Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through April 13, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » White, Sergeant Stephen » The Peoples Journal article 26th September 1919 » Archive through April 13, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Clack
Sergeant
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone

I first read the following article in Doald Rumbelow's "The Complete Jack the Ripper".
Like many newspaper and magazine articles, there is no official documetation to corroborate the article. The article, written by 'a Scotland Yard man', appeared after Sergeant Whites death in 1919, and tells how Sergeant White patrolled the streets in disguise, and then goes on to relate an inccident, apparently from one of Sergeants White's report:

For five nights we had been watching a certain alley behind the Whitechapel Road. It could only be entered from where we had two men posted in hiding, and persons entering the alley were under observation by the two men. It was a bitter cold night when I arrived at the scene to take the report of the two men in hiding. I was turning away when I saw a man coming out of the alley. He was walking quickly but noiselessly, apparently wearing rubber shoes, which were rather rare in those days. I stood aside to let him pass, and as he came under the wall lamp I got a good look at him.
He was about five feet ten inches in height, and was dressed rather shabbily, though it was obvious that the material of his clothes was good. Evidently a man who had seen better days, I thought, but men who had seen better days are common enough down East, and that of itself was not sufficent to justify me in stopping him. His face was long and thin, nostrils rather delicate, and his hair was jet black. His complexion was inclined to be sallow, and altogether the man was foreigh in appearance. The most striking thing about him, however, was the extraordinary brilliance of his eyes. They looked liked two very luminous glow worms coming through the darkness. The man was slightly bent at the shoulders, though he was obviously quite young - about thirty three, at the most - and gave one the idea of having been a student or professional man. His hands were snow white, and the fingers long and tapering.
As the man passed me at the lamp, I had an uneasy feeling that there was something more than usually sinister about him, and I was strongly moved to find some pretext for detaining him; but the more I thought it over, the more I was forced to the conclusion that it was not in keeping with British Police methods that I should do so. My only excuse for interfering with the passage of this man would have been his association with the man we were looking for, and I had no real grounds for connecting him with the murder. It was true I had a sort of intuition that the man was not quite right. Still, if one acted on intuition in the Police force, there would be more frequent outcries about interference with the liberty of subject, and at that time the Police were criticized enough to make it undesirable to take risks.
The man stumbled a few feet away from me, and I made that an excuse for engaging him in conversation. He turned sharply at the sound of my voice, and scowled at me in a surely fashion, but he said "Good-night" and agreed with me that it was cold.
His voice was a surprise to me. It was soft and musical, with just a tinge of melancholy in it, and it was a voice of a man of culture - a voice altogether out of keeping with the squalid surroundings of the East End.
As he turned away, one of the Police officers came out of the house he had been in and walked a few paces into the darkness of the alley. "Hello! what is this?" he cried, and then he called in startled tones to me to come along.
In the East End we are used to shocking sights, but the sight I saw made the blood in my veins turn to ice. At the end of the cul-de-sac, huddled against the wall, there was the body of a woman, and a pool of blood was streaming along the gutter from her body. It was clearly another of those terrible murders. I remembered the man I had seen, and started after him as fast as I could run, but he was lost to sight in the dark labyrinth of the East End mean streets.

The article goes on to state:
It was White's discription that gave the late Sir Robert Anderson his conviction that the murderer was a Jewish medical student, who had taken this method of avenging himself on women of the class to which the victim belonged.
... Sir Robert Anderson...afterwards, in comparing notes, expressed the opinion that the murderer and his victim had entered the close during the temporary absence of the two watching policemen. The men afterwards admitted that they had gone away for not more than a minute.

An abridged version of this article appeared in the A-Z, and misses out an important sentence. I believe it relates to Mitre Square.
Any opinions would be welcome, there are a lot of debatable points. And any information regarding Stephen White would be welcome.

Rob

Chris Phillips
Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm curious about which "important sentence" was omitted by the A-Z.

Chris Phillips

Robert Clack
Sergeant

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Its "My only excuse for interfering with the passage of this man would have been his association with the man we were looking for, and I had no real grounds for connecting him with the murder."
I believe that is a referance to Elizabeth Stride. Also the word association is a curious word to use. It implies to me that the police believed there may be an accomplice.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Sergeant
Username: Robert

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

Good point. "Murder", singular, is very suggestive.

On the other hand, if this was Eddowes's murderer, how could his hands have been snow white?

Another thing that puzzles me is, the man is walking quickly, and White begins to have suspicions about him as he comes up level with White at the lamp. By the time the man had stumbled, a few feet from him, White had had time to do quite a lot of thinking regarding whether he should stop him ("the more I thought it over, the more I was forced to the conclusion..."). The pace of what's happening seems wrong.

It's a fascinating passage.

Robert

Robert Clack
Sergeant

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

The problem I have seen with newspaper and magazine accounts(and I have noticed this on other boards as well), is how much is fact and how much is journalistic licence.
It does read like a official report, but with embellishment. So while he had suspicions, they may have been over embellished by the Scotland Yard man, who ever he may be.

As for his hands being snow white, I was going to say it was "bitter cold", but then I realised you mean no blood (sorry I just woke up). Good point. Two things spring to mind:

1, Catharine Eddowes shawl. He could have wiped his hands on it, and dropped it, just before he saw Sergeat White. It would explain P.C. Amos Simpson finding the shawl, but this is pure speculation on my part.

2, Gloves. I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere else, but I see no reason why Jack the Ripper couldn't have worn gloves, and put them in his pockets after committing a murder (surgical gloves anyone?)

Rob

Richard Brian Nunweek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone.
Every time I read that statement from White, I like most people conjure up Druitt,it is almost if he is looking at his picture and describing him.
Height 5ft 10inches, similar to the good samaritan at Strides attack?.
Also there is a report that Kelly was seen talking to a man on the wednesday before her death to a man with unusual eyes.
A possible description of our killer, but no more then that.
Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Sergeant

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob and Richard

Since we're on to Druitt, how about kid gloves? Can they be white?(My dress sense extends to a new anorak).

Something else I don't understand : White arrived to take the report from the two officers, something he evidently managed to do, because he was turning away. Then he sees the stranger. If this man had entered the alley with the woman while the two officers were absent, you'd think the officers would have reported to White that the place was empty. In which case, wouldn't White have felt he had cause to question the man, if only to find out how he'd got in?

Maybe he initially took him for one of the residents Rumbelow mentions?

Robert

Robert Clack
Sergeant

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard and Robert

Richard, Druitt has never been a favorite of mine, but I must admit I see the resemblance to Druitt, also I would probably discribe Druitt as a man of culture as well.
The report you mention is from "The Western Mail, 12 November 1888". and the report is:
Harry Bowyer states that on Wednesday night he saw a man speaking to Kelly who resembled the description given by the fruiterer [Matthew Packer]of the supposed Berner Street murderer. He was, perhaps, 27 or 28 and had a dark moustache and very peculiar eyes. His appearance was rather smart and attention was drawn to him by showing very white cuffs and a rather long white collar, the ends of which came down in front over a black coat. He did not carry a bag.

That is a good description of someone else, who I won't bother to mention his name.

Everytime I try and mentally picture Jack it's two glowing eyes that stick out in my mind.

Richard, if the two men were watching a particular alley, I don't think they would be allowed to leave there posts, which is why they didn't mention it.
And my dress sense is still in the seventies, but I don't think it matters what colour they are I believe he may have killed his victim with gloves on and taking them of after he finishes mutilating the victim and putting them in his pockets. The torn apron was just to clean the blood of the knife.

Rob

Jim DiPalma
Police Constable
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Please don't waste your time on that article in The People's Journal. There is nothing in the official files that supports any of it. It is, at best, a highly embellished journalistic account, and quite possibly a total fabrication.

The first indication that the article is not factual is the anonymity of the author, described only as "A Scotland Yard Man". The second indication is that by the date of publication, White was already deceased. So, we have a story that is told second-hand at best, with no possibility of refutation from the alleged
source, who was by then conveniently deceased. On those two points alone, alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear.

Now let's turn to the many factual errors in the article.

None of the murder sites fits the description given in the article. It can't be Mitre Square, because Mitre Square was not a cul-de-sac. Castle Alley is out for the same reason. The description of the site as "at the end of the cul-de-sac, huddled against the wall there was the body of a woman, and a pool of blood was streaming along the gutter from her body" suggests it could pertain to the murder of Liz Stride, but Berner Street could hardly be described as "a certain alley just behind the Whitechapel Road".

There is no record of *any* description of a suspect given by White. The only police officer to see a suspect near the scene of a murder was PC Smith, and his description does not match that given in the article. There is also nothing in the official records to indicate that White was present at the scene of any of the murders.

Finally, Sir Robert Anderson never described his suspect as "a Jewish medical student".

The article has been dismissed by Phil Sugden, and a few years ago on the old boards Stewart Evans posted a solid refutation. The article is far more fiction that historical fact, and should be regarded as such.

Cheers,
Jim

Robert Clack
Sergeant

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jim

While I take much of what you say on board, I don't think we can dismiss it just like that.
Just because there is no Official confirmation of the story, doesn't mean there weren't any. As you are probably aware, a lot of police files have gone missing over the years. Also I regard the article in the same way as I do any of the police memoirs. How many errors are in Sir Melville Macnaughtens book? Sir Robert Andersons? Major Henry Smiths? Walter Dews?
I believe Mitre Square is scene, and Stephen White like most of the article was relying on memory. And don't forget he was technically not supposed to be there as he was on City Police territory, which may explain no official explanation.

I do agree with you that we have to be very cautious. I have learnt over the years to keep an open mind with anything to do with Jack the Ripper.

Finally Sir Melville Macnaughten said Druitt was a doctor, so do we just dismiss him?

All the best

Rob

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jim:

You might be interested to know that I gave a talk recently to a group that included an attorney who has read up on the case, and who was told me both that the P.C. White story had a basis and that the police had Mitre Square staked out (!!!). I wonder in that case how the murderer managed to kill Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square?

All the best

Chris

Robert Clack
Sergeant

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thanks for saying that. I spent two hours typing that report.

I am quite surprised to hear Mitre Square was being staked out. I don't believe it was connected with Jack the Ripper. I originally thought it may have something to do with the Post Office in Aldgate, as the Police were watching it. And it was robbed on the night of the double event.

Do you know where the attorney got his information.

Rob

Jim DiPalma
Police Constable

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Robert, yes, I'm perfectly well aware that many of the police files have gone missing, but that is not relevant. Simply put, lack of contrary evidence is not proof. To imply that substantiation of the People's Journal article may have been in the missing files is to engage in sheer speculation as to the content of those files, and speculation is also not proof. As it stands, there is not a shred of historical evidence to support that article, and that is why professional historians such as Sugden have dismissed it.

I would agree there are demonstrable errors in the MacNaughten memorandum, many of which can be attributed to his self-confessed habit of relying on memory rather than written notes. But I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, IMO there's no comparison between the MacNaughten memorandum and the People's Journal article. The former was an internal document written by a senior police official who had access to all the files while the investigation was still active, and who had no expectation of publication. The latter was a sensationalized account written over 30 years after the murders by an anonymous journalist who had no access to official files, for the express purpose of publication. There's a significant difference in credibility between the two.

Chris, details please. What is the alleged basis for the story, and to re-iterate Rob's question, what is the source of this information?

Best to all,
Jim

Robert Clack
Sergeant

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jim

True, there is a lot of speculation, which is why we have to be carefull. There is no proof either way to prove or disprove the 'Peoples Journal', and there is certainley no proof to say it was written by an anonymous journalist who had no access to the files, for the express purpose of publication.
Also we are talking about one incident in which Stephen White was allegedly involved in, based on one of his reports. I read what Phillip Sugden has to say, and it is clearly just his opinion, and he offers no proof to back up his claim. Don't get me wrong about Phillip Sugden, as his book is still the best one I have read, I just don't agree with him on this point.
I can think of several reasons to dismiss the story:

1, To much journalistic licence.
2, No traceable facts.
3, Doesn't fit in exactly with any of the murders.
4, No corroboration from official sources.

I don't think I can think of as many reason to think it's true:

1, It would tie in with what is know about Catarine Eddowes shawl.
2, We know the police were staking out alleys and premises in the area.
3, We know Stephen White was involved in the Elizabeth Stride murder.
4, Nope, can't think of a fourth

There is no proof either way, which is why I put it on the discussion board to get everyones opinion, which I appreciate (even yours Jim).
I would like it to be true, but if someone gives me proof that it's a load of old rubbish, then great, at least we know for certain.

All the best

Rob

P.S. Would anyone know if a copy of the whole magazine is available somewhere? I understand there maybe reports (stories?)on other cases Stephen White may be involved in, it may help determining how reliable he is.

Marie Finlay
Detective Sergeant
Username: Marie

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

Normally, I agree with much of what you write, but, honestly speaking- I must say I agree with Jim, in this case.

My reason being, it really reads to me like a piece of fiction, the author going out of his way to create a supernatural 'spooky' character. Particularly the 'glowing eyes' bit.

I mean, who really has glowing eyes?

John Ruffels
Police Constable
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I know I am going to regret starting a correspondence on Stephen White on this site, because the main information we have is a newspaper article published in the (Dundee) PEOPLE'S JOURNAL some twenty one years after the last Ripper murder.As pointed out, White was dead when the article was written.
If he HAD been secretly employed by James Munro's Special Branch, and much in the article suggests he was; then his death would absolve him of his obligations under the Official Secrets Act (which, incidentally, was created the very year the Ripper murders occurred!).
Point One:There can be no doubt that the Ripper must have been spooked after the Mitre Square murder .The night of the "Double event".He broke his regular pattern and no murders occurred for a whole month.
Point Two:A look at the sketches ordered by the Coroner for the Eddowes Inquest,and published by Sir Francis Camps, clearly shows the position of the policeman who first spotted the corpse in Mitre Square.(Marked as "B" on the plan).
Just behind the policeman can be clearly seen a house denoted as a police constable's residence.
Sir Robert Anderson believed the Ripper was able to carry out the Mitre Square murder because of the temporary absence of the policeman/men.
Point Three:A sudden cold snap and even rain, would have made conditions uncongenial for staking out dreary alleys and courts in 1888 London.Such conditions are variously described for that night.A friendly police colleagues' welcoming hearth could have been very tempting.
Point Four:I believe something sensational was discovered by police detectives on the night of the Mitre Square murder.Perhaps the discovery -by White- that a middleclass ENGLISHMAN, as opposed to a Russian or Polish Jewish immigrant,could have been resposible for these insane murders, might have caused a huge rethink of the Scotland Yard approach.Druitt could have passed as Semitic at a pinch.
Point Five:White's pal describes White getting a good look at the suspect under a street lamp.Critics have said there were none in Mitre Square.The Coroner's sketch indicates their location.
I will limit my discussion to those brief points.
Adding the rider that I agree there are vastly unsatisfactory aspects to the detail provided in the White article.I agree all the negative ingredients are there: sensationalism; misunderstood details; fleshed out vague passages from White's original document;exaggerations and
outright invention.
As for the glowing eyes: this does sound bizarre.
But if "Sherlock Holmes" could take cocaine injections in 1880's London, why not Montague John Druitt?

Marie Finlay
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John, you posted: "But if "Sherlock Holmes" could take cocaine injections in 1880's London, why not Montague John Druitt?"

Well, I'd be quite happy with a description of the eyes to be 'strange', 'peculiar', 'bizarre', or something along those lines.

But I have a problem with the word 'glowing', because it seems to imply some type of bioluminescence. This reminds me of the ever-popular myth that 'Jack' was some type of 'demon', 'monster', or 'evil spirit' that inhabited the bodies of men.

This myth stems, I feel, from peoples unwillingness to admit that horrible murders such as these, can be committed by seemingly ordinary men.

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jim:

First, Jim, sorry for addressing you as R.J. -- I am a bit dyslexic and get similar names mixed up and keep mixing you up with R. J. Palmer. I have corrected the salutation on the post to you above.

I met the attorney, James Lange, at a talk on the case that I gave at a Maryland regional meeting of Mensa last Saturday. Mr. Lange characterized himself as a Druittist. However, I don't believe his information on the case was good, from the mere fact that he believed the White story, and that he told the story of Mitre Square being staked out. In fact, he told me that Don Rumbelow, with whom he has apparently been in contact, told him Mitre Square was staked out. But that simply can't be so, as I indicated earlier, because if the square had been staked out, the murder of Catherine Eddowes could never have taken place. Thus, I am convinced he had mixed up whatever Don had told him.

Best regards

Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Sergeant

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I agree that it doesn't look very much as if Mitre Square was staked out on the night Sept 29th-30th, with the Eddowes murder happening under the noses of the police (though with so many policemen and ex-policemen nearby anyway, one wonders!)

But is it possible that the Mitre Square stakeout story could have originated with an experimental stakeout by the police a few days AFTER Eddowes's murder?

I'm remembering here Inspector Moore's story of how his men had surrounded a murder site, and within a few minutes fifty people had entered by passageways unknown to the watchers.

Maybe the City police heard about this and tried it themselves, in order to test how likely it was that Lawende had seen murderer and victim, and also to determine the number of exits.

If it wasn't for the fact that Moore was in the Met and not the City, I'd wonder whether it was Mitre Square he was talking about.

By the way, Chris, do you know what's happened to Ripperologist? (I didn't write this whole rambling message just as an excuse to ask you that, honest!)

Robert

Robert Clack
Sergeant

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marie, everyone

Marie perhaps he ate a lot of carrots?

I know I am walking on quicksand persuing this, but I don't see it as much different as trying to prove whether any of the letters are genuine.
Still some good points have come up. And could anyone explain the sentence "and I had no real grounds for connecting him with the murder"
I don't believe a journalist would write something like that, not of the top of his head.

As for Stephen White in the 1901 census he was living at 39 Senrab Street, Mile End Old Town. He retired the previous year as Inspector, he was only 46. The only other persons living there was his wife Olive, 45 years old, and Isaac Alfred Hopping age 19. He is listed as visitor and his profession is Butler.

Rob

Marie Finlay
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps he did eat a lot of carrots.

Whenever I read this line "They looked liked two very luminous glow worms coming through the darkness", I get an image of the Star Wars Jawas with glowing eyes....

Thanks for posting it, though- the article certainly makes an interesting read, but I'm still somewhat inclined to disbelieve it.

Kevin Braun
Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

While I tend to discount the "The People's Journal" article, if accurate, it does seem to describe Dr. Robert Donston Stephenson.

From the article...

"He was about five feet ten inches in height, and was dressed rather shabbily, though it was obvious that the material of his clothes was good. Evidently a man who had seen better days, I thought, but men who had seen better days are common enough down East, and that of itself was not sufficent to justify me in stopping him. His face was long and thin, nostrils rather delicate, and his hair was jet black. His complexion was inclined to be sallow, and altogether the man was foreigh in appearance. The most striking thing about him, however, was the extraordinary brilliance of his eyes. They looked liked two very luminous glow worms coming through the darkness. The man was slightly bent at the shoulders, though he was obviously quite young - about thirty three, at the most - and gave one the idea of having been a student or professional man. His hands were snow white, and the fingers long and tapering."

Stephenson:

Height: 5'11'
Face: pale, sallow, no color
Clothes: worn through brushing rather than wear, respectable shabby
Voice: pleasant and cultured
Build: Lean and slim
Eyes: Pale blue, Victoria Creamers "there was not a vestige of life or sparkle in them"

Excited pale blue eyes under a "lamp" could possibly look like "very luminous glow worms coming through the darkness".

He was 46 in 1888.

Take care,
Kevin

Jim DiPalma
Police Constable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Chris, no worries about the name mixup. Thanks for passing along the information from Mr. Lange. Skeptical as I am regarding the White story, I'm always interested in new information. I am inclined to agree with you that if Mr. Lange is claiming Don Rumbelow was the source of the stakeout story, then he must have confused what Don had told him.

Robert, true enough, no proof either way. If something did turn up that showed White staked out a murder site or was present after the discovery of a body, I'd be willing to accept that there may be a grain of truth to the story. As it stands now though, given the factual errors, lack of historical substantiation, and reading so much like a piece of fiction, I'm inclined to dismiss it entirely.

Best to all,
Jim

John Ruffels
Sergeant

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Roberts & Chrises; Marie, Kevin & Jim,
Thank you for raising the Steve White article.
I personally, think it is one of the most interesting press stories in the whole pantheon.
Should anyone have noticed my previous posting above, (and thanks Marie foryour 'bioluminescence'
observation),the Coroner's sketches referred to
have been reproduced in two JTR books that I know of:Daniel Farson's "JACK THE RIPPER"(the Faber paperback,1972); and Paul Harrison's JACK THE RIPPER:THE MYSTERY SOLVED (Robert Hale,1991).
Surprisingly, given the small format of the Farson book, the sketch appears as remarkably detailed under a magnifying glass.
I have had another look at it and am dismayed to see the spot marked B, which forms one end of a dotted line, the other marked A, ends at the corpse, and thus, presumeably the line of sight the policeman was in when he first saw the body;
mark B is inside a long railed off area parallel to the pavement ,just outside the police constable resident's front door....
Given that nearby caretaker at Kearley & Tonges yard,George Morris,an expoliceman,said he could usually hear the PC's footsteps as he pounded his regular beat in Mitre Square,(but did NOT the night of the murder)and given the PC living in the Square,Richard Pearse, claimed he slept soundly through the whole thing, only waking at 2.20am when a policeman knocked...something very strange was going on...or someone was telling
tarradiddles.
There is written evidence of Steve White's involvement in investigating Matthew Packer,but
how curious, no official papers survive in MEPOL or HO files concerning Montague Druitt's involvement in the case, or of the things Steve White is claiming.Even if they were not about Mitre Square.
Perhaps they were souvenired like the red ink "Ripper" letter.Framed and mounted in Sir Melville Macnaghten's house!
And didn't a suitcase full of Ripper files turn up at Scotland Yard,from the descendants of an ex policeman? And didn't someone find photos and sketches in the basement at London Hospital?Hmmm.

John Ruffels
Sergeant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I was wrong about the Coroner's sketches for the Catharine Eddowes Inquest being reproduced in Peter Harrison's JACK THE RIPPER: THE MYSTERY SOLVED, it was correctly, in Paul Begg's JACK THE RIPPER: THE UNCENSORED FACTS (Robsons Books:Reprinted Paperback:1989).Dohh!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.