Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

James maybricks grave Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » James maybricks grave « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello all,
i have just recieved from the library the last victim by anne graham and carol emmas. i have not yet read the book. the point i would like to make is re the picture of what has happened to james maybricks gravestone in that it has been vandalised. i was not previously aware of this. i feel strongly that not only is this totally out of order etc especially considering it is not just his grave but also partly that people like myself, who fund ripper books etc must be partly responsible for this. is there therefore any way a replica stone can be created, knowing that there are pictures of the orignal, so that the original can be stored safely somewhere and any further damage would not be done to the said original. i realise this is really an issue dor maybrick decendants but that is my piece.
all the best
jennifer
ps i feel better for having written this!

MF
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe they should replace Michael Maybrick's tombstone with a replica too. You've read The Last Victim by now. So what do you think?
Did Michael do it? Is he the Giant Jack Killer?

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
this issue about james Maybricks grave is still annoying me.

Jenni

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

Your concern over the vandalizing of James Maybrick's gravestone is well meant. I believe this happened pretty soon after the publication of Shirley Harrison's book and the publicity in the Liverpool Daily Post about James Maybrick being named as a Jack the Ripper suspect. However, please note that there are sick people who vandalize tombs no matter whether they are the graves of a famous person or not, so in that sense Maybrick's grave is only one of many graves, or indeed many other historic sites, that have been senselessly desecrated.

All the best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
my concern is based mainly on guilt.

yes there are sickos who vandalise graves no matter what. but i cant help feeling (guiltly) that the industry of ripperology of ewhich we are all part is responsible for creating this particualr infamy and vandalism.

thats all now is a good time to remember this
Jenni

MayFlowerMarK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. George and Ms. Pegg,
The headstone was damaged sometime in the "20 years" previous to the news-story, according to Mr. Feldman. He says he saw the broken gravestone in Feb. 1993, two months before the Liverpool Post broke the story.
Shirley Harrison's book came out five months later, in July, 1993.
Mr. Feldman's book says it's the only vandalized headstone in the cemetary so it must have been targeted especially.
The water damage is extensive and it makes me wonder....
The pictures on Casebook still show the watermarks that look for all the world like a man holding a knife as described by Mr. Feldman....

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://casebook.org/suspects/james_maybrick/mbgrave.html

I'd hate to disagree with something Paul feldman might have said in his book.

There was previous damage to the headstone but i would assume that this was down to normal things. as in gravestones are fragile. as the casebook link shows further damage was done to the headstone by sickos thanks to a documentary.

(Message edited by jdpegg on December 15, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.