Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripper Movies Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » Ripper Movies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lora
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello:-)

My name is Lora,
I'm from Bulgaria (In Europe) and I don't know very good English so forgive me about my mistakes :-)

I want to know the names of the movies about Jack the Ripper.
Can anyone tell me
I'm sorry if there is the same topic

Thanks in advance.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lora,

There are about 28 so-called Jack the Ripper movies (of varying degrees of accuracy) and that's not counting maybe 20 more where he's just a character, so the list is quite extensive. There is a Jack the Ripper Movie site that lists most of them that you can probably find by doing a search or maybe someone can chime in and give it. If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I will get the name and send it to you.

Best wishes,

Stan

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lora,

Of the films I have seen on Jack, I would say these are worth a watch in order of quality, in my opinion of course.

Murder by Decree, with Christopher Plummer and James Mason
very enjoyable and although not at all accurate, just good plain storytelling and acting.

Jack the Ripper with Michael Caine, not a bad effort and although very inaccurate again, worth a watch.

From Hell, with Johnny Depp, simply because Johnny Depp is scrummy, but the film is dire.......just ignore the film and watch him.

The Jack the Ripper film with Patric Bergen was not very good, but you can watch it if you are waiting for the postman and can't go out.

The worst one ever is the Erwin Dietrich 1976 film which is so dire that it is almost good.....but you need a strong stomach to watch it.......very violent and bloody.

But as Stan suggested, go to the Jack the Ripper movie site, get a big bag of popcorn and enjoy!

Love Jane

xxxx

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I'd rather watch Heather Graham. mmmmmmm

Stan

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the point of accuracy in Ripper films, it is worth watching the Caine 1988 TV mini-series for its DESIGN.

A lot of good work is demonstrated here. For instance the cottages in "Bucks Row" are reproduced very accurately, as are some of the other murder scenes (Miller's court as I recall and the backyard at Hanbury St.

I also seem to recall reading here on Casebook that Hugh Fraser as Sir Charles Warren wears that officer's actual full dress tunic as Commissioner in a couple of scenes. can anyone confirm that?

If the scripting had been anything like as authentic as the design sought to be, that series could have been even better than it was.

I have always taken the view that the ending was switched to the "Gull" version from the (I think) four possibles that are set up at a late stage. From internal evidence, I think they were originally going to go for a Jill the Ripper ending with Jane Seymour as murderess. For one thing, at the end, Caine has scratches on his face that would fit better with that denouement. Seymour also vanishes from the final scenes despite the romantic relationship that had been built up - but watch the films - there are more subtle clues there than I have mentioned.

Phil

Mats
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What happenend to www.hollywoodripper.com ?

Did they went offline?

Why?

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dunno, Mats.

As I recall, that was the site I was thinking of.

Phil-I heard, when they were shooting the movie, that they filmed at least four different endings so no one could "leak" the conclusion beforehand. It would be cool if they came out with a DVD where you could choose the ending you liked most. I'd like that, except, I don't remember any of the options being that good.

Stan

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil -

In the 1988 one, Miller's Court is remarkably accurate but the backyard of #29 was appalingly bad. Not least because the corpse wagon walks off technically right through the fence of #31...

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 1:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must watch it again, Philip. I have it on video but it's been a few years since i watched it.

Phil

Stephen Leece
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you read the novelised version of the Wickes-Caine production by Mark Daniel that has 4 different endings too; but they were different from the endings shot for the series. The book goes for Eddy, Gull, Spratling and Lusk as the options for the Ripper. The film went for Gull, Lusk, the Pimp and Eddy as the choice of Ripper.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.