Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Bull. William Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Bull. William « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

William Bull:

Morning Advertiser - 8 October 1888

At the Guildhall police court yesterday, before Mr. Alderman Stone, William Bull, 27, describing himself as a medical student, of 6 Stannard road, Dalston, was charged, on remand, on his own confession, with having murdered the woman who was found dead in Mitre square, Aldgate, on the morning of Sunday last. The facts of the case, which have already been reported, showed that the prisoner on Tuesday evening entered the charge room at Bishopsgate police station and made a statement, which Inspectror Izzard, after cautioning him, wrote down. It was to the effect that on the night or morning of the murder he met the woman in Aldgate, and went up a dark street with her. He gave her half a crown, which another man took away from her. He had, he said, committed the murder, and could not put up with the suspense any longer. Inquiries had been made, and it was ascertained that the prisoner was very well connected, but he was not a medical student. Yesterday Inspector Izzard said that the inquiries had led to the most satisfactory conclusion. The defendant bore a most irreproachable character, and he had been in his present employ for a number of years. Alderman Stone said that he was very sorry he was unable to punish the prisoner in some way, as it was a most stupid and dangerous thing, now that these scares were about, for people to make such foolish statements. He thought prisoner ought to be thoroughly ashamed of himself for his conduct. He would be discharged.

This character has long interested me in that his alleged confession was not apparently retracted and no substantive alibi declared by the police. The result of Izzard's inquries which led to Bull's exoneration were, as reported, based on the facts that the prisoner was of "irreproachable" character and in steady employment. The other information we are given is that he was well connected. Izzard says he was not a medical student. This led me to wonder if this William Bull had been a medical student earlier in his life but was no longer so at the time of the murders. This would agree with Izzard's assertion but also not negate the possibility of a medical background.

My searches have produced only one person who fits this set of cirumstances and is within the age range of the William Bull who confessed to Eddowes' murder. William Charles Bull was born in 1858 in Bromborough, Cheshire. He was "well connected" in that he came from a comfortable and prosperous background. His father, James Bull, was an oil merchant. William attended the Hereford Cathedral School, a public school which still exists to this day.
(Further information about the school and its history can be found at http://www.cathedralschool.hereford.sch.uk/site/index.html)
The school was also attended by William's brother, Edwin Justin, who was five years older. At the time of William's attendance at the school, the headmaster was Eric John Rudd. After leaving school, Bull attended University and is included in the list of Cambridge Alumni which gives a most useful resume of his life and reads as follows:
"William Charles Bull
College: Caius
Entered: Michaelmas Term 1877
Admitted to Caius College, 1 October, 1877.
The son of James Goodman Bull, merchant, of Bromborough, Cheshire. Born there on 1 August 1858.
Matriculated Michaelmas Term 1877.
Bachelor of Arts 1881
M.A. and M.B. 1886
At St George's Hospital, London, M.R.C.S., 1882
F.R.C.S., 1884
In practice in London. Aural surgeon and Lectturer at St. George's Hospital 1892-1914
Died 24 February 1944 aged 75 years.
Obituary in The Times of 27 February 1933."

The following are the census appearances of Bull:
1871:
Cathedral Close, St Johns, Herefordshire
Boarder:
William Charles Bull aged 12 born Bromborough, Cheshire
Also listed, probably his brother:
Edwin Justin Bull aged 15 born Bromborough, Cheshire
This institution was the Cathedral School and ther headmaster was:
Eric John Rudd aged 39 born East Indies

Bull's family in 1871:
Allports, Bromborough, Cheshire
Head: James G Bull - Widower - aged 55 born Pitsford, Northampton - Oil merchant
Sister: Lucy Bull aged 50 born Pitsford, Northampton
Children:
Annie M aged 14
James G aged 10
Both children born in Bromoborough

1881:
154 Buckingham Palace Road, London
Lodger: William C Bull aged 22 born Bromborough, Cheshire - B.A. Cantab, Student of medicine.
This was a lodging house run by William Greenhouse and his family.

1891:
35 Clarges Street, St George Hanover Square, London
Head: James K Fowler aged 39 born Woburn, Bedford - Physician
Lodgers:
William C Bull aged 31 born Bromoborough, Cheshire - Surgeon
Edward Craftmeier aged 39 born Danzig, Germany - Director

1901:
5 Clarges Street, St George Hanover Square, London
Head: William C Bull aged 42 born Bromborough, Cheshire
Daughter: Alice M Bull aged 4 born St George's London
Servants:
Louisa Pearson aged 32 born Chelmsford - Cook
Florence Steward aged 27 born Witham, Hitchin, Herts - Parlourmaid
Laura Simons aged 27 born Brandon, Norfolk - Housemaid
Mary Ward aged 35 born Kidderminster - Nurse

Bull would certainly count as "well connected" and, according to the mores of the time, of "irreproachable character." None of this, of course, constitutes proof, but if, as I suspect, William Charles Bull of Bromborough and William Bull who confessed to the Eddowes' murder are one and the same, his motive for doing so is now forever lost.

(Message edited by Chris on February 14, 2005)

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 738
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

You've probably already seen this account of Bull's initial appearance before Stone on 3 Oct, but just in case you haven't. . . I don't know whether it's of interest to you, but Bull claimed to be a student at London Hospital.

Daily News, 4 Oct 1888

William Bull, 27, describing himself as a medical student, of Stannard-road, Dalston, was charged before Mr. Alderman Stone, at the Guildhall Police-court, yesterday, on his own confession, with committing the murder in Mitre-square, Aldgate, on Sunday morning last. The prisoner appeared to be recovering from the effects of intoxication.—Inspector George Izzard, of the City Police, deposed: Last night, at twenty minutes to eleven o’clock, the prisoner came into the charge-room of the Bishopsgate Police-station, and made a statement. After cautioning him two or three times, I wrote down his statement, which I now produce, and with your worship’s permission will read it.—Mr. Alderman Stone desired it to be read, and witness read as follows:—“My name is William Bull. I reside at 6, Stannard-road, Dalston, and am a medical student at the London Hospital. I wish to give myself up for the murder in Aldgate on Saturday night last or Sunday morning. About two o’clock, I think, I met the woman in Aldgate. I went with her up a narrow street. I promised to give her half-a-crown, which I did. While walking along together there was a second man, who came up and took the half-crown from her. I cannot endure this any longer. My poor head.” Prisoner here put his hand to his head on the front of the desk, and cried, or pretended to cry, “I shall go mad. I have done it, and I must put up with it.” I asked him what he had done with his clothing that he was wearing on the night of the murder and he said, “If you wish to know, they are in the Lea, and the knife I threw away.” At this point he declined to say anything more. He was drunk. Part of his statement was heard by Major H. Smith. Inquiries were made by Sergeant Miles, and he was told that no such person was known at the London Hospital, and no such name. His father is a most respectable man, and says that his son was at home on Saturday night.—Mr. Alderman Stone: Do you ask any questions, Bull? Prisoner: No. When I stated what I did I was mad drunk. I could not do it.—Inspector Izzard: I should like a few days’ remand to make inquiries, your worship.—The Alderman: Very well. I shall remand him.—Prisoner: Can I have bail?—The Alderman: No; I shall not allow bail.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4092
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris and Dave

Don't know if this is the same one, but a William Charles Bull announced as having gained the degree of Bachelor of Medicine, Gonville and Caius, Oct 30th 1885.

I couldn't find an obit for 27th Feb 1933, just a brief announcement.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Likewise, don't know if this is the same person, but the Times 24 March 1933:

Mr. William Charles Bull, F.R.C.S., of Clarges Street, W., who died on February 24, aged 74 years, left estate of the gross value of 168,328 pounds and net personalty 167,293 pounds. He left:--

100 pounds to the Servants' Cricket Club and General Benefit Fund of the Oxford and Cambridge Club.

Robert, Bull must have been some guy--my own personality is only worth a couple of dollars. :-)

Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on February 14, 2005)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4094
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, it looks like he lived at the same address for decades.

I don't know what my personality's worth, but I fear it's somewhat gross.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Guys
many many thanks for the further info. The Bachelor of Medicine announcement and the obit both relate to the same man and are immensely useful.
That is a huge amount that he left in his estate. I don't know what it would be worth in modern terms but is certainly impressive.
The other press report is also extremely useful and I am continuing searches about this individual.
Interesting that in the both the press reports he was actaully charged with one of the Whitechapel murders, i.e. that of Eddowes. I am trying to establish exactly how many formal murder charges arose regarding the five canonical victims. This is the first I have seen.
Thanks again
Chris

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and Robert,

The Times 21 April 1882:

Royal College of Surgeons:--The following gentlemen, having undergone the necessary examinations for the diploma, were admitted members of the College at a meeting of the Court of Examiners of the 18th inst., viz.:--(a list of names) William Charles Bull, B.A. Cantab., Bromborough, Cheshire was admitted to the Royal College of Surgeons 18 April.

Also this:

Times {London}
22 Jan 1884

FATAL REVOLVER ACCIDENT.—Mr. James G. Bull, son of Mr. J. Goodman Bull, oil merchant, who resides at Bromborough, Cheshire, died on Sunday night from the effects of a wound received through handling a revolver. The deceased, about 23 years of age, was firing off an old four-chambered revolver in the grounds of his father’s house, and found that one chamber would not act. When retiring to bed at 11 o’clock at night, he took the weapon to his room and endeavoured to draw the charge. It suddenly exploded, and the shot entered his left side, fracturing two ribs and passing through the body till it lodged somewhere beneath the right shoulder. Dr. Main was sent for immediately, but the injuries terminated fatally.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4100
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good stuff, Dave. Here is William later on :

MARCH 27th 1903

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, thanks for this great info - the revolver accident especially caught my eye.
Great going guys
Chris

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Are we barking up the wrong tree in thinking that Dr. William Charles Bull, B.A. Cantab., born in 1869 in Bromborough, Cheshire, could have been the same "William Bull, 27, describing himself as a medical student, of 6 Stannard road, Dalston, [who] was charged, on remand, on his own confession, with having murdered the woman who was found dead in Mitre square, Aldgate, on the morning of Sunday last." (Morning Advertiser - 8 October 1888).

Dr. Bull would have been age 29 years in 1888, wouldn't he, not 27, if the information in the different censuses is correct.

While I am not an expert on Victorian physician education, it also appears to me that Dr. William C. Bull would probably have advanced too far in his medical career to have still described himself in 1888 as a "medical student" when we consider that he was already a fellow of the Royal College Surgeons (1882) and had achieved the degree of Bachelor of Medicine (1884).

My thought is that it was not Cheshire-born Dr. William Charles Bull who was the person who made the hoax confession described in the Morning Advertiser of 8 October 1888. Possibly the drunken fellow in 1888 claimed to be a medical student, just as he claimed to be the murderer, because such an assertion fit with one of the popular theories of the case, that the killer was a medical man.

From my look through the UK Census on Ancestry.com during the past few hours, it looks to me as if there are plenty of other William Bulls in the UK census, general laborers, hospital patients, etc., who could have been the man who falsely confessed in 1888 but I somehow doubt it was the eminent doctor who was the aural (hearing) surgeon. Good luck looking, Chris and everyone!!! laugh

Best regards

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 710
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To echo Chris George's note of caution - I was looking at directories today, and briefly checked up on William Bull.

A William Bull certainly appears at 6 Stannard Road, Dalston, in the Kelly's Suburban Directories for 1888 and 1892, and is therefore likely to be at that address in the 1891 census - not at 35 Clarges Street, St George Hanover Square.

Granted that we can't be absolutely sure he's the man who made a confession, but if not he's almost certainly a close relative, and his age and place of birth would give a good indication of the real identity of the "confessor".

Chris Phillips

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris G and Chris P
I should explain, which perhaps I did not do sufficiently in my original post, that my original premise was to wonder if Bull had not been lying about being, or having been, a medical student, was there a William Bull who might have fitted the bill. The William Charles Bull I speculated about was the nearest fit, but I did point out there was absolutely no proof to link him with the Bull who confessed to the Eddowes murder but only a suspicion on my part.

As it turns out, that suspicion on my part was completely unfounded and I must apologise to William Charles for any maligning I may have engendered! The William Bull who confessed was not, as far as I can trace, of any medical connection but is listed, in the one unequivocal listing I have found for him in the 1881 census, listed as a "collar warehouseman". He was the son of William Bull, a commercial clerk, and Louisa Bull. His age is given in the 1881 census as 19, which would fit with court account of 1888 as him being 27, bearing in mind the census was in April and the court appearance was in October. The family listing for 1881 is:
1881:
6 Stannard Road, London
Head: William T H Bull aged 46 born Middlesex - Commercial clerk
Wife: Louisa Bull aged 40 born Middlesex
Children:
William aged 19 born Middlesex - Collar warehouseman
Boarders:
Robert W Grace aged 19 born Wakefield - Commercial clerk (Tea)
Charles W Grace W Grace aged 16 born Wakefield - Student
James G Weight aged 21 born Islington - Solicitor's Clerk

In 1901 his aged father was still living at Stannard Road, but his wife's name is given as Jane L instead of Louisa. However, the ages of the wife fit exactly - she was 40 in 1881 and 60 in 1901. I suspect that the L initial means that her full name was Jane Louisa and we are not looking at two different women. The listing for 1901 is as follows:
1901:
6 Stannard Road, Hackney, London
Head: William Bull aged 66 born Westminster - Retired clerk
Wife: Jane L Bull aged 60 born Islington
Boarders:
Fouracre Harley aged 26 born Gloucester (British) - Gas engine maker
Robert Turmean aged 24 born Bethnal Green - Upholsterer

I have yet to find a definite sighting of the younger William in 1901 and have not yet found any of the family in 1871 or 1891 but I will be pursuing them with some vigour.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.
All the best
Chris

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris P. and Chris S.

Yes, misunderstanding nicely cleared up. Although this does bring up a nice adage -- be careful which Bull you believe. grin

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some progress to report.
The Bull family of 6 Stannard Road were listed in the index for the 1891 census under the surname of Smith! Which did not help, but found them in the end by a bit of devious logic. The Listing for 1891 is as follows:
1891:
6 Stannard Road, Hackney, London
Head: William Bull aged 56 born St James W, London - Clerk
Wife: June (sic) L Bull aged 50 born Islington
Son: William J T Bull (middle initials may be I T) aged 29 born Mildmay Park, London - Clerk
Boarder:
John C Brett aged 33 born Hackney - Accountant

Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The family in 1871 were at a different address, but still in Hackney:

1871:
2 Albion Grove, Hackney, London
Head: William Bull aged 35 born London - General merchant clerk
Wife: Jane L Bull aged 30 born Islington
Son: William Bull aged 9 born Dalston, London
Boarder:
William E Barlow aged 35 born Hambledon, Surrey - Accountant's clerk

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris S

Pleased to see you got the right bull by the horns.

Could I ask a slightly off-topic question about censuses?

Does anyone know if there's any way of finding a specific address in the online version of the 1881 census?

The set-up allows you to step forward or backward, household by household. If you open one of these links in a new window you can expose the URL, and by editing that directly you can step forward or backward by any number of households.

Even so, it's a haphazard business using this method to look for a particular street.

If anyone has any further tips I'd be grateful.

Chris Phillips

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris P
It is not easy and yes, is haphazard. The way I track down some - and this was how I found Bull in 1891, when they were listed in the index as Smith - is to look at their neighbours in a known entry and hope some of them have stayed at the same address for at least 10 years!
I had the 1881 entry for Bull at Stannard Road so just went through the heads of household on either side of them until I found one who was still there in 1891. Takes time and is clumsy but sometimes works.
Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris P
If you are looking for a Spitalfields address, I have extracted for my own use an Excel database of 1881 census that, to date, has 21308 entries. This runs currently from 2a Whites Row to Buttress Street. If this would be of any use let me know and I will forward it to you
Chris

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At a tangent from the main discussion, I note in the early posts reference to Bull having given "Eddowes" half a crown, which was then taken from her by another man.

I recognise the episode may have been made up, but assuming that the social details had some basis, was this a way that pimps retrieved the takings of their girls? Could this be a reason why none of the Ripper victims were in possession of money when their bodies were found?

Any thoughts or views?

Sorry to distract - the rest of the discussion is rivetting.

Phil

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4117
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil, only that half a crown seems very steep - even if Kate threw in a fire engine impression!

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree Robert. When we remember the price of a bed was fourpence and this was often what the street girls of Eddowes class charged for a "quickie" then half a crown (i.e. two shillings and sixpence or thirty pence in old money) would have been a large amount indeed.
Chris

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It wasn't the amount of money that interested me - probably reflects what a "toff" might expect to pay for a "West End" whore. Rather, it was the casual way in which another man is said to have releived her of it.

Phil

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that I may have located Bull in the 1901 census. His age, for once in the census returns, is consistent across the three sightings of him to date and would have placed his age in 1901 as 39. He is listed in 1891 as a clerk and had been living in the Hackney area. The following individual may be the individual we are looking for in 1901:

23 Ardleigh Road, Hackney, London
Head: William Bull aged 39 born Hackney - Clerk Lace Trade
Wife: Gertrude Bull aged 37 born Islington

If this is "our" William Bull it will be seen that he married between 1891 and 1901. I have located two marriaged that may refer to this and have not yet verified which is his.

William Henry C W Bull and Gertrude Dorothy Green at Islington (Volume 1b Page 472)

Another possibility is 2nd quarter of 1894:
William Bull married Alice Gertrude Miles at Islington (Volume 1b Page 339)

Becuase of the multiples initials of the first William Bull, which do not match any verified entry we have, my inclination would be to go for the second marraieg but that is not proven at this stage.

Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.