Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through July 13, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Time Traveling What if » Archive through July 13, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it would be fun to think up how we would be catch the Ripper if we went back to 1888, having all the information we have now about all the murders. If you had a team go back with you, how would you catch the Ripper? Which victim would you choose to set your trap to catch him? Personally, I'd take my team and hide them in St. James Passage and wait for Eddowes and the Ripper to show up in Mitre Square, then rush him right before he does her in. I'd have half my team head straight for Church Passage and the other half for the entrance to the square to cut off his escape routes, then close in on him. Of course, I'd try to do this as quietly as possible and take Jack to the nearest police station.

Andrew Spallek
Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, you would have allowed four other women to have been murdered first. Why not hide out at George Yard on 7 August and abduct Tabram's killer? Then you could hang around for three weeks and show up again at Bucks Row on 31 August. If someone attacked Nichols you would have proved that Tabram was not a Ripper victim after all. If Polly went unmolested with Tabram's attacker in jail you would have proved Tabram to be a Ripper victim.

If only....

Andy

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric, Andy

Just imagine it : you travel back in time to one of the murder sites, and arrive just in time to catch Jack in the act. When you apprehend him, he explains that he has travelled back in time to discover the Ripper's identity, but that as soon as he arrived he felt a strange urge to kill...

Robert

Andrew Spallek
Sergeant

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Sounds like the start of a good screenplay!

Andy

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy

I should think all the circular time loop stuff has been done to death in the last few years, hasn't it? Going further back, there was a short story by Alfred Noyes about circles within circles etc, set on the railway.

The trick is to go back to 1888 and THEN give them all that stuff. Even George Clapp would have sat up!

Robert

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re this thread the scary thing is that there was a recent UK documentary about an American professor called Mallett (can't remember the first name) who is about to embark on building the first time machine (and no, this wasn't shown on April 1st!)
Ho did emphasise that at this early stage he will be able to send back in time only sub atomic particles but these could be used to encode information.
It involved a closed loop of incredibly powerful laser light but don't ask me to explain the science of it - mainly because most of it went way over my head!
Chris S

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I don't understand the science of it, but time travel throws up logical paradoxes, and then we get into parallel universes etc etc.

Of course,anyone who's determined to travel back in time need only look at the TV schedules!

Robert

John Hacker
Sergeant
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The time traveling premise was used in the Time Scout series by Robert Asprin and Linda Evans. The 3rd and 4th books of the series deal with JtR extensively. (Ripping Time, and The House that Jack Built)

An expedition is sent back and sets up cameras to observe the killings as they occur. The proposed solution is certainly unique, but the books are great fun.

Regards,

John

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
I have rewatched the techy part of the documentary so here goes. Previous theories about possible mechanisms for time travel were based on exceeding the speed of light, which Einstein said was impossible.
Recent research about the areas immediately around black holes has postulated that the gravitational forces are so huge that not only light but also space/time can be trapped and moved around (it is called "frame dragging".)
Mallett's proposal is that by using hugely powerful lasers, he can simulate this effect and by concentrating this light into a closed loop, he will be creating a space time loop as well as a laser loop. The theory is that any particle in this closed loop can be projected into any part of the loop - i.e. into the future or the past.
My head hurts!
Chris

Andrew Spallek
Sergeant

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should think it logically impossible to travel to the "future" as by definition it hasn't occurred yet! I can look at a photograph of a past event (a sort-of time machine) but how can I look at a photograph of a future event? [Although I do remember a Twilight Zone episode...] Unless, of course, we are all living in someone else's "past"!

My head hurts, too.

Andy

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I have no problem with the idea of travelling into the future - you know, you go off in a spaceship and come back a few years later to find everyone you knew is long dead.

It's travelling into the past that gets me. Suppose you go back and kill your grandad before he can meet your grandma. What then?

That's three heads that hurt!

Robert

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
well you did mention here so here goes!
In the documentary the grandfather paradox was mentioned. Apparently the latest thinking is that such a paradox could not occur so we must invoke the idea of a multiverse i.e. there are an infinite number of universes where every possible permutation of events is played out. So, if you went back and killed your grandfather (or thought you did) you would in fact be going into a closely related universe on a different timescale in which the equivalent of your grandfather in that setting could be killed without impacting on you because his future would not yet have happened. Thus there would not be a paradox in your universe or his.
Hope that's clear:-)
Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I didn't see the programme, but on the parallel universe aspect, don't we end up with the same paradox one step removed?

Suppose I go back in time (in the parallel universe) and kill my parallel grandfather. That may seem OK, but what if it turns out that one of my parallel grandfather's parallel universe descendants has travelled back in time to MY universe where he became one of my biological ancestors?

I'm off to get my paracetamol.

Robert

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
Maybe you're on to something. Maybe the reason no one caught JTR is because he was a time traveler and he teleported out of the area right after each murder. :-)
Actually, I would have skipped catching him with Polly, because I think it would be easy to be spotted by him and he abort his murder attempt. Same with Stride. If he sees someone lurking around, it might scare him off. Chapman would be an easy catch. Just wait on the other side of the fence and jump over when you hear her say, "No". I wouldn't try with Mary Kelly, because the details are sketchy as to the time of the murder and I'd hate to bust in on them when he hadn't done anything. Although I would like to find Mary Kelly and get a picture of her before the murder. If she really was a hottie, I'd like to see what she looked like. :-)

Eric

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you could travel back in time perhaps you could becomne your own grandfather (just a pretty gross thought out the sky!)
sorry!

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I thought this thread had disappeared into the past!

Eric, maybe one way to catch Jack would be to have a man on the roof of a house opposite the Goulston St site. He would wait from 1.45 onwards, and he'd be equipped with a battery-operated infra-red camera. Just inside the block of flats, on the stairway, would be a couple more men. All would have mobile phones. When Jack appeared with the apron, the one on the roof would ring the others.

Having established Jack's identity, I'd climb back into my time machine and prevent him from killing the earlier victims, also saving Eddowes and Kelly in the process.That's assuming no paradoxes of course.

Jennifer, there's a song "He's His Own Grandpa".
I'm not sure, but I think it's by Spike Jones.

Robert

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd want to see the ID Anderson describes. (NOT the Seaside Home one Swanson mentions UNLESS it proved to be the same one).
But then I would, wouldn't I?
Bloody old Cohenite monomaniac....

All the best,
Martin F (BoCm)

Randy Scholl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The answer seems obvious enough to me. Travel back to the exact moment and place of a given murder as it happens, and after you find out who did it, jump back in your time machine and go slightly further back in time in order to prevent it from occurring. (Assuming you want to prevent it)

But be advised, that when you return to the present, this website won't exist, and a lot of people won't have careers as "ripperologists"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how would you know. we are prenudice if we saw say a maybrick we'd go for him but we may be wrong. what if your time travel affected events it might change the world (or is that out of back to the future!)
jp

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've lost me, Jennifer. If Randy actually sees Maybrick enjoying a merry old disembowel in Mitre Square, how can he be wrong, whatever his prejudices? If I time-travelled into Dorset Street at the appropriate moment, and the Duke of Clarence said, "Go away! I'm practising for dressing my next stag kill!" I'd have to reply, "Gosh, your Royal Highness! I've been dead wrong for years!"
(Though I fear that if I had the opportunity to time travel I should hasten to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre to see exactly how it worked, and how
Much Ado About Nothing or Twelfth Night were played by the Chamberlain's Men, and what roles Will S took. B*gg*r Jack the Ripper! would be my irreverent view if I had the chance of time travelling!)
All the best,
Martin F

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't arrive while it's on fire, Martin!

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i thought you were thinking more along the lines of
good god there is so and so heading towards polly nichols i will hurl myself at him and detain him!(or her)
oh no i was wrong polly is still dead
jp

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should inevitably miss that, Robert, as I have no great wish to see Henry VIII or All Is True. There are enough bad drama docs in our own day without seeing how far Fletcher could drag his co-author down.
All the best,
Martin F

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Randy,
That's why I advocate catching the Ripper at Eddowes murder. We could take him to the future...err...our present and interview him. Martin, you get first crack at him). :-) We don't tell anyone in 1888 what we did.
But wait! The murders stopped suddenly after Kelly's. Maybe someone in the future did exactly what we're proposing? Of course, they'll read this website and our ideas and say, "My what forward thinkers those people were!" So there you have it: The murders stopped and the Ripper was never caught, because he was caught by time travelers. If anyone in the distant future reads this, send an email back in time and tell me who it was that you caught. I promise not to tell anyone and mess up the timeline. My email is: smithe_70@hotmail.com

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On second thought, since I came up with the time traveling idea, I want to get paid! Ok distant future dudes, show me the money. In your email, send me the Texas lottery numbers for the July 12, 2003 drawing. Remember 5 numbers and a power ball. It's up to $24 million. I'll even hook up your ancestors if you tell me who they are.

Eric
smithe_70@hotmail.com

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.