Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

John Pizer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Piser, John » John Pizer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neil K. MacMillan
Police Constable
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I mentioned Pizer in the suspect section but he appears to have been rather rapidly dismissed as a suspect by the police and I find no mention of him in the suspects section of the message boards or the case book. I have a few questions about Pizer (Including spelling of his last name). I would like to use him in my novel.
First was he foriegn born? I seem to recall mention made possibly on the old boards that he was Swiss. Was he ever arrested for mususing and extorting prostitutes? And finally do we have a basic deascription of the man? Are there articles extant about Pizer? Thanks again and if I am in the wrong area, I apologize Kindest regards, Neil

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neil
I believe the usual spelling is Pizer but I have also seen him mentioned as Piser and very probably Pozer on the press reports of 1887 when he was charged with a stabbing.
According to the A-Z he was of Polish Jewish extraction but probably born in the UK. Having said that, his family at 22 Mulberry Street is listed in the 1881 census (but he is not included) and they are all listed as born in Germany. Those listed in 1881 are August Pizer (widowed head of household)aged 61, and her children Jeanette aged 27, Gabriel (son) aged 25 and Barnett (son) aged 21. As for charges against him, there is the Pozer incident of 1887 for which he got six months hard labour. He was charged with indecent assault on August 4 1888 but the case was dismissed.
Hope this helps
Chris S

N R
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 6:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Pizer was my great great great uncle, according to my grandfather he was a Polish Jew and his name was spelt Pizer.

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any discription on John Pizer and N.R. any familial input? Neil

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neill,

I seem to be following you around the board. Here is what I know of Pizer's appearance....

He was a short man, heavily built with a dark beard and moustache having a foreign accent.......he had a distinctly Jewish appearance. The press portrayed him as having a 'cruel sardonic look'.
Apart from the leather apron, he wore rubber soled boots which meant that he could creep about silently. One can imagine that this must have disturbed the locals at the best of times, but with a killer on the loose, one can see why he put the fear of God into people!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Henry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That joke about leather aprons gave me real fits. I wasnt codding iether old boss , I ll give you the tip. Youll hear from me. Sor, catch me if you can Mr Lusk.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found the Pizer family listing for 1871 census. The address is 22 Mulberry Street and again John is not included. The list is as follows:
Head: Israel Pizer aged 58 born Poland - ? Traveller
Wife: Augusta Pizer aged 50 born Poland
Children:
Samuel G Pizer aged 10 born Stepney
Mother in law: Leah Cohen aged 76 born Poland

The occupation of Israel Pizer is not easy to read - it looks like "Town Traveller" - if so, I am not sure what this is (see below)

(Message edited by Chris on April 30, 2005)

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 1861 the family were listed living at 32 Gower's Walk, Goodmans Fields, Whitechapel. Ths list reads:
Head: Israel Pizer aged 48 born Poland - General dealer
Wife: Gusta (sic) Pizer aged 9 born Poland
Son:
Samuel Pizer aged 7 months born Whitechapel
Mother in Law: Leah Cohen aged 65 born Poland

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Town traveller=commercial traveller, salesman? Makes sense in connection with his being a general dealer in 1861, though it's just a suggestion.

Cheers,
Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on April 30, 2005)

Jason
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems to me that on the surface, this Pizer is the quintessential Ripper suspect. He has Jewish links, matches some witness reports, has a crimainal record , and moves about the place silently on foot for his work.He is a rough looking man who could fit the mould of a murderer.

I am not quite sure why there seems to be so little interest in him as a suspect in this case. The police questioned him, as with Barnett and Kosminski, and had nothing to hold him on.
I read a vague account once stating that on one night he had an alibi, as he was involved in helping firefighters put out a warehouse fire.
Has anyone herd this story before, and does this really preclude him from being a genuine Ripper suspect.As I have said, I think he does not get enough credit considering his profile.
Cheers - Jason Smith

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

Check this out.

../4920/16222.html"../../clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>
Of course this land is dangerous!
All of the animals are capably murderous.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This file of miscellaneous bits about Pizer may be of interest:
Pizer family census entries:

1861:
32 Gower's Walk, Goodmans Fields, Whitechapel
Head: Israel Pizer aged 48 born Poland - General dealer
Wife: Gusta (sic) Pizer aged 9 born Poland
Son:
Samuel Pizer aged 7 months born Whitechapel
Mother in Law: Leah Cohen aged 65 born Poland

1871:
22 Mulberry Street, Mile End
Head: Israel Pizer aged 58 born Poland - Town Traveller
Wife: Augusta Pizer aged 50 born Poland
Children:
Samuel G Pizer aged 10 born Stepney
Mother in law: Leah Cohen aged 76 born Poland

1881:
22 Mulberry Street, Mile End
Head: August Pizer (Widow) aged 61 born Germany
Children:
Jeanette aged 27
Gabriel (Male) aged 25
Barnett aged 21
All listed as born in Germany
Lodgers:
Jacob Joseph aged 30 born Joseph
Isaac Leechman aged 21born Germany
Occupation for all residents listed as "None"

1901:
10 Sutton Street, St George in the East
Head: Samuel Pizer aged 40 born Whitechapel - Cabinet maker
Children:
Leah aged 17 born Stepney
Israel aged 16 born Stepney - Clerk at boot factory
Bernard aged 15 born Stepney
Florence age 12 born Stepney
Mother: Augusta Pizer aged 43 born Germany

Augusta's death was registered as follows:
Name: Pizer, Augusta Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 88 Quarter: September Year: 1903 District: St George in the East County: London Surrey Volume: 1c Page: 215
The record below may refer to Pizer himself:
Name: Pizer, John Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 47 Quarter: September Year: 1897 District: Whitechapel County: London Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 205
If this age at death is correct, then he would have been born circa 1850. The only record I have so far found of a John Pizer born in this area is a full 10 years out. This reads as follows:
Name: PIZER, John Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1860 District: Whitechapel County: London Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 312

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

If I remember correctly, you found an interesting newspaper item about one Julius Lipman having been the "Leather Apron" suspect.

Did you ever manage to clarify his relationship (or lack of it) with Pizer?

Chris Phillips

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris P
The Lippman story was interesting but posed many problems
1) There was certainly no provable connection with Pizer
2) the mention of Lippman being known as Leather Apron was reported so long after the event (1900, the year of his death)
3) I have been able to find no connection between Lippman and London, let alone east London. He was mostly connected with the Birmingham area
Apart from that one article (1900 - News of the World) I have never found any other linking of Lippman with the nickname Leather Apron.

For any who may not have seen it, here is the short article, the only mention I have ever seen of this alleged suspect:
JULIUS LIPPMAN 1861 - 1900

Sources:

News of the World, October 21 1900

A JACK THE RIPPER SUSPECT DEAD
The death has just occurred in the East-End of London of Julius Lipman, nicknamed "Leather Apron", a cobbler, who in 1889 fell under suspicion of being "Jack the Ripper." He satisfied the police of his innocence, but the stigma never left him. His business gradually disappeared, and he went to another neighbourhood, where he took to drink. He died of neglect and semi-starvation.

His places of residence are given as County Durham and his place of birth is variously reported as Birmingham, Germany and Russia

(Message edited by Chris on July 16, 2005)

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 4:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Thanks for that information.

I wonder if you ever managed to track down a death registration for a Julius Lip(p)man, either in the East End of London or elsewhere, preceding the News of the World report. Is it possible the county Durham Lippman is a different man?

Chris Phillips

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 597
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a Barney Lipman. Definitely not the same person as he was alive in June 1901, he may or may not be related to Julius.
This is from 'The East London Advertiser' Saturday 8th June 1901:

Barney Lipman, of 17, Dorset Street. Said he was the manager.[8 White's Row]
The Coroner: Anything to do with 35, Dorset Street? - Witness: I am general manager for the lot.

He is listed as Barney Lepman in the 1891 census, so one of them is wrong. I couldn't find him in the 1901 census or 17 Dorset Street for that matter. He would also have been employed by William Crossingham.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4691
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob, I looked in some directories and found Lippmans in Hanbury St and Mitre St - but not, alas, a Julius.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the Lippman section from the cast of Thousands book which might be useful:
Julius Lippman

Before the ghastly nom de plume "Jack the Ripper" first appeared and became current, the killer of the East End was known in the press by various names - the Whitechapel Fiend, the Whitechapel murderer, the Monster and, most bizarrely of all, Leather Apron. The creature known as Leather Apron was a repulsive mixture of an anti Semitic caricature, a pantomime villain and a demon in human form.
He was repellent in appearance, trod noiselessly, threatened violence to women and always wore the signature garment that gave him his name. The leather apron was a very practical and hardwearing protective garment and must have been worn by those who followed a number of trades in Whitechapel at the time. However this article of clothing was most closely associated with those trades, which were concerned with the making and repairing of shoes.
The figure of Leather Apron as described in the press was certainly a mythical character, concocted from a potent mix of semi hysteria and the desire for notoriety. It was definitely a story, which grew in the telling. Leather Apron, or some figure very much like him, may have been current in the area as a sort of local bogeyman and been drummed into service as a custom made focus for fears and frissons about the killings. The one real person most closely identified with Leather Apron is John Pizer (q.v.) who denied he was known by the name but was taken into custody and, when it became apparent that he no connection with the killings, was allowed to appear in the inquest proceedings to give an account of himself to clear his name.
However, an account was found recently which gives the name of another man who was allegedly known as Leather Apron. This information was contained in an article in The News of the World dated 21st October 1900:

A JACK THE RIPPER SUSPECT DEAD

The death has just occurred in the East-End of London of Julius Lipman, nicknamed "Leather Apron", a cobbler, who in 1889 fell under suspicion of being "Jack the Ripper." He satisfied the police of his innocence, but the stigma never left him. His business gradually disappeared, and he went to another neighbourhood, where he took to drink. He died of neglect and semi-starvation.
That is the only information that extensive searches of newspaper archives have so far revealed.
His name was actually spelt Julius Lippman and he was born in 1861. Therefore at the time of the Whitechapel he would have been 27 years old and 39 years old at the time of his death. Lippman was born in Birmingham (or Germany) and first appears in the 1881 census:

Dwelling: 3 Richmond Street, Newcastle on Tyne All Saints, Northumberland

JULIUS LIPPMAN

Born 1861 in Birmingham, Warwickshire.
Slipper maker
Unmarried
Head of household: Mark Kinsler aged 49 born Poland - Slipper manufacturer
Wife:
Rebecca Kinsler aged 56 born Poland
Children:
Ezekiel aged 23 - Slipper maker
Abraham aged 17 - Slipper maker
Celia aged 15
Raphael aged 25
All children listed as born in Birmingham

Lippman's marriage was registered in March 1887 when he married Esther Berkson in Sunderland.

In the 1891 census Lippman was living in Sunderland and his birthplace is given as Germany:

Address: 11 High Street, Sunderland, Durham
Head:
Julius Lippman aged 29 born Germany (British subject) - Slipper maker
Wife:
Esther Lippman aged 27 born Russia (British subject)
Children:
Marcus aged 3 born Durham
Jacob aged 1 born Newcastle
Other:
Annie Bergson (Servant) aged 11 born Russia (British subject)
Nicholas Waite aged 19 (Boarder) born Durham - Labourer

And that is all the data has to offer about Lippman. There is no evidence whatever of any connection with London, let alone the East End. So how he came to die of neglect in 1900 in the East End, and why no surviving other press account so far seen makes any reference to him, remain currently unknown.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lippman's death as reported is puzzling. The account says that as of October 1900 his death had just occurred. However searches for the first three quarters of 1900 death records show no such event.

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Thank you for posting the extract, but I'm now more confused than ever.

Back in September 2003 you posted an entry from the 1901 census that is obviously the same Julius, Esther, Marcus and Jacob. In that case, this slipper maker can't be the Julius Lipman who died in the East End in 1900.

Isn't it possible that the East-End Julius is another one entirely, who hasn't yet been located in the 1891 census (and perhaps wasn't in England in 1881)?

The death registration (if there is one) would give us a clue, but FreeBMD seems to be having all kinds of problems, and while no death appears, I can't tell how complete the coverage for 1900 is.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

We posted nearly simulataneously.

Could the death have been swiftly registered early in the fourth quarter?

Otherwise, it's not possible the press report has been misdated, is it?

Chris Phillips

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
The only Lipman death listed in Quarter 4 of 1900 is a Barnett Lipman aged 33 who died in Mile End.
I have checked the original page from the News of the World including the date banner and it is definitely October 21st 1900. Here is the original article below:

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Thanks. It's odd, isn't it?

I assume "neglect and semi-starvation" would qualify him for a coroner's inquest (at least I'd hope so!). Maybe a small research project for someone with access to Colindale?

Chris Phillips

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This Barnett Lipman seems a more likely candidate in view of his presence in the East End and the time of his death than the Sunderland slipper maker who lived on after 1900!. This is what I have been able to find out about him:
Barnett Lipman
Death registered in last quarter of 1900 in Mile End

Born 1868

1871 Census:
2 George Court, Aldgate
Head: John Lipman aged 35 born St Botolph - General dealer
Wife: Rose Lipman aged 31 born St Botolph
Children:
Mark aged 12 - Cigar maker
Catharine aged 8
Lewis aged 7
Mary aged 67
Esther aged 4
Barnett aged 3
Morris aged 1
All children listed as born at St Botolph's except Esther, born at Whitechapel

1881:
No trace yet found

1891:
45 Princes Block, St Botolph, Aldgate
Head: Barnett Lipman aged 23 born London - Cigar Maker
Wife: Rosey Lipman aged 22 born London City
Children:
Fanny aged 5 born London City
Rachael aged 4 born Spitalfields
Angilo (Male) aged 2 born London City

1901 (just after Barnett's death)
22 Dunstan House, Mile End Old Town

Head: Rose Lipman aged 32 born London City - Widow
Children:
Fanny aged 15 - Cap packer
Rachel aged 13
Angle (Male) aged 13
Harry aged 8
Mikey aged 6
Hyam aged 4
Hannah aged 2
All children born in London City except Hannah, born in Stepney

Marriage:
The marriage of Barnett Lipman and Rosey Da Costa was registered in Quarter 2 of 1885 at Mile End

Lipman's wife to be is listed in 1881 as follows:
14 New Street, Aldgate
Head: Racel Da Costa (Widow) aged 36 born Aldgate - Seamstress
Children:
Hyman aged 15 born Whitechapel - Printer's apprentice
Hannah aged 13 born Whitechapel
Rose aged 12 born St George E
Esther aged 9 born Aldgate
Emmanuel aged 4 born Aldgate

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The main objection to identifying this Barnett Lipman with the Julius mentioned in the 1900 account is his trade. He is listed as a cigar maker, a trade which ran in his family, and not a boot maker.
Whether Barnett died in semi starvation and neglect cannot be known from the available evidence. But the fact that he died at the age of 33 might make the death certificate worth a look to see what is given as cause of death.
The full reference for the death entry is:
Lipman, Barnett
Aged 33
Mile End Volume 1c Page 279

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'The East London Observer' for 23rd October 1900 ran the exact same story as 'The News of the World' but minus the word "just", and I would take the year mentioned in the article as a typo.

Rob

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob

Thanks for that.

It had struck me that even 1889 in the other article doesn't quite fit the "Leather Apron" hysteria.

Chris Phillips

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

It sounds like a general 'news agency'story, but it does makes you wonder who reported his death to the 'press'as somebody knew him and his history.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4696
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 4:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few years into the next century there was a Judah Lipnowski who Anglicised his name to Julius Lipman.

Our man might conceivably be in the records somewhere, though goodness knows under what name.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.