Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 19, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » Cutbush in Camden Town » Archive through November 19, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5213
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, great work Stephen.

In addition to the Colocitt-Cutbush mystery, I feel the presence of Cutbushes in Buck's Row to be significant.

Mr Lambert at one time lived in Maidstone, which is Cutbush territory. I just have to find the link....

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dj

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, according to some family data, the Thomas Cutbush living in Bucks Row was also born in Kent ( Biddenden), and only christened in Whitechapel.
Not sure how accurate that is though.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5214
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry, Debra, we'll get there.

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But as I said Robert, I could only span it out for a week...and it's up!
I'll leave it to you to find the link now!
Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5226
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha! Just getting all the Cutbush genealogical details into some sort of order will take a week!

Mr Lambert is going to cost me several cups of tea...

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a week! that's optimistic, what do you put in your tea Robert!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5229
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spaghetti, Debra, for here is Mr Petrole in 1881 :

1 Manor Rd, Newington
Giuscomo Contini, 58, cromolithographic artist born Italy (Turin?)
Nina, wife, 52, lithographer born Italy
Costantino, son, unmarried, 35, cromolithographic artist born Italy
Joseph Petrole, lodger, unmarried, 36, lithographic artist born Italy

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5230
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is them - or these are they, as Tony Hancock would put it :

Deaths Dec 1881

Contini Giacomo 58 St Saviour
1d 81

Deaths Dec 1888

Contini Constantino 42 Croydon
2a 121

Deaths Jun 1903

Contini Nina 73 Kensington
1a 9[38]

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra & Robert
For some strange reason I keep going back to that will I found from Philadelphia, made between 1787 & 1790, where money is left to a Thomas Cutbush and his wife, Ann Cutbush (of London), perhaps showing an American connection long before TTC married his Amercan-born bride.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5232
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, yes it would be interesting to know just who this Thomas and Ann were.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2777
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
Here is the original will extract:

‘CUTBUSH, EDWARD. N. Liberties. City of Phila. Ship Carver.
April 18, 1790. June 10, 1790. U.530.
Children: Edward, Ann, William, James.
Friends: Thomas Cutbush and his Wife, Ann Cutbush [of London].
The Rev. Bishop White and his Rev. Lady.
The Honorable Robert Morris and his most Honorable Lady,
The Honorable Thomas Willing and his most Honorable Lady
[To give Council to his Orphan Children].
Exec. and Guardians: Edward Cutbush, Joseph Hanzey.
Wit: Thomas Scattergood, Plunt. F. Glentworth, Abraham Collings.’

This Edward Cutbush was very famous indeed and amongst his many later famous apprentices was William Rush the sculptor.
Worth remembering that Kate Hayne was born in Phila as well.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5233
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, AP. It's definitely something that needs looking into.

Interesting that Ann is mentioned in her own right - presumably the blood relationship was with Thomas, yet Edward mentions Ann too.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No worries, Robert
There are of course a few Thomas Cutbush’s married to a Ann but they don’t fit the time frame required, like this one:

‘Groom: CUTBUSH, THOMAS Bride: TAYLOR, ANN Date: 1836~FEB 25 Parish: ENFIELD County: MIDDLESEX, ENGLAND Comments: LICENSED’

It would be nice to find the couple that do.

Have you come across the appeal in The Times from 1944 for information on the surviving kin of an Edward Cutbush from Fulham who died in 1896?
That is unusual. Almost fifty years.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5234
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the 1944 item, AP, which I hadn't seen. I believe it relates to Lloyd v Cutbush. I have the pedigree here - it was one of the items Mark got from Kew - but neither I nor Debra have any idea what the case was about.

The 1836 marriage you mentioned, was Thomas Cutbush brother of Tom Flood Cutbush marrying Ann Taylor. From this union sprang TTC.

I do not know who the other Thomas Cutbush-Ann Taylor couple were - the ones who married in 1806. The marriage doesn't seem to come up on the LDS site any more, yet I doubt if the LDS made an error, because the marriage lines image still comes up on Ancestry, and it's quite different from the 1836 image.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5235
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are the images, both Enfield :

The only thing I can think of, is that the index seems to have duplications, one version with groom's name first, one with bride's - and that these two images are the same marriage, with the rather wobbly zero of "1806" actually being a '3' for "1836".

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2780
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be the last person to put the brakes on what Stephen has been working on here, but I know part of his thrust was that Thomas might well have used the nursery properties of his relations during 1888 and later as some kind of bolthole.
However I believe that the various nursery establishments owned by the Cutbush clan went belly-up in 1883, and this included the nurseries at Highgate, Finchley and the two located in Barnet.
Although William Cutbush ran the nurseries trading under his own name, I think the actual owner was James Cutbush who also had a nursery at Kennington.
Hope I’m wrong, as I quite like Stephen’s idea.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5237
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, I think Stephen's leaning towards Albert St (post of October 27th).

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Robert.
My mistake, and I apologise for that.
While I've got you here, Robert, I found this reference late last night which just confuses the hell out of me:

'Bone, Samuel, otherwise Thomas Cutbush of Wakefield-st-Gray's Inn rd. Plumber. Debtor's Prison.'

Does that mean to say that Samuel Bone and Thomas Cutbush are the one and same man?

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP
I did find Samuel Bone plumber in 1851 listed with a son in law named William Cutbush, no idea where Thomas comes into it, perhaps it was a business name that Samuel took on, via his son in law.
Debra

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Debra
the reference I found was for 1849, and Samuel Bone is present as an 'adjourned prisoner' in the Insolven Debtor's Court on September 18th same year.
No sign of Thomas Cutbush in court though... shame.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5238
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, Debra, I think that William was Bone's stepson rather than son-in-law. Bone then must have died, and William is living with his brother and mother (Bone's widow) in 1861.

I'll send you both the images.

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert! What did I say about my brain at the moment?..so maybe William's mother was married to Thomas Cutbush previously then?
Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5239
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Debra, I think you're probably right - Bone married the widow of Thomas Cutbush, plumber and painter. This was the TC who bequeathed his business to his wife to run, she then getting in debt and having to fight a court case against creditors. I think I sent you TC's will.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5257
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just thinking about the houses in Stephen's post of Oct 29th : I don't know how far back these go (spatially) but I reckon it must have been a bit cramped in 1881 - there were Thomas, Mum Kate, Aunt Clara, Granma and Grandad Hayne plus two lodgers.

Robert

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Robert, that had occurred to me (the size of the house in Albert Street and the number of people living there). The houses in my photo are on Braganza Street, then called New Street, and the houses in Albert Street may have been a bit larger and maybe included a basement. If they were due for demolition in 1898 they must have been quite old. I really do recomend that you view the 1862 map which I mentioned earlier which shows the house and the garden and mews behind in beautiful detail. Interestingly the mysterious American secret agent John S. Hayne who may have been related to Kate Cutbush and who helped to helped nail Cream lived at 11 Sharsted Road which is off Braganza Road. I do believe I shall have to 'cross the river' once more and venture into Sahrf Land'n again to check things out. London is London isn't it? No it isn't actually. Robert, I will check out Durand Gardens and Burnley Road. Stockwell here I come. Photos to follow.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5265
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

Found the map, and it's a good one.

Looking forward to the photos - please don't forget Aldebert Terrace.

Now, as Neddie Seagoon would say, what what what what what????? John S Hayne of Sharsted Rd was Kate's brother - but how do you know he was involved in the Cream business?

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Looks like we'll have to wait a while for an answer to that question!
Didn't it come out before that Kate's brother John S. Hayne was a land surveyor of some sort? and the John Hayne connected to the Cream capture was an ex policeman who lived above the photographers studio that cream frequented?
Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5267
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

This came up right at the start of the Cutbush in 1881 census thread ../4922/8977.html"#DEDDCE">

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
That's the reason I was always interested in the Thomas Hayne in the Met, I thought there could have been an ' uncle' mix up too as he doesn't actually name Charles Cutbush does he?.. or does he???.
Never did find anything else on Thomas, but he didn't seem to be one of Kates clan.
It would be very intriguing if this is the case with John S. Hayne...wonder how long we will have to wait, some unregistered posts take a week!!!
Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5268
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

Sir M calls the uncle the late Supt Executive, which sounds like CHC. No, I was never able to track down Supt Hayne. I thought he might be with the Kent police.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, nice one, Stephen.
Another cat is flung into the pigeons!

Debra, Robert
I did find a Super Hayne of the Kent police, didn't I?
It was in connection with a railway accident.
Although now fuddled, I thought I had found an Inspector Hayne in either the Met. or City force?

As I think you all know I have always felt that there is a much stronger American connection to the Cutbush affair than previously supposed... perhaps this could be a part of that connection?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5269
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, the Kent link was you, was it, AP? Well, this US thing is worth checking out. I can't afford the US section of Ancestry, though. Maybe I can get a free trial or something.

Robert

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Robert

Here's our plan of attack.

Bluebottle: That's not a tack, it's a nail.

Neddie Seagoon: No, it's a tack!

We're not here to steal Tower Bridge and replace it with a life-size photo just yet but I would ask you, how many AMERICANS with that first name and that last name would you think were living in London around 1890? And living just around the corner from a person accused of being Jack the Ripper in a big time series of newspaper articles and being his uncle as well? I think I may check out 55 Denmark Hill in the wilds of south London where our Kate was most cruelly robbed and abused in 1910. Photos to follow in the fullness of 'non registered' time.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5271
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

I can think of very few Americans with first name Tower and last name Bridge.

Looking forward to the pics. If it will take roughly six days, or exactly a week, then post them roughly - it's quicker.

Robert

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One question I have about Kate's brother John S Hayne being the American detective is could he strictly be classed as American? I know he and Kate were both born there but they have English parents, and the family were back living in England before John was 6 years old. His wife was English and his children were all born in England too, he just seems to have had no further links with the country at all...it just doesn't seem to fit the American detective picture of Haynes.

Also the Haynes involved with the capture of Cream lodged with the photographer Armstead and his wife in Westminster Bridge Road ( could be all part of his double agent secret life I suppose!)

The Sleepers who Cream lodged with in 1891 lived at 103 Lambeth Palace Road.
Debra
Just seen that Kates brother was living in Holborn in 1891, from Roberts census post.

(Message edited by dj on November 10, 2005)

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
I do think we have been here before, and at that time you gave me a lesson that a 'Hayne' is not always a 'Haynes'.
I was not too bothered as I had found dozens of cases where sometimes a Hayne could be a Haynes.
But in this Lambeth Poisoning Case we are dealing with a John Haynes, rather than a John Hayne.
Again I'm not to disturbed by that, but I thought I should just remind you.
So is he Hayne or Haynes or doesn't it matter?

Did we ever get a house number for Dr Brooks of Westminster-bridge-road?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra
the superintendent Hayne that I found was a Thomas, however it is unclear from the single report that I found, exactly which police force he served.
'Fatal Collision at Sitting Bourne.'
September 4. 1878.

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP
There definitely were two Haynes mentioned in the Times, one connected to Kent and one to the Met or city.
I have followed a London policeman named Thomas Haynes through each census but he was only at the rank of inspector I think he was at Southwark, but I knew i had seen a superintendent Thomas hayne before, he confused us last time about which force he was attached to.

Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5274
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, I can't say I'm too confident that Kate's brother was a detective.

Dr Brooks was at 137.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2806
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra
I can’t find a single ‘Hayne’ in the Met for the LVP, but loads of ‘Haynes’.
Here are the two Thomas Haynes, but really of no interest as they both remained as PC’s:

09/04/1883 67703 THOMAS HAYNES PC JOINED More Info
14/02/1885 67703 THOMAS HAYNES PC R To A 16/02/1885 More Info
14/09/1889 67703 THOMAS HAYNES PC 306 A To 119 F 16/09/1889 More Info 04/10/1895 67703 HAYNES PC 119 F DISCIPLINARY More Info
28/12/1899 67703 HAYNES PC 119 F DISCIPLINARY More Info
20/04/1908 67703 HAYNES PC 119 F PENSIONED 19/04/1908 More Info

49401 HAYNES JOINED More Info
28/07/1886 49401 THOMAS HAYNES PC 55nr N To 39jr J 02/08/1886 More Info 06/03/1893 49401 HAYNES PC 39jr J PENSIONED 05/03/1892 More Info

These are the more senior ‘Haynes’ in the Met:

31/07/1882 66960 WALTER F HAYNES PC JOINED More Info
12/08/1887 66960 HAYNES PC 304 N To PS 12/08/1887 More Info
15/09/1888 66960 HAYNES PS 1 N To Clerk PS 11/07/1888 More Info
13/03/1891 66960 HAYNES Clerk PS 1 N DISCIPLINARY More Info
23/09/1907 66960 HAYNES PS 63 N PENSIONED 22/09/1907

02/02/1880 64246 JAMES E HAYNES JOINED More Info
11/07/1884 64246 JAMES E HAYNES PC 2nd To X 16/07/1884 More Info
02/02/1888 64246 JAMESPC HAYNES 116 X To PS W 03/02/1888 More Info 27/10/1888 64246 HAYNES PS 27 W To 2wr W 25/10/1888 More Info
12/12/1892 64246 JAMES HAYNES PS 2wr W To 46 X 13/12/1892 More Info 11/10/1894 64246 JAMES HAYNES SPS 46 X To Insp V 12/10/1894 More Info 12/11/1895 64246 JAMES HAYNES Insp V To 1st 13/11/1895 More Info
04/05/1904 64246 JAMES HAYNES SDI 1st To Ch Insp H 05/05/1904 More Info 26/07/1909 64246 JAMES HAYNES Ch.Insp. 1st PENSIONED 25/07/1909 More Info

43689 HAYNES JOINED More Info
01/10/1890 43689 HAYNES Insp E PENSIONED 27/09/1890 More Info

Walter (warrant number 66960) looks interesting as it appears that he may have joined uncle Charles at the Executive Department at Scotland Yard in 1888 and was then disciplined in 1891.

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP
I'll dig the Thomas Hayne(s) I found out, he was definitely above PC rank.
I don't see the difference between using Hayne or Haynes myself, I use both spellings for the same people, just checking the boards I noticed I have a tendency to calling Kate and her family HAYNE but her son Thomas I call Thomas HAYNES Cutbush, among other things!
which is right for Thomas?
Debra

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just like you Debra, I don't have a problem with the Hayne Haynes thing, or even 'Haines' come to that. I have seen the same variations used in the same cases so many times now.
However, Robert has pulled me up on this a couple of times... no disrespect to Robert intended here for if he didn't pull me up every so often I'd spend my entire life in the gully.
But in a way, I think Robert to be right somehow, as it is so easy to be persuaded by data that fits but when we remove the 's' that data no longer exists.
I tried this out when I was bored.
Out of one hundred reports concerning a lawyer called John Haynes from the Westminster court of the LVP not one names him as John Hayne.
Or was it the other way around?
Damn that 's'!

Dig the Thomas Hayne out by all means, Debra, but he must have been Kent police and not Met.

Meanwhile, here is the police service history of Patrick McIntyre who was supposedly a good friend of John Haynes and attempted to find him a job at Scotland Yard:

28/01/1878 62195 PATRICK McINTYRE PC L JOINED More Info
09/04/1884 62195 PATRICK McINTYRE PC 224 L To CID D 10/04/1884 More Info 30/06/1886 62195 PATRICK McINTYRE PC CID D To PS(3) C 01/07/1886 More Info 09/02/1887 62195 PATRICK McINTYRE PS CID C To PS(2) 03/02/1887 More Info 05/03/1887 62195 PATRICK McINTYRE PS CID C To A 07/03/1887 More Info 17/03/1887 62195 McINTYRE PS CID CO(CIDb) To PS(1) 16/03/1887 More Info 14/09/1893 62195 PATRICK McINTYRE PS CID CO(CID) To PC 690 Y (DISCIPLINARY) 15/09/1893 More Info
09/02/1903 62195 PATRICK McINTYRE PC Y PENSIONED More Info

Again it looks to me as if he was part of the Executive Office at Scotland Yard at the same time as uncle Charles.
And of course disciplined for his pleasure.
I haven’t had the time to read the codes yet, but it does look like he was reduced in rank in 1893.
I’ll check that.
Surely he should have been promoted in that year?

Debra J. Arif
Inspector

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found it , he was Thomas Haynes with the s and in 1891 was a police inspector ( this is why I left it at that) living in Camberwell, Peckham, I can't find the rest of the notes but I seem to remember I found he was part of Southwark division.
BTY I really do not think John Haynes the American detective was Kates brother either....I really don't know where to stick these s's now!
I am just reading about McIntyre, wonder what he did wrong.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 2:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Debra.
Am eating hat now.

It does seem strange that McIntyre should be in trouble in the year when he should have been basking in glory.
Mind you a lot of good cops seem to have run foul of something between 1891 & 1894.

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

Guess where I've been? And how long have these bloody handprints been there? Where's a DNA expert when you need one? Enough questions. I'm a bit busy tonight so pictures of houses (and shop) will follow shortly. A nice joke on your last post to me, by the way.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5290
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

Great heavens! Hands of the Ripper. Well, the police must have been flatfeet to have missed that clue.

Maybe Thomas put those prints there in an attempt to implicate the simple-minded Edwin.

Robert

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is 43 Aldebert terrace, home of John Edwin Collicott. It's the one with the black door.

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is 11 Sharsted Gardens in Kennington just around the corner from Thomas's house on Albert Street. Maybe the builders will find secret police papers from the LVP while doing that loft conversion.

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is 43 Aldebert Terrace, probably the home of John Edwin Collicott in the LVP.

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 3:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is 3 Burnley Road, Stockwell, the home of Charles Cutbush. It's the house with the 'Sold' sign outside.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.