Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

American Suspect Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » American Suspect « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been searching the archives of a Canadian paper (the Manitoba daily Free Press) and this had references to an American suspect who was arrested in early October 1888.
The references are as follows:

First the paper simply says,

Arrests for Connection With the Murders
London, Oct. 3.
Two supposed Americans have been arrested in connection with the Whitechapel murders.

Then, under the article entitled

Manitoba Daily Free Press (Winnipeg) October 5 1888

STILL NO EXPLANATION

London, Oct. 4.

this is included:

An American, who refused to give his name or any account of himself, but is said to have arrived from New York recently, was arrested at 11 o'clock to-night on suspicion of being the east end murderer. He is well-dressed, rather tall, slight build and clean shaven. He accosted a woman in Whitechapel and asked her to go with him, and threatened if she refused he would "rip her up." The woman screamed and the man rushed to a cab. The police gave chase, seized the man and took him to Leman police station where he exclaimed to the inspector in charge: "Are you the boss? I guess I'm in a pretty fix now." He was placed in a cell, but will probably be discharged to-day.

The last reference I can find is in an article titled and dated as follows:

Manitoba Daily Free Press (Winnipeg) October 6 1888

BLOODHOUNDS WILL BE USED
To track the Author of the Whitechapel Horrors - Hunting Up a Malay

London, Oct. 5.

which states

The American arrested on suspicion of being the Whitechapel murderer was released to-day. It was a case of delirium tremens, and as the prisoner gave a satisfactory account of his past conduct the police had to discharge him. The accused tendered his name and address to the police on the understanding that they were not to be known.

Does anyone have any info about who this man was?
Any help appreciated:-)
Chris S

Diana
Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like Tumblety to me.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the Pall Mall Gazette of Oct. 4:

ARRESTS FOR THE EAST END MURDERS.
_____

A SUSPICIOUS AMERICAN.

Three men are in custody at Leman-street, two of whom were arrested last evening, the other giving himself up as the murderer at a late hour last night. To all of these the police are at present inclined to attach no small importance; and although declining to give any details to the press, seem by their manner hopeful as to the arrests at least furnishing them with something to work upon. At about 9.40 last night a man was arrested in the vicinity of Ratcliffe Highway, by Sergeant Adams, 26 H. He had evidently jut come out of a public house, and was intoxicated. A number of women followed him, shouting that he was the Whitechapel murderer, one of them alleging that he had accosted her during the evening and threatened to "rip her up." A Boy giving his address as 362, Cable-street made a statement to Sergeant Adams to the effect that he was certain this man was the murderer, as he had seen him slink into his horse down there and change his clothes in the morning. On the strength of the boy's and teh woman's statements, Sergeant Adams arrested him and conveyed him to Leman-street station. He declined to give any name or address, and stated that he was a Scandinavian, and intended leaving for New York to-day. He is described as a tall man with a black beard, very muscular, and of a decidedly American appearance. He has an American accent, and is very respectably dressed. He wears a large gold chain and watch. The police decline to give any information as to his statements when examined, or as to whether he had anything suspicious in his possession. Another man, said to answer the description of the man who was seen in company with a woman prior to the Berner-street murder, was arrested in the Commercial-road last night. Being followed by a crowd of women and boys, he hurriedly called a cabman and asked to be driven to Finsbury-square, but a constable, thinking the case a suspicious one, had him arrested and taken to Leman-street station. The only importance which can be attached to this arrest is that the man somewhat answers the description of the Berner-street murderer. The man from Shadwell who gave himself up is a desperate-looking character, but the police do not attach any importance to his statements.

From the Times of London, Oct. 4th:

An American, who refuses to give his name or any account of himself, was arrested last night on suspicion of being the East-end murderer. He is well dressed, rather tall, of slight build, and clean shaven. He accosted a woman in Cable-street, asked for her to go with him, and threatened that if she refused he would "rip her up." The woman screamed, and the man rushed to a cab. The police gave chase, got upon the cab, seized the man, and took him to Leman-street Police-station, where he asked the inspector in charge, "Are you the boss?" The man is detained at the police-station as well as two others who were conveyed there during the evening.

From the Alderley and Wilmslow Advertiser
Friday, 5 October, 1888

THE EAST END MURDERS.
REPORTED CAPTURE OF “JACK THE RIPPER.”

Telegraphing this afternoon the Central News says:- The American who was arrested last night on suspicion of being concerned in the Whitechapel murder was released at ten o’clock this morning, inquiries having shown that his account of himself was entirely satisfactory. At the present moment there is no one in custody. The rumour of the actual murderer being caught has created intense excitement in London, but it is entirely unfounded.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

AP Wolf
Sergeant
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen
this is interesting.
I have always been very dubious of George Hutchinson's description of the man he claimed to have seen with Mary Jane Kelly on the night of her murder. My reason for not taking his description seriously was the simple fact that he stated that the suspect had a large gold watch and chain. My thinking at the time was that nobody in their right mind would go into that area of Whitechapel displaying such wealth unless they had a death wish.
So here is a gold watch and chain.
And a suspect.
Hutchinson also remarked that the man he observed with Kelly was carrying a bag made of 'American' cloth.
The man described in your reports is said to be 'very tall' though and Hutchinson maintains he had to stoop down to peer at the suspect.
Perhaps Hutchinson was eight feet tall?

Scott Nelson
Police Constable
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Eastern Post & City Chronicle of October 6th 1888 has a fuller version of this suspect's arrest. Apparently he first aroused suspicion coming out of the Three Nuns Hotel in Aldgate-High Street (where he assaulted the woman), then hailed a cab and made it as far as Cable Street before being apprehended and taken to the Leman Street Station. This assault took place on the very night (October 3rd) that the "Workman's Vigilance Committee" had first conviened at the Three Nuns Hotel. The suspect may have attended this very meeting [my speculation]. This story is available for viewing in the Casebook Press Reports.

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Stephen for that! If I find anything else on this mystery man I will post it
All the best
Chris

neilkmacmillan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know that Tumblety would be the person they're talking about. He lived for another fifteen years. Do people live that long when they have develeoped delirium tremens? I always assumed that was in the final stages of alcoholism. Also, Tumblety was of sound enough condition to escape first to France under an alias and then to America. Kindest regards, Neil

R.J. Palmer
Police Constable
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm certain this man's name was eventually released in the American press, though I can't locate it. The alleged "I'll rip her up" statement is a little suspect---it's the same threat that was said to be the favorite of 'Leather Apron' in the Star of 5 September.

Christopher T George
Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the article noted above by Scott Nelson--

The Eastern Post & City Chronicle
Saturday, 6 October 1888.

A FLEET STREET STORY.

On Wednesday night the wildest rumours were afloat, and the region east of Aldgate witnessed a series of scenes unprecedented, perhaps, in the history of London crime. Again and again reports came to hand that the murderer had been captured in this and that district.

Just after 10 o'clock a well-dressed man rushed out of the Three Nuns public-house in Aldgate followed by a woman, who, in a loud voice, declared to the loungers and passers-by that he had molested and threatened her. While he was thus being denounced the stranger hailed a cab, jumped in, and proceeded to drive off. It was the universal belief that the murderer was the occupant, and a hot pursuit was given. In a moment or two the cab was stopped, and a police-constable got in, secured the man, and directed the cabman to drive to the Leman Street Police-station. Here the prisoner was formally charged on suspicion.

The cab was followed to the station by the girl who had raised the outcry. She stated to the police in the most emphatic manner that the prisoner had first accosted and molested her in the street, and that when she refused to accede to his proposals he threatened physical violence. This occurred in the Whitechapel High Street. While the woman was making her statement the prisoner held down his head and looked at the ground, and he never once attempted a denial. When, however, a man stepped forward to corroborate the girl's story, he looked up angrily and denied the truth of the allegations with considerable emphasis. The woman was then asked if she desired to make any charge, but declined to do so, and shortly after left the station.

It was, however, deemed prudent by the officer in charge to detain the man pending inquiries. He is an athletically-built determined-looking fellow, apparently about 40 years of age, with a dark moustache and clearly-cut features. On his pockets being searched no weapons of any kind were found upon him. He gave his name, but refused to state his address. When removed to the cell his attitude became defiant. In the course of the conversation, which he carried on with a slightly American accent while pacing up and down his place of confinement, the frequency with which he used the word "Boss" was particularly noticed. The man is stated to have been slightly under the influence of drink when brought to the station. Throughout the night he maintained the attitude of defiance, and little or no information regarding his identity, and the nature of his movements, could be extracted from him. He still remains in custody.

Could the man described in article above be the same man who was reported to have been seen in the same pub, The Three Nuns, by Albert Bachert, on the night of the double murder? See below.

Illustrated Police News
6 October, 1888

A man named Albert Baskert [Bachert] has made the following statement: I was in the Three Nuns Hotel, Aldgate, on Saturday night when a man got into conversation with me. He asked me questions which now appear to me to have some bearing upon the recent murders. He wanted to know whether I knew what sort of loose women used the public bar at the house, when they usually left the street outside, and where they were in the habit of going. He asked further questions, and from his manner seemed up to no good purpose. He appeared to be a "shabby-genteel" sort of man, and was dressed in black clothes. He wore a black felt hat, and carried a black bag. We came out together at closing-time (twelve o'clock), and I left him outside Aldgate Railway Station.

Curiously, as Scott noted, the local Vigilance Committee had been meeting, apparently on Mondays, at the Three Nuns, and Bachert would later become a member of the vigilance committee, though not it seems until 1889.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.