Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Ripper?! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » The Ripper?! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

T.E.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone.First of all;sorry 4 my bad english,im norwegian and german is my second language,but hope u understand anyway.Some years ago i`v read a old norwegian encyclopaedia from the 1920-3o`s were a retired police-investigator from Oslo wrote something that was very interesting;He said that he was a young man when The Ripper commited his crimes and that he got very interested in the case.He continued;"..but i never had any doubt about who the ripper was:a man who had commited many murders in Argentina(Buenos Aires)in the same way,and he tryed the same in Austria but he got arrested.This suspected commited suicide before the trail started in a jail in Vienna".I dont remember his name,but it was either jewish or eastern-european.The investigator continued whit saying that most of the police in Europe was certain that this was the ripper.My question is;is this man one of the suspected at the frontpaige here?Have anyone heard about this man before?Im not so into the ripper-case,but i`v just found this interesting.

Donald Souden
Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torkel,

Don't apologize. Your English is understandable, which is more than can be said about my Norwegian (it is nonexistent in fact). Anyway, the suspect you describe is almost assuredly Alios (Alois) Szemeredy who is listed under that name further down on this "Suspects" page. I hope this was a help.

Don.

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torkel, Don,

There is no doubt that the suspect, as Don says, isi Alois Szemeredy, who was Hungarian. He was in jail for murdering a woman in Buenos Aires in 1876. In 1892 he committed suicide in jail in Pressburg, which today is Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia.

Cheers,
Eduardo

T.E.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don and Eduardo,

Thanks for ur answer,i will look for Szemeredy further down at the suspects-list.I´m really impressed by ur knowledge related to this case.

Best wishes from the cold&dark north.

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torkel,

If you really want to read about Szemeredy you might wish to look for the book Danish journalist Carl Muusmann wrote about him in 1908. Being from Norway, you should certainly be able to read it in the original Danish. You'll find the book's name , which I don't remember off hand, but which translates into English as 'Who was Jack the Ripper', under Non-Fiction Books either in these boards or in another section of the Casebook; probably in both. It is, incidentally, one of the very first serious books on the Ripper. A bilingual edition was published a few years ago including both the original text and an English translation. The publisher was Adam Wood, a member of Ripperologist magazine's editorial team. Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,
Eduardo

T.E.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eduardo,

Yes,reading Danish is certainly no problem since Danish and Norwegian is the same literary language.I`shall take a look at Muusmann`s book,thanks for the tip.I`v just read Adolf Paul`s original text in Swedish(also the same language as Danish and Norwegian)from 1889 who was layed out here,who was thrilling to read.

Eduardo,what is ur personally opinion concerning Szemeredy as a suspect?

Best wishes,
Torkel

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Torkel,

I apologise for not replying sooner. I haven't been on the boards for a few days.

Frankly, I don't think that Szemeredy is, at this point, a very strong Ripper suspect. I did some research on him both at the Argentine National Library in Buenos Aires and at the Austrian National Library in Vienna. From the first I got information on his murder of a prostitute in 1876 in Buenos Aires, as a result of which he spent some time in prison. From the second I got information on his suicide in prison in Pressburg. The press reports I brought back from Vienna are in German and I have not yet had them fully translated into English. But although Muusmans contends that Szemeredy was the Ripper,I have so far seen no corroborating evidence to this effect. Barring that, or even some proof that he was in London at the time of the Ripper murders, he must remain among the less impressive suspects.

Tell me a bit more about Adolf Paul's book, please, as I don't believe it has been translated into English

By the way, what part of Norway do you come from? I travelled in Norway a number of years ago and I have great memories of that trip.

All the best,
Eduardo

T
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again Eduardo,

Adolf Paul`s book is rearly about Jack the ripper at all,its more like poetry and short story`s,but i liked i anyway.I live 25 minutes outside Oslo,westside.Where in Norway did u travel?And what is your country?I guess Argentina since u got this knowledge about Szemeredy?

Take care,
Torkel

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Torkel,

I took the overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo. From Oslo I took the train to Bergen. I returned by train and boat via - I think - Stavenger to Oslo and then back to Copenhagen. Lovely landscape, great trip.

You guessed right: I was born in Argentina, more precisely, in Buenos Aires, but I've lived abroad for many years, mostly in New York and Geneva. I live in Southern Spain at present.

There is another book about the Ripper in Swedish whose name I don't remember off hand. I'll look it up and get back to you.

Cheers,
Eduardo

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eduardo, as far as you know did the great Argentine detective Juan Vucetich ever give his opinion on the Jack the Ripper Case?

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vucetich, Schmucetich. When will we be able to get over this idea that other "criminal experts" have the solution, that they will do our thinking for us? Conversely, we have to teach ourselves how to do that if we are to succeed.

Saddam

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

Sorry I took so long to come back to you. Juan Vucetich is revered in my country, where many people believe that he discovered fingerprinting, a notion that some jingoistic Chief of Police must have introduced many years ago. Of course, Vucetich's special genius was to read about fingerprinting and develop a working system of his own, which apparently still contained some elements of 'bertillonage'. Although he worked for the police, he was not the first to use fingerprinting to catch a criminal. That honour went to the La Plata Police Chief, one Alvarez, who, remembering a chat with Vucetich, thought of comparing a bloody thumbprint on a door with a suspect's thumbprint. It was the first case of its kind in the world, in 1892, no less, and won worldwide fame for Vucetich. Material rewards were not so many, but within a few years Argentina srted fingerprinting everybody in the country with a view to creating a National Identity Record. Argentine passports and I.D. cards still carry a big thumbprint.
Back to your specific comment, I am not aware that he ever made any remarks about the Ripper case, though I'm sure he wrote some books about fingerprinting, which he baptised "dactyloscopy". Yet he was in the police at the time of the Ripper and the case was universally known. Maybe I should ask my researcher on the spot to look it up.

All the best,
Eduardo

José Luís Scarsi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Estimado Sr. Eduardo Zinna,
En las últimas semanas he venido siguiendo algunas comunicaciones suyas en lo referente a la vida y peripecias de Alois Szemeredy.
Yo vivo en Buenos Aires y tangencialmente, investigando el asesinato de Carolina Metz, encontré mucha información sobre este sujeto y ahora, vengo a enterarme que algunos investigadores lo sindican como sospechoso de haber sido Jack el destripador.
Poseo informes de prensa y de policía referentes a los años en que estuvo en Sudamérica y del proceso judicial que sufrió por el asesinato del que finalmente fue absuelto.
Recurro a Ud. para que me ayude en la medida de lo posible a comprender exactamente el porqué se supone que Szemeredy era el mismo Jack el destripador, dado que en lo que he leído hasta ahora solamente se funda como evidencia el hecho de que estaba en Londres para esa fecha sin ningún otro dato contundente.

Me es imposible conseguir el libro de Carl Muusmann y tal vez allí exista alguna respuesta que Ud me pueda acercar.

Me gustaría estar en contacto con Ud. para intercambiar información.

Mi dirección de email es:

jlscarsi@yahoo.com.ar

Atentamente

José Luis Scarsi

Andrea E. Oh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

José,
Hola me llamo Andrea y solo queria saber si tu supias a Juan Vucetich. Yo estoy trabajando en un proyecto para mi clase de ciencias y necesito saber si el tiene algunas palabras (quotes?) famosas...

gracias
-A

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.