Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 24, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » The Casebook Makeover! » Archive through February 24, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian W. Schoeneman
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

The new layout looks great! I'm glad that even with all the stuff going on, you had time to do such a major redesign.

Bravo, buddy.

B

Stephen P. Ryder
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, thanks Brian... actually much of the work was already done late in January, it just took a good day or so of fiddling to get the final bits done and ready for launch. I figured a three-day weekend with 2-3 feet of snow keeping me indoors was probably a good time to get busy. :)

Stephen P. Ryder
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Along with the Casebook makeover, I hope to be running a complete upgrade and redesign of these message boards in the next week or two, or whenever I get around to purchasing it. :)

What this will mean...

1. The boards will be completely incorporated into the www.casebook.org design. It will no longer have the feel of a separate site. It will also no longer be in frames. This will allow for easier movement between the boards and the Casebook proper, and easier cross-referencing of related topics. I also hope to incorporate the message board content into the main Casebook search engine.

2. Increased functionality. The software upgrade will allow for many, many new features, including:

* private messaging between registered board members
* rating (scale of 1-5) of individual posts
* list of members currently online
* better, more intuitive process for uploading images and attachments
* more formatting options
* no-ad option... users will have the option to register a "no advertising" account for the price of a small donation to the site. All advertisements will be removed (including the annoying pop-ups) whenver you're logged in with a "no ad" account. Registered members who have purchased the Casebook CD-Rom, and those who have already sent donations in to the Casebook, will automatically be given "no-ad" accounts.

3. Access issues... a moderator "queue" will be initiated, which will allow non-registered members to post to the boards. All non-member posts will be sent to the moderator queue for approval before being posted live to the site, so that we can guarantee the post is appropriate to the discussion. Registered members will be allowed to post as always, with their comments being immediately added to the site.

This new "queue" should allow more "newbies" into the boards (to prevent the "stagnation" several people have been concerned about) while still allowing us to carefully control for offensive content, etc. The idea is to give "newbies" a chance to test the waters, and if they enjoy the boards, they will eventually register for a proper account, along with all the benefits that come with it. Otherwise there is concern that newbies will be intimidated by the new registration process, and no new registrations will come in.

As always comments, questions and suggestions are appreciated!

Kevin Braun
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Stephen,

The new format sounds great.

What does "rating (scale of 1-5) of individual posts" mean? Is that a 1-5 measure of the quality of the content (of the post)? That could be very interesting. A few more details, please.

Take care,
Kevin

Stephen P. Ryder
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kevin -

The ratings feature offered in ver4.0 of the message board software creates a small "Rate it" link on every single post. A user clicks it, and a small pop-up window comes up that asks them to rate the quality of that post on a scale of 1-5. All votes are tallied and averaged to determine the overall "Rating" of that particular post.

Whether or not its a useful feature, I'm not yet sure - I think we'll have to test it out for a while before we can tell. What I would like to explore is the option of keeping a list of "Highest rated posts of the month/week/year, etc." Sort of a means of acknowledging some of the more thought-provoking ideas posted to these boards. Maybe the highest rated post each month earns its poster a free "no-advertisements" account?? :)

Kevin Braun
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good idea. My initial impression was that a moderator is going rate the quality of the posts. Seems silly now.

BTW, I do not find the advertisements (pop ups) on the Message Boards all that distracting. Part of the price of doing business. Thanks again!

Take care,
Kevin

Alexander Chisholm
Police Constable
Username: Alex

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simply splendid, Stephen

The new format is great.

Thank you very much for your continued hard work to accommodate the likes of yours truly.

We’re not worthy!

Best Wishes
alex

Brian W. Schoeneman
Police Constable
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

The new boards format looks great as well. I'm very excited about all of the new changes!

B

Richard Brian Nunweek
Police Constable
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,
I have tested the new format with a couple of posts, excellent, and good luck in the future.
Richard.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Police Constable
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Stephen,

I do like this new layout; it seems easy to use. Hopefully I will find out over the next few years.

Cheers, Mark

John Whitaker
Police Constable
Username: Kingjohn39

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

The new look is great, it's a good change. The only thing I miss is the button that allowed me to view only the last day or weeks posts. But that's a minor thing, all in all a very good job.

John

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John -

Thanks for the kind words. The Last Day / Last Week functions are still here, I use them a great deal myself. Look at the bottom-left of every screen. They are now text links.

Jon Smyth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another 'pat on the back', Stephen.

Terrific Job.

One question.
When posts were (old format) displayed as "Last Week" for instance, we were able to see the listings change colour after they had been read. Now they do not seem to do that, or is the problem at my end?

Thanks

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon -

Excellent point. I've regenerated the boards now so that previously viewed pages show in a darker reddish/brown color. Give it a try and see if that works for you.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Police Constable
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Stephen,

Yes, it works for me. In fact they turn black.

Cheers, Mark

Jon Smyth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who's got HBO?
http://www.hbo.com/autopsy/video/index.html
(Jack the Ripper)

Can you watch this and give an overview?
Thanx Jon

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got HBO, but don't see when this will be airing... I think it might just be a web feature? A few weeks ago an HBO producer contacted me for permission to use some Casebook graphics on a new Autopsy mini-site they were creating, so I have a hunch this is it.

Kevin Braun
Police Constable
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Speaking of HBO. The movie "From Hell" will be featured sometime in March. That was fast! In the promo I saw last night, they mentioned something about scenes not included in the initial release of the film. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Take care,
Kevin

Brian W. Schoeneman
Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm excited by that - I still haven't seen it yet. :-)

B

John Whitaker
Police Constable
Username: Kingjohn39

Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for telling me about those buttons Stephen. If you hadn't pointed them out, I would have never seen them. Now the makeover rates a perfect 10!!!

John

Jeffrey Bloomfield
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have sent in a form to Stephen Ryder, and I hope
to hear from him soon (only sent it on Thursday).

The Board does look better. I like the choice
of Montague Druitt's picture, in a thoughtful
pose.

Jeff

Christopher T. George
Police Constable
Username: Chrisg

Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jeff:

Yes I agree that the Druitt picture looks rather stylish. Wonder if he is thinking, "How do I get out of this mess???!!!!"

While the circumstances that forced the change in the message boards were unfortunate, I think that more stringent control of the material posted is essential as protection for both Stephen, as owner of the boards, and for us as posters. The new look to the boards and the speed of them appear to be an added boon but perhaps Stephen was thinking of making such changes anyway. Of course, I am sure that the added speed is partly a function of the fact that these new boards have been started from scratch. I remember that with some of the old Maybrick boards it would sometimes take forever to get a post to take.

All the best

Chris

Chris Phillips
Police Constable
Username: Cgp100

Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it's stylish, but is it also reversed, mirror fashion, from the original?

It appears the other way round in Evans and Skinner's book.

Funily enough, as someone enquired yesterday about whether Druitt was known to be right- or left-handed, I remember puzzling over that picture previously, trying to decide whether the pose gave any evidence about that. (I concluded that it probably didn't.)

Chris Phillips

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2632
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, ol' Druitt is mirrored for the Casebook... wanted him facing the other way, toward the content area, in a contemplative pose... :-)

David O'Flaherty
Police Constable
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who are some of the other people appearing in the background? Sickert, Druitt, and Annie Chapman I recognize, but who's the dashing fellow in the sketch drawing? That's not Mansfield, is it?

Good to be back--I love the new format and am looking forward to what the HTML email formats will look like (my inbox has been woefully empty the last couple of weeks). Thanks for giving the boards another shot, Stephen.
Cheers,
Dave

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.