Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Problem Phrases Within the Diary Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » Problem Phrases Within the Diary « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
"A ring or two will leave this clue.... two farthings...."
These comments clearly allude to the rings and farthings allegedly found "arranged" near the body of Annie Chapman. But we now know the farthings were a contemporary press canard. Is this a problem for the diary?
Dan Norder61 11-30-04  12:26 pm
"Damn it damn it damn it the bastard almost caught me"
The diarist here seems to indicate that he came very closed to being nicked, possibly by Abberline himself. Is this verifiable in the historical record?
Tiddley boyar28 9-16-04  7:23 pm
"I have left the stupid fools a clue which I am sure they will not ...Tom Mitchell22 4-24-04  9:56 am
"I took refreshment at the Poste House"
Apparently a mention of a specific inn or tavern, which no researcher has yet been able to trace. Does this prove the diary a fake? Or could it have been a more general term for an otherwise-named establishment?
AAD461 10 8-03-05  4:28 pm
"if Michael can succeed in rhyming verse then I can do better..."...
Here the diarist suggests that his brother (Michael Maybrick, aka musician Stephen Adams) was lyricist. We know Michael wrote music and was famous for his singing voice, but there is no evidence to suggest he ever wrote lyrics. Is this damning evidence?
Caroline Anne Morris76 9-29-04  12:49 pm
"Left them on the table..."
The diarist states that he "left them [Mary Kelly's breasts] on the table," which is in accordance with contemporary press reports describing the murder scene. But official police reports show that one breast was by the right foot, and one beneath the head.
Caroline Anne Morris28 9-29-04  9:41 am
"Mrs. Hammersmith..."
The diarist mentions a "Mrs. Hammersmith", and yet no one has yet been able to trace this name to an identifiable person within Maybrick's social circle.
John V. Omlor197 9-06-05  12:29 pm
"Oh costly intercourse/of death"
The diarist includes this phrase, originally used by poet Richard Crashaw. Michael Barrett claims he found this line in a book he is known to have owned. Is this a problem for the diary?
Caroline Anne Morris268 9-29-04  11:06 am
"Regret I did not take any of it away with me..."Sergeant Charles Eyt16 4-15-05  7:11 am
"Tin match box empty"
"Tin match box empty" is a phrase found in both the diary and in an official police report describing the possessions found on Catherine Eddowes' body. Does this indicate a forgery, or information only the killer would have known?
John V. Omlor232 10-13-05  8:26 am
"With the key I did flee"...
The author of the diary seems to indicate with this phrase (part of a rhyme) that he took the key to Kelly's room with him, after the murder.
John V. Omlor44 8-19-04  8:36 am
Could not get the bitches head offJennifer D. Pegg56 12-03-04  12:04 pm
Leather ApronJohn V. Omlor167 5-11-05  1:00 pm
The HandwritingMF258 10-25-04  9:46 am
Twin Peaks & The Maybrick DiaryR.J. Palmer3-13-04  8:30 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.