Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

John Pizer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Piser, John » John Pizer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

neil k. macmillan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In perusing the casebooks and Evans and Skinner's "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion" John Pizer figures in the case as Leather Apron. He testified at the Chapman inquest and the plice were looking for him pereviously. Was he ever considered a suspect in the murders? I note he is not listed as a suspect on the boards. I assume he was cleared but was he ever in serious contention? kindst regards, Neil

Brian W. Schoeneman
Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 1:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neil,

He was in serious contention after the Nichol's murder, and the "Leather Apron" bit was played up in the media a lot after the Chapman murder. He had a pretty solid alibi for the Nichol's murder, as he had been staying at a lodging house and the proprietor vouched for him - remembering that it was the night of the big London dockfires. Swanson and Abberline both felt that he had been fully cleared of any suspicion.

My personal feeling was that as he was already under a lot of scrutiny after Nichol's killing that he fled his home in the East End, and went to stay with relatives in Mulberry Street. If he were already under such suspicion, and people were already familiar with him enough that he fled from the East End to keep away from them, I don't think he would've been too keen on venturing over to Hanbury Street to kill Annie Chapman.

Sugden has a good write up of this on the Complete History.

B

Neil K. MacMillan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian:
Thanks! that does clear it up. I was curious because I'm working on a novel about Jack the ripper and I would like to include Pizer in some manner. This gives me a bit of feed for the grist mill. Thanks again, Neil

lauren
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could some-one please help me about this subject. I have read that 'leather apron' was formally accused as being Julius Lipman, but also I have read that John Pizer is too. Were they both accused of being 'Leather Apron?'.
Ta.

some guy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

johm piser was my great great great uncle...

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lauren and all;
My understanding is that while certain police officails stated he was known as "leather Apron' John Pizer denied it as did his friends. ot sure about Lipman but Piser denied it in court and he was quickly released after being questioned by the auithorities. Neil

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lauren and all;
My understanding is that while certain police officails stated he was known as "leather Apron' John Pizer denied it as did his friends. ot sure about Lipman but Piser denied it in court and he was quickly released after being questioned by the authorities. Neil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.