Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 22, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Jonbenet Ramsey » Archive through January 22, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was common sense. You were saying it was silly. I was just trying to also put it from your point of view but personally I do not see it as silly.

It's a shame that some people think that getting a solicitor is silly and foolish and that these people are being penalised by these people.

Oh well just as long as it doesn't effect these other people, they can point the finger and ruin other people's lives. It's a shame that these people exist quite frankly.

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er ..no. I said their actions meant that they would be scrutinized by police and public and they would have to accept that. You said grief can make you do silly things. I said retaining a lawyer WASN'T silly, it was a thought out execution of intent to shield themselves from police interview.

You said silly, Sarah, not me.

And yes, people can point the finger and think anything they want or state any opinion about the situation that they want, rather like you are doing when you say it's a shame that I exist.

The finger pointers didn't ruin the Ramseys lives, whoever killed their daughter did that and then the Ramseys exacerbated the situation by failing to cooperate with the police.

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I said the word silly but it was my translation of what you seemed to be saying. I was obviously mistaken.

I agree that the people who killed their daughter ruined their lives, but do you honestly think that people who point their fingers and accuse them make it any easier? They already have to live with the fact that their daughter was taken from them, they shouldn't have to be scrutinised, they should be able to do whatever they want. Why can't people just leave it up to the authorities. The public can't arrest and jail them, the police will do that if it turns out that they are guilty, but in the mean time, people should lever them alone.

When I said it's a shame those people exist I was kind of hoping you weren't one of those who only care about themselves and don't care that they can be helping to ruin other people's lives by accusing them. I for one am not like that. If someone causes pain to others then I do not like them and try to avoid them. I take the hurting of others, whether emotional or physical, very seriously. It is indeed a shame if you are one of those that I described.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I had a violin, I'd be playing it. Let me ask you a couple of questions.

1. How does moi, sitting on an internet thread discussing my opinion that the Ramseys are guilty ruin their lives? I would like direct contributory cause, thank you.

2. Are you suggesting that the Ramseys are completely blameless for how the public view them?

3. You would never, ever talk about someone's actions while they were still alive and take the risk of hurting them and? Never ever? Not even Steve Irwin baby-risker supreme?

Just want to clarify what you consider to be acceptable gossip and what you don't.

John Hacker
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

"I agree that the people who killed their daughter ruined their lives, but do you honestly think that people who point their fingers and accuse them make it any easier?"

They brought the degree of scrutiny they are receiving upon themselves. While they may be innocent of killing their daughter, they are certainly guilty of one of the worst public relatiions campaigns EVER in the history of crime.

While retaining a lawyer might have been good sense, failing to cooperate with the police was stupid beyond belief, and showed a callous disregard for their daughter as well as any other potential victims of this "other killer".

There is also a large degree of actual evidence pointing toward them. The lengthy ransom note for $118,000, written on the Ramsey's own paper, apparently while everyone was sleeping soundly in their beds. The murder implement was from the Ramsey's house. If it's NOT the Ramsey's they not only had inside knowledge, but were the worst prepared kidnappers ever.

They also would have received a large degree of public dislike for their habit of painting up their daughter and parading her in beauty pagents, which many people have moral issues with.

Compare the behavior of the Ramsey's, with that of the VanDamme's and try to pretend that they didn't bring a lot of this on themselves. Seriously.

"They already have to live with the fact that their daughter was taken from them, they shouldn't have to be scrutinised, they should be able to do whatever they want."

If they cared much for their daughter they would have cooperated with the police. By not doing so, they forced the police to focus on them instead of persuing other avenues.

"Why can't people just leave it up to the authorities."

A lot of people have been leaving it up to the authorities, who have publically stated many times that the Ramsey's are the chief and only suspects in the crime.

Just for yucks, I looked at the Ramsey's Magnum Opus : "The Death of Innocence : The Untold Story of JonBenet's Murder and How Its Exploitation Compromised the Pursuit of Truth by John Ramsey (Author), Patsy Ramsey (Author)"

Which can be purchased used from Amazon.com for 1 cent. LOL! Just the same as a book from another famous innocent "I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions by O.J. Simpson"

Frankly Sarah, you're being awfully inconsistent and judgemental for someone who feels free to spectulate about the guilt of someone for whom there is FAR less evidence. (Barnett) And your rather nasty comments towards Ally and others make it rather hard to take you seriously.

"It's a shame that these people exist quite frankly." just doesn't reconcile with "I take the hurting of others, whether emotional or physical, very seriously."

My advice to you, (and to the Ramsey's) is this:

"When you are in a hole, stop digging!"

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

1. Ok, not personally, but the Ramsey's are aware of people pointing the finger and you are one of them. All together, yes, I believe you are all ruining their lives.

2. Yes I am. What business is it of the general public what they did? What they did proves nothing and we should treat it as such. I maintain that obtaining a solicitor was common sense.

3. Personally I don't like Steve Irwin and if he did hurt his baby then yes I would be outraged. My annoyance at him isn't what he did with his baby, I just find him irritating. If he was accused of murdering someone however, that's different. If there is no evidence to suggest he did it, who am I to judge? I find it quite strange how you think that finding someone annoying could ruin their life in the same way that people calling people murderers ruin their lives.

If people found me annoying, which you probably do by now, then it wouldn't ruin my life, that's up to them. No skin off my nose. But if people called me a murderer for the rest of my life with no evidence then, yes, I would be very upset and it would ruin my life. Having to live with that day in, day out is a very upsetting experience.

Sarah

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Please read the question again. You will notice that I did not ask you for your opinion. I asked for any evidence that I, by exercising my right of free speech am ruining their lives. The Ramseys frequently exorcise theirs and profit from it (see John's book mention above--all proceeds of which were supposed to go to a charitable fund--nada, zip contributed).

2. It is our business. When they do a TV interview before ever speaking to the police mere days after their daughter was killed--they are making it the public's business. Once they write a book and sell their story to the public at large, when they go on Dateline and every other show they can think of, they put themselves in the spotlight--they are making it our business. . They courted public attention--they can live with it.

3. Finding someone annoying...hmm. We were all discussing Stever Irwin's possible reckless endangerment of his child--that's criminal. You just had to chime in and add your two cents. You contributed to gossip that could ruin his career, expose him to scrutiny by the child welfare league..but after all, child endangerment isn't the same thing so who cares?

How would you know how the Ramseys feel? See that is the problem with all sanctimonious, holier than thou arguments. They presume to know what everyone is feeling and therefore, what everyone should do in response to that. Once again--people have to pay the consequences of their actions. If the Ramseys didn't want public attention, they shouldn't have courted it. Who are you to tell the public how they should behave in response to the Ramseys. We didn't go seeking them, they came to us. We just didn't believe them.

(Message edited by ally on January 21, 2004)

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

I think you missed my point about Steve Irwin. I said I found him irritating and what he did may be perceived as stupid, but my point was that he is annoying. Full stop. I'm sorry if it seems strange to you for me to find the murder of a little girl more important than something that Steve Irwin did.

I'm not going to change my mind about this particular case. I don't really wish to discuss it further. I don't like the fact that you dared ask how would I know how they feel. Please think before saying things in future. You know nothing about my life and I wish to keep such things to myself, but I DO know. I'm not going to go into it as I don't wish to open myself up to "public scrutiny", in other words on here. I've done things in my past that people have critised me for and thought I have been responsible for and yet somehow they presumed my actions were proof of this. It was not true and I don't wish to explain it all to strangers.

I can only voice my opinion, which is the truth as I see it. Please note the "as I see it" as I don't want people to start thinking that I am saying that my opinion is truth.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually Sarah, in this situation, I am the one thinking-you are the one emotionally reacting. I am surprised that someone who claims to wish to be a psychologist does not recognize this basic truth: Even if you had a daughter murdered and been falsely accused of her murder, you still DON'T know how the Ramseys feel. Only the Ramseys know that. Humans are not cookie cutter emotional xerox machines programmed to feel the exact same way in the same situation. So there is no "how dare I" claim that you don't know how the Ramseys feel. It's arrogance on your part to assume that you do.

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am very much into psychology and sometimes things don't always appear as they seem, people are not the same as you keep saying and some people may react in one way, like you may do, i.e. cooperate with the police, while others may not because all people handle grief in VERY different ways, this is perfectly normal. I am studying towards my degree in psychology now, not that that should matter at all, there is no "claims" about it. Even if I don't know EXACTLY how they feel, what makes you think that they are coping perfectly fine with all the accusations?? You don't. I realise you haven't said that but I bet you've done things in the past which have put you in a bad light. To err is human.

John Hacker
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Wow. Talk about a double standard. You feel entitled to offer criticism on people who post here in a public forum. (Which is fair, they've opened themselves up to it.) Even going so far as to say "It's a shame that these people exist quite frankly." (Which isn't particularly fair, but whatever.)

And yet the Ramsey's who have given countless interviews and written a book should somehow be immune to public opinion and criticism, because... why?

And although you feel entitled to tell us how the Ramsey's feel (via some sort of telepathy?) no one is entitled to ask HOW you would know? It's called asking for supporting evidence. if you don't like it when people "dare" to ask for it, you probably shouldn't be offering opinions you are unwilling to defend, because it happens all the time around here.

Dig, dig, dig, that hole.

Ally,

You nailed it with your last post. It's incredibly arrogant to tell us how another feels, and even more arrogant to presume such statements are beyond questioning. Escpecially after she has taken such a hostile tone with those who "dare" disagree with her, or question her position.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right Sarah, I have never claimed to know how they feel. I never could know how they feel and that is why as a rational person, I will not ever base my decision on something as tenuous as how another person "might possibly maybe feel".
You will never be able to know how someone feels unless they directly tell you and even then, you still won't 'know'. That is why I will base my behavior on facts that I know, on things that I have observed and act according to my feelings and my logic which is the only thing I can be certain of (ending preposition--grammar police!). I will never be so stupid as to act based on some nebulous possibility of how someone might feel about my actions. If I were to do so, I would be a sheep led by the baaing mob.

I am quite sure I have done several thousands things which people dislike and which show me in a bad light. If you haven't already gotten scads of emails from my "fan club", wait, you will. But see the difference is, I accept the consequences of my actions fully. If they dislike my actions, well gee, I don't know how I will go on but somehow, I'll make it. I would not be so bold as to tell them they should stop having an opinion about me because they might possibly hurt my feelings. I live in the real world, not in the realm of childish make-believe where everyone likes everyone else and we all get along and no one does or says anything bad ever.

To err is human. So what? Does that mean just because we all make mistakes no one should have to accept responsibility for theirs ?

Erin Sigler
Inspector
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 2:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, I have been trying to stay out of this thread because this case, more than most others, seems to generate so much hostility and ill-will among normally rational people, but I have to ask, please give Sarah a break. It's hard to state your case clearly when you feel like no matter what you say, your opinion is going to be relentlessly attacked and belittled. I too get exasperated sometimes with other posters but I think it's a good idea to try and keep things as friendly (or at least as civil) as possible.

For what it's worth, Sarah, I actually agree with you on many points, although I'm almost afraid to say so.

Erin Sigler
Inspector

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 5:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realized my last post might have come off as sounding a tad judgemental, which really wasn't my intention. This case really brings out strong emotions in people and it seems as if the more emotionally invested you are in something the more entrenched your beliefs about it become, evolving from a vague, undefined "feeling" into a conviction, a moral certainty. Thus, any and all attempts, however logical or well-meaning, to convince your opponent otherwise are equivalent to trying to pull the sword from the stone when your name isn't Arthur. The end result is a stalemate; no one is willing to budge and everyone is left with bitter misgivings about everyone else. No one here has any power over this case, but we do have the power to see that this community stays just that--a community, and not two enemy camps who would rather destroy themselves than surrender.

Okay, so maybe I'm being overally dramatic, but I think you all get my meaning. That's it for the lecture. Peace and all that to everyone.

P.S. I don't think a toilet represents peace or anything, I just wanted to make everyone laugh. Toilets (especially with heads in them) are just inherently funny. At least I think so.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erin,

I can understand how you would be afraid to post here. With Sarah making judgements that anyone who disagrees with her shouldn't exist and "how dare we" ask or challenge her on anything...why I am almost afraid to post myself.

And you ask us to give her a break?

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

I didn't say that anyone who disagrees with me shouldn't exist, please read my posts carefully in future. I said it's a shame that selfish, uncaring people who don't care about others exist, if I didn't use those exact words it's because I didn't think that I needed to spell it out for people, but obviously I do.

John,

And although you feel entitled to tell us how the Ramsey's feel (via some sort of telepathy?) no one is entitled to ask HOW you would know? It's called asking for supporting evidence. if you don't like it when people "dare" to ask for it, you probably shouldn't be offering opinions you are unwilling to defend, because it happens all the time around here.

Ok, you really want to know!! You want me to air my dirty laundry?? Fine, it' wasn't murder obviously, but since people just can't take my word for it I'll tell you.

A few years ago I was attacked and very almost raped and because I kicked up a fuss about it and told people so they knew to stay away from the person but didn't go to the police (for reasons I feel now were stupid), everyone suddenly decided that I must have led him on, which I certainly didn't. Even to this day some people like to make jokes about it at me and call me a liar and a whore. Not so much as they used to but enough to hurt me.

Can't be bothered to argue anymore.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 7:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually Sarah, you said anyone who pointed the finger didn't deserve to exist. Don't attempt to put the blame for any misunderstandings of your words on anyone but yourself. You are now further claiming that anyone who thinks the Ramseys are guilty and says so, in addition to not deserving to exist, are also selfish and uncaring. I'm so glad you feel confident enough in your own beliefs, that you are allowed to condemn anyone who doesn't follow them.

If you are going to be a psychologist, I hope you learn to view situations as they exist and not colored by your own emotions and experiences. You refuse at all to grant any concession to the idea that the Ramseys brought any of this upon themselves even though logic would indicate that even the supporters of the Ramseys (indeed one of their closest friends)told them that granting TV interviews a week after their daughter was killed and before speaking to the police would be absolute suicide.

And yet you can't even give that much and accept that even if they are innocent, a lot of the public finger-pointing was their own doing. How much is based on reality and how much is based on your emotional coloring of the situation?

It's always best not to argue about anything you feel that emotional about. It's not possible to do it well.

Cheers,

Ally

(Message edited by ally on January 22, 2004)

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

You and John both questioned how I could possibly know how the Ramsey's feel and I have simply answered that question. Since I didn't lose a daughter by murder I can only imagine that they are feeling a hell of a lot worse than me. I never claimed to know how they were feeling by the way, I only have my own vague idea from my experience. You asked, I was just answering.

I wanted to talk about this case rationally and discuss our opinions but you seem to feel the need to get nasty as I disagree with you which is not rational. So unless you can post something on here that actually seems to be posted by a rational and polite human being then I will not be replying.

If you wish to insult me further then please take it to e-mail, I obviously would rather you didn't. I don't wish to discuss this topic further with you.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

In your last few posts, you have called me selfish, uncaring and said that I didn't deserve to exist..all because I disagree with you that the Ramseys are guilty. And you say you want to discuss it rationally and that I am the one getting nasty? Please get over yourself. I have not insulted you I have disagreed with you. If you can't see the difference, then you are going to have a very rough road getting offended by everyone who fails to bow to your perspective.

John Hacker
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

In the time you've been posting to this board (JonBenet Ramsey), you've been derrogatory to the other posters, judgemental, and rude beyond belief.

You had a bad situation. For that you have my sympathies. However that is no excuse for your behavior on this board. If you want to project your own pain onto the Ramsey's, fine. But it's not a comparable situation and your emotional response is at odds with your stated desire to discuss this case rationally.

Many of us have had bad experiences to, but most of us are grown up enough to not take them out on others. While I can't say that I know how the Ramsey's feel, and would never pretend to. I have had the experience of finding the murdered sister of a friend, and had the cheery experience of leading her parents to her mangled remains in the neighbors garbage can. I got to see the look on their faces when they recognized her.

Should there be a big pity party for me now because I find that this case reminds me of my own trauma? (Because it does.) No. Because I'm a grown up.

People have been ATTEMPTING to discuss the Ramsey case rationally with you as you say you wanted to. Bringing up case evidence (the note, the murder implement, the unusual coincidence of the "ransom amount", etc), the Ramsey's behavior and how it contributes to public opinion, the callous disregard they had shown for the potential victims of any "other killer", etc.

While others offer support for their position, you offer insults, contempt, and emotionally driven hysterics. It is absolutely pathetic in my opinion that you now feel that *you've* been insulted after your remarks towards others.

We're here to discuss crime Sarah. It's not always pretty. If you cannot develop a degree of detachment, you might want to find another hobby to persue instead of allowing your personal pain to derail everyone elses conversation who are attempting to pursue a discussion on a factual rather than emotional basis.

Frankly, in my opinion you owe Ally and anyone else posting here an apology. The question is are you grown up enough to accept that?

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

I have not been rude. I have been trying simply to put my point across and considering I have come up against nothing but derogatory remarks. I never once called Ally selfish and uncaring, I simply said that people who point the finger at others and don't care about their feelings are selfish, which they are. I can't help it if she places herself in that category. The only person other than you on here has been Ally, so I have not been rude to anyone else and not even Ally. I am simply trying to put my point across and when someone looks down on you and indicates that your opinions are worthless then it is rude.

I have always been taught to stand up for myself and considering I have been accused of calling Ally selfish continuously I am surprised I have kept my temper at all. I would never be rude to anyone. Ok, if I have come across as rude then for that I am sorry. I never meant to be. It is just frustrating when some people think that theirs is the only opinion that matters. I am ok with yours and Ally's opinion but when I offered mine I am shunned. I have not insulted anyone on here. The only other person, as I have said, has been Ally so I don't see how I have insulted so many people when I haven't insulted anyone. It is not my fault if people will misinterpret what I have been saying.

Also, it is not very nice to try to get me off these boards. I am not going to be put off by you or Ally. I have done nothing wrong in my eyes.

Again, I am sorry if I have insulted anyone but I find it upsetting that you and Ally feel free to berate me and my opinion and yet I cannot defend myself against your hurtful words. Maybe you think that I have no feelings and don't care what you write but I do and it upsets me to think that anyone thinks that I have been rude when I do not mean to be. I just write in the same tone as those I have been writing to. Please can we just leave this now.

Sarah

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

What a manipulative piece of drivel. When you make generalizations that insult a group, then you are insulting anyone in that group.

Here are the exact words you used:

"It's a shame that some people think that getting a solicitor is silly and foolish and that these people are being penalised by these people.

Oh well just as long as it doesn't effect these other people, they can point the finger and ruin other people's lives. It's a shame that these people exist quite frankly."

Therefore, by your words, anyone who thinks them getting a solicitor was foolish and anyone who thinks the Ramseys are guilty (who points the finger) doesn't deserve to exist.

I happen to think the Ramseys were foolish to get an attorney straight off. I happen to think the Ramseys are guilty ( of something, if nothing other than covering up). Therefore, you said I don't deserve to exist and by my opinions, I am selfish and uncaring.

You can't claim that you never called me that by saying you made a general statement and I put myself in that group. That would be like me saying "all women are emotional, illogical, manipulative whiners who couldn't hold a rational discussion if their life depended on it" and then attempting to say I wasn't saying those things about you specifically.

Just out of curiousity, other than calling your attitude holier than thou and sanctimonious, (which gee, silly me I tend to consider any one telling me how I ought to behave and how I shouldn't exist to be) what were the dread, hurtful words that you have had to struggle so valiantly against?

I said that you were being emotional which you yourself agree you have been. I said that you need to stop viewing this case through your own bias in order to discuss it rationally, which is just common sense.

What exactly was so hurtful? I mean when measured against the fact that I shouldn't exist because I think they are guilty?

You say you respect my opinion? How exactly? By saying I have no right to have it? At least I provide something other than my own feelings to provide rationalizaton for my opinions. I provide facts of the case. You provide nothing to support your opinion other than your own feelings. Should people respect someone who has nothing more than feelings to support their opinion in a logical debate? If you want people to respect your opinion, back it up with something other than judgmental hysterics.

And the "she started it" argument is not only inaccurate but childish and best left on the playground.

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 503
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not write anything manipulative. This just goes to show how well you don't know me. Also, when did I say "she started it". See you take some things I say so literally when I don't quite say it right and yet twist other things I say into things that sound nasty.

This is all I have to say. Why can't you just leave it alone now. This is stupid. I'm not trying to fight with you here.

Erin Sigler
Inspector

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I tried to be diplomatic, but this is just getting ridiculous. This thread has entirely lost its purpose and has degenerated into the internet equivalent of a pissing match. Calling each other names doesn't do anyone any good and if I were merely a visitor to this site, this thread alone would be enough to keep me from coming back. Have you noticed that you're the only ones left posting here? Why do you think that is?

From where I sit Sarah didn't insult anyone or call anyone names, and has apologized if she did so unintentionally. If anyone's feelings got hurt, I am truly sorry, and I think Sarah is too. Why can't you let it go at that? What do you possibly have to gain from hounding her until she gives up and leaves the board altogether? The satisfaction of "winning" is fleeting, I assure you, and in the end, no matter how justified you really were or think you were you're the one who ultimately loses. The emptiest victories are those which come at the expense of your dignity, your self-respect and your credibility. I'm speaking from personal experience here--I'm quite capable of "ripping" (pun intended) anyone to shreds who happens to disagree with me but I've learned the hard way that just because you can doesn't always mean that you should.

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erin,

Amen.

At last someone with a bit of sense and humanity

Jeez Guys. Enough is enough. If it had been about the diary this thread would have been 'ceased' long ago.

I thought this crap was supposed to be left on the old boards.

Monty

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.