Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Melvin Harris (1930-2004) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Notable Persons » Melvin Harris (1930-2004) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just learned Melvin Harris passed away in his sleep last night. He was 73 years old. All signs seem to point to a peaceful passing, though the official cause of death has yet to be determined.

My understanding is that services will be held on the 13th, and that it will be a cremation. More news will be posted as and when it becomes available.

Although he'd ruffled many feathers in his time, Melvin was also tremendously helpful and supportive to many authors and researchers in the field. Melvin assisted myself and the Casebook on numerous occasions by sharing previously-unpublished material and offering helpful insights along the way. He will certainly be missed.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Ally
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ally

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am very sorry to hear that Melvin has passed away. I was very much looking forward to one day meeting him and am saddened that I will never get the opportunity. Ripper studies will be diminished by his passing.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Ally

Peter R. A. Birchwood
Sergeant
Username: Pbirchwood

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both Maria and I are saddened to hear that Melvin Harris died yesterday. We heard just a few minutes ago, and I cannot bring myself to believe that this has happened. Just before Christmas He sent me a tape of a TV show concerning the missing fortune of Diana Dors. He thought that I might be able to help unravel the mystery. That was the last time that I spoke to him. We exchanged Christmas cards and expected to speak sometime in the New Year.
The best obituary that a man like Melvin Harris could have is the simple statement: "he will be missed."
Our thoughts are with Maureen and his family at this time.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen

Thank you for alerting us to the passing of Ripper author Melvin Harris. Whatever we may think of Mr. Harris, as an arch opponent of the Maybrick diary, and an admittedly controversial personality, he made substantial contributions in three books on the Ripper case and his advocacy of Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson as a viable suspect, a baton that has been taken up recently by Ivor Edwards. Melvin's death is a loss to the field of Ripper studies.

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I am always sorry to hear of sad news concerning us Ripper Folk. Melvin, was a true enthusiast, and he will be missed. I have all his contributions in my study, and rest in peace sir.
Best wishes to his family .
Richard.

John V. Omlor
Inspector
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Although I, like so many others, had friendly and not so friendly exchanges with and about Melvin Harris over the years, there is no question that he was a tireless worker with an eye for and appreciation of detail and that the thoroughness of his analyses and research commanded respect.

Melvin knew that I used to have satirical fun with his unmistakable style here on the boards, and yet whenever the need arose, he was nevertheless always kind enough to offer me help and background material and assistance with any questions I might have about anything. He was, I discovered, a true gentleman at heart.

My sincerest condolences to his friends and family and there is no doubt that his passing is a loss for the field.

Indeed, he will be missed.

All the best,

--John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My condolences to Mr Harris's family and friends.
Sad news indeed.

Robert

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

This is very sad news. I was fortunate enough to have met Mr Harris some years back, he was the perfect gentleman, polite, friendly, helpful and he possessed a good sense of humour.
My condolences to his family.

Rob

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings for a New Year, All,
I too an truly sad to hear of Melvin Harris' passing.
When a Ripper researcher combines thorough research with a feisty, robust writing style,
I delight in reading their work.
Several of the iconic Ripper authors do. Some do not.
I have noticed a few of the regular Casebook posters are revealing themselves as thorough researchers who are honing their writing skills, and reasoning skills on these pages.
Yet another useful role this wonderful Website performs.Thanks again Stephen P.
Vale Melvin Harris. Who I admired and to whom I intended writing to seek his permission to use a letter of his for a piece I am slowly composing on the Australian Ripper connection...
Too late now.
I think there's a lesson in that for all of us. Don't you?

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 180
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i would like to add my condolences to melvin harris' family. it is always sad to learn someone has past away. my thoughts are with his family.
he mada an vaulable contribution to ripperology, he will be missed by those of us who use these boards
jennifer

Peter R. A. Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could not bring myself to write about Melvin in the past tense because he still lives in my mind. I will always remember Melvin as a very tall distinguished man with a wonderful mellow voice. The type that you listen to on radio, with lovely music on a quiet Sunday afternoon, and I discovered through his wife that he did indeed work for the BBC as a radio presenter.

He was a very talented man, who, in his spare time, used to make oboes. Melvin's oboes were highly sort-after by the National Philharmonic musicians, who would always prefer his oboes, as they had the magic to produce a much richer sound than the commercial ones.

In his younger days, Melvin enjoyed fame in a BBC programme that would explain the logical and scientific reasons for miraculous events like the sudden tears of a virgin in a shrine, unmask fraudsters and had a sense of honesty and honour. In all senses, he was an old-world gentleman with solid moral values; a rare virtue to find, these days.

He still lives in our minds.

Love to you all,
Maria Birchwood.

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 585
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sadly, I never had the opportunity to meet and talk with Melvin, although it wasn’t for want of trying. I am quite certain it would have been a truly memorable occasion.

This man will undoubtedly be remembered as one of life’s more interesting and colourful characters – and that’s a huge achievement in itself.

My thoughts are with all his family and friends at this sad time.

Caz

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a sad thing when any talented researcher/writer (like Harris) dies. I never had any personal contact with Harris, but his style on these boards prevented me from ever
trying to get to know him. My sympathies to his family, friends and his admirers.

Jeff

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melvin had a good brain, that's for sure. When you read his books, you knew you were dealing with someone who had ability to make analyses and solve the case. Sometimes the failures of truly capable people are their greatest contribution, because these are more educational for the rest of us than the successes of other people.

David Radka

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sad News.

My sympathy to family and friends.

Monty
:-)

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Photo of Melvin Harris, courtesy of Ripper Notes.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Peter R. A. Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your messages of sympathy which, except for those that we thought would not be appropriate, have been passed on to Maureen Harris, Melvin's widow.

The cause of Melvin Harris' death on the first January has been listed as a heart attack. Melvin had no history of heart problems and for a man of his age, was in excellent physical condition. It should be said that a few days before his death, Melvin made a long trip by rail from his home to a production facility where he was part of a team working on a new TV project. Regretfully, the train in both directions was very crowded and very late running. Melvin, who was a tall man was unable to stretch his legs or to walk up and down the carriage. It is in these circumstances that Deep Vein Thrombosis can occur.

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sad news indeed..

crix0r

Julian Rosenthal
Sergeant
Username: Jules

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And so the world loses another pioneer in Ripper research. A man who was not afraid to speak his mind and who stood his ground when assailed by those who wished to debate his ideas.

Take care wherever you are mate. May you rest in peace.

To the Harris family, may your grief be short in the knowing that it is being shared.

God Bless
Jules

Peter R. A. Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter and I have just come home from Melvin Harris' funeral. I think that Melvin would have liked it.

It was not a religious ceremony, Melvin was a humanist, he believed in a better world for everyone by helping one another with justice and honesty and I admired those qualities in him. We are very sorry he is not with us anymore.

The day was bright but cold and crisp, there were only family and close friends attending.

A humanist speaker read details about Melvin's amazing life together with the thoughts of some of us present, pieces of his favourite music were played. A farewell red rose was given by each of us as we left.
It was a simple ceremony, but one that we shall always remember.

Maria and Peter

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2924
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An obituary for Melvin Harris can now be found on the Casebook at:

http://casebook.org/authors/obituaries/mharris.html

Many thanks to Stewart Evans for providing the above piece.

Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Maria, Peter, and Stephen:

Stephen, thank you so much for posting that wonderful obituary of Mr. Harris written by Stewart P. Evans. I encourage everyone to read this life of a truly remarkable man. Maria and Peter, Melvin's funeral sounds as if it was a lovely but sad affair and an appropriate "sending off" for a unique individual. I wish I could have been there with you.

All the best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.