great for a tshirt!
Am going to take it into 'work ' tomorrow and have a play and send it you OK ? will send em as the little things but think it'd look good like this with some sort of "Suspicious?" over it Oh I dunno but has made me laugh here!

Suzi x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan am working on a James Kelly as I type!!

Also a wonderful wonderful cover idea!!! (If I can find the damned book!!! )
heheheheheh it'll be worth it tho I hope!

Cheers
Suzi
x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh God 3x3 in a line I meant there Maybrick ..Barnett ..and Gull on the top then
Klowsowski..,Mogminski ..and Tumblety in the middle
and then
Sickert..
D'Onston ..and Clarence on the bottom!
So to speak!
Looks good
Mogstrog is sort of diagonal

He he

Suzi..................... will stick em up in a desultory sort of way and post em snail mail tomorrow as a photocopy eh and the little uns too!x

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard, don't be so silly. I admire your unceasing interest in the case, your dogged determination, and even some of your speculations (some of which may be perverse, but at least evince a willingness to try out new ideas).

So some people put up pictures of cats. So what?

And anyway, with Leanne seemingly away somewhere, if you go off, who's going to bash Barnett?

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert!

as usual the voice of reason.............
Thanks for being there

suzix

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To: George Hutchinson aka "Phil"
Suzanne Hanney
et al

Re: Impending Lawsuit

It has come to our attention that certain members of the human species have been unlawfully and with malice aforethought slandering the entire genus Felis Catus (party of the first part)and one member in particular, Mr. Diddles (party of the second part) in that on or about January of 2005 YC (Year of the Cat)said Mr. Diddles was accused of the heinous Whitechapel Murders.

We represent the great x 176 grandson of the above mentioned party of the second part, having been maligned and faced serious and costly mental and emotional damage inflicted by the willful negligence and depraved indifference of said humans. Our client has suffered immeasurable harm, which we estimate to be in the neighborhood of 12 million pounds,at the hands of the callus and unfeeling humans who have thought nothing of dragging his proud family name through the Mud of History.

We will be in touch with you shortly to begin negotiations. I think we can all agree that a jury trial would go very unfavorably for your client,especially with row upon row of young Diddles in the gallery.

Yours truly,
Miu Bastet

Katz and Katz
Attorneys At Claw.
Mags

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks again.

Suzi - what do you mean Ostmog is sort-of diagonal? Have you got 10 on there instead of 9? I don't get what you mean.

Nice to know we are kicking some life into the message boards and it seems to get a happier and more condusive place by the minute!

I look forward to getting your drawings.

Glenn - I have found out I can save my scans in TIF format, so all that is fine and groovy. This should be a pretty good little book when it's done. I reckon if we make a limited run of 50 they will sell out right away. I'm sure Spry could do with the money!

PHILIP

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria - your client is a pussycat, by all accounts!

I've heard he can be bought off (I nearly put brought off there - quite a different thing!) with a jingley bell on a ribbon, some cat-nip and a toy squeaky mouse.

We are only saying that Mr Diddles is the most likely candidate to be Cat the Ripper and appreciate it may not stand up in a Court of Claw.

We also refute the allegations we are denegrating the cat population - by implicating Mr Diddles we are thus removing any chance of blaming another cat, as is represented in Section 39 of the Cat Code.

Are you coming to Brighton?

PHILIP

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oooops cant remember what this one was!
Oh God YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B A R N E T T T........ he was a dodgy cove..........

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oooops cant remember what this one was!
Oh God YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B A R N E T T T........ he was a dodgy cove..........

Suzi

Jane
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Just off to bed, make that 51. I want one!

Suzi, your drawings are so good and with Hutch on the team it should be a masterpiece.
I do hope though it is going to be an objective book and you will put forward a just and balanced view of the case in the Casebook tradition. Have you really used all the latest scientific methods to prove his guilt? Has a serious FBI profile been done on him?

By the way that letter is a definite forgery, they didn't have that colour ink in 1888, it was only developed in the 1980's. I have the ink analysis to hand if anyone want's to see it.

Have fun!

lots of love

Jane
xxxxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane! hey! thanks lets keep going here we're looking at a little A5 booklet of horrors all contributions welcome! hey will call ya tomorrow night eh must get some zzzzzzs too!
Suzi xxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ooooooooooh god must get some zzzzzs but
heres the original Nemesis

thought the netley re enactors would make you smile
suzix

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3968
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just read a hitherto unseen report by Abberline. Apparently they did a house to house search for Cheshire cats - police found a smile in 13 Room.

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutchinson.

Great. Of course your scanner should take TIFF. I still haven't heard of any that doesen't.
The saving in different formats is usually done in your computer's pictures graphic program (whatever you have,
like Photo Editor, Photoshop etc. etc.). But if you can scan them directly in TIFF,
that is of course good.
Just make sure you DON'T scan them in JPEG or GIF, because then they will loose picture information
from the beginning, since those formats are compressed.

You will need to rescan them anyway, in a larger size.
If you intend to have them in A5 size, you should then after the scanning and after the converting to TIFF,
increase their size to a little more than that.
The larger the original file is, the better printing quality on the final picture when you draw them back down in the size you want.
I would suggest that you if possible could convert the line drawings without grayscales (like the individual cat portraits)
to the format EPS, if that is possible, in order to avoid tagged lines.
The TIFF is mostly useful for grayscale or colour pictures (but it will do anyway if you can't handle EPS --
you probably need Illustrator in order to view EPS files anyway).

So... scan them, convert them to TIFF (if they aren't scanned in TIFF already),
then increase their size in your picture program if possible.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 711
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Linford wrote: "I too haven't had much to laugh about recently. . ."

Well, let's fix that!

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Case Against Diddles the Ripper:

1) Chapman killed behind 'Cats Meat' shop, a regular hang out for Diddles
2) Victims disarmed when they reached to pet Diddles; Stride was in the process of offering a sweet cachous to the kitty, Eddowes a thimble full of milk.
3) Accomplices: CAROLINE MAXWELL: Made up the story about Mary to cover for Diddles. She was obsessed with the cute furry little thing, and would make frequent trips to the milk shop to appease the cat. It is also rumored that Diddles was in league with a certain unnamed veterinarian student, and Diddles' personal physician, who upon threatening Diddles that he was going to sing to the cops, became infected with 'cat scratch fever' and was removed from his lodgings by his mother. A muddled story of this was later handed down to Walter Sickert.
4)Motive: Humans spade Diddles, so Diddels spade humans.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Some Diddlites claim the murder sites form the shape of a scratching post. Anyone have an image of a Victorian cat scratching post for comparison? This may be the most interesting suspect thread active on the Casebook. Hmmmm.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

To which I can only add:
"Ying Tong Yiddle I Poh"

Regards
John Savage

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 8:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom : YES! The voice of reason! I have had enough of the ladies on this thread (and Glenn!) saying it was a copy cat murderer.

David : Montague Druitt - "He's fallen in the water!"

PHILIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.