Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Whitechapel today Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Whitechapel today « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Cook
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i visited whitechapel hoping to walk round myself looking for the sites but was put off.
On getting the underground train there, the whitechapel station was more grotty than others, more graffetti etc.
I came out of the subway infront of the hospital where a market was and was suprised to see i was the only white guy there and the streets were packed too. I walked down the street a little way as was going to look for the 10 Bells pub but felt a bit uncomfortable and out of place. I was wondering if all of whitechapel is like that and why did the ethnic communites start settling there in the first place? And is it an unsafe place, whats the crime rate like. I got to the end of the street and turned back, i couldnt wait to get out of there. A shame as I am very interested in it all.
I wouldnt like to walk down any alleyways there!
Just incase anyone gets the wrong impression im not racist just i felt out of place and noticed a few dodgy characters staring.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nick,
Of course Whitechapel is a bit "grotty", and has attracted immigrant populations to settle there since the Hugenots. The present community does consist of many Asians, but honestly, they are mostly harmless.

If you find Whitechapel unsafe and threatening, you must have lived a very sheltered life, so broaden your horizons, stiffenen up the sinews,or simply have a stiff drink first.Do it. The most dangerous thing in Whitechapel is trying to cross the road.

Best Regards,
John Savage

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have walked through Whitechapel during daylight within the past year or so. While it is rather dis-sheveled, this I think is largely due to the markets that still operate. For example, Petticoat Lane is a mess with rubbish. Also, roads and pavements are not kept in quite as good condition as elsewhere in London.

However, I cannot say that I felt a bit unsafe during the daylight hours. Of course, I did not go poking around into back alleys and out of the way areas.

As I have said many times, there are places in my own US city that I would not walk around on a bet even during daylight -- and I hesitate even to drive through. In London, I have never really felt unsafe anywhere.

Andy S.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Whitechapel , has a reputation, of being a tough area, it has been described as the home of many a villian, and because of its mixed races, the whole area can seem scary to people who are not used to the atmosphere.
It just reflects east end life, and if one visits the area , to walk the streets of 'Jack' ones imagination, can increase the tension.
To the people who spend their lives in whitechapel, it is purely home.
I used to walk the streets, at night in the sixties , retracing the steps of the victims , on the exact dates of their deaths, I must admit walking down Bucks Row at 330am in the morning in darkness, knowing that exactly seventy seven years earlier, Nichols was killed on the spot you were standing on, can step up the heart beat, exspecially as Bucks row in 1965 , resembled the original site, like a lot of the murder spots.
Still it was an experience, if somewhat frightening.
Regards Richard.

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick

Whitechapel may look a bit tatty but then what inner-city area doesn't? Wandering around during the day the worst thing that is likely to happen to you is you will be persuaded to buy a load of old tat by a dodgy market trader! At night might be a little different but I find that if you adopt a policy of walking around everywhere looking as if you own the place, nobody ever bothers you, whereas if you look nervy and out of place that's when the dodgy characters will start to target you.

Chris Michetti
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

That would definitely scare the bejeezus out of me, that's for sure.

Nick,

I'm sure the people who live there are sick of tourists coming to see the Ripper murder scenes and maybe that's why you were getting some nasty looks.

Chris

Nick Cook
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your replies, Maybe one day I will attempt another visit. I wonder if the Mary jane kelly site is possible to get to as thats a private carpark now.

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do?,

i felt out of place and noticed a few dodgy characters staring.

As an ex resident I resemble that remark.

You are more likely to be a victim of violent robbery in Westminister than Whitechapel.....FACT

Monty
:-)

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to inner cities, the East End is nothing compared to US cities. I literally wouldn't go anywhere near inner city St. Louis after dark. Guns are rampant and shootings are commonplace. Even if you are not being shot at, you can easily get caught in the crossfire. Whitechapel is pretty tame in comparison.

Andy S.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just returned from a trip to London (which was my debut in England) and I must say I felt quite secure -- I would say even more than at home. And especially I felt East End surprisingly secure. I agree on that the strong foreign influences in the area can make you feel out of place (the Henrique Street sign even had an Arabian translation), but never I felt threatened or uncomfortable. And believe me, I feel that every day here at home, unfortunately.

Speaking about the Ripper sites, I was surprised to see how small and narrow Mitre Square really is (I almost missed it!) -- not much larger than an ordinary back yard, when I actually thought it was a large square. Indeed how the camera can deceive you...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

Good to have you back old chap...and in one piece.

Mitre sq....did you mange to find the outline of Church passage ?? (along Dukes Passage) Very narrow.

Monty
:-)

Natalie Severn
Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn nice to have you back on the threads!Sorry I didnt manage a time to meet in the end but glad you enjoyed London.
Best Natalie

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 714
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
Did you manage to get to St patricks cemetary, and locate kellys grave?. and see all the murder locations, How did you manage to find Mitre square, on my last visit, i was utterly confused, i had not been to aldgate in years, and the office blocks had the same effect as being in Hampton court maze.
Richard.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie,

Thank you. I had a lovely time and I can't wait to get back. It was better than I had ever imagined, although I must admit I am not used to that much traffic and rough tempo. It certainly is a big city.

Monty and Richard, thank you both. It is not nice to be back in Sweden, but it is nice to be back on the Boards.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

Well, it certainly wasn't easy. I was a bit short of time, so I had to follow Whitechapel High Street on the map and then turn off at Mitre Street. I couldn't afford to try and reach it through the narrow passages as the Ripper and Eddowes may have done. And since Church Passage didn't seem to exist anymore, that wasn't a difficult decision. However, S:t James' Passage and Dukes Passage (yes, Monty!) gave me a fairly good picture of what those narrow passages looked like.

But you are right, Richard, I consider myself being quite a good map reader but I actually went wrong a couple of times, mostly because I wasn't thorough enough and also misinterpreted the distances. And yes, the office blocks doesen't make it any easier.

Mitre Square lies quite far off, and so does the Polly Nichols site, which I never managed to reach at all.
But as I said, to find Mitre Square such a little and crammed place was indeed a surprised. I had always pictured it as a very large, open and desolate place, but it felt more like a minimal back yard. Strange place.

No, Richard, unfortunately I didn't manage to find time to reach any of the grave sites -- I had quite a tight schedule -- but I certainly will next time. Because I certainly will be back as soon as possible, I really enjoyed it and felt quite at home immediately (although the costs for my One Day Travel cards on the subway nearly ruined me -- London isn't just big, it also rather expensive...).
Thanks for the nice reception, you guys.

Natalie,
We'll take a rein check, eh? I think I spotted that café you were talking about.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Glenn

Nice to hear about your trip to Whitechapel and I am glad that your tour of the murder sites was successful.

All the best

Chris

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much. It was indeed a great experience (and quite a number of good pubs along the way also, I might add :-) )

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.