Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Pub Opening Times Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Victorian Culture and Related Issues » Pub Opening Times « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Janice Lazell-Wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hiya - having been interested in JTR for the longest time, I find this site incredibly interesting. The fact I should be doing some work, is neither here nor there! Anyway - could anyone help me with a question? I was just wondering whether pubs in JTR's time were open 24/7 or whether they kept licensing hours like pubs today. Many thanks and a Happy New Year to all!

Kris Law
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kris

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that they closed around 12:30 in the morning, I'm not certain, though, what time they would be opened again though. I would think fairly early if Mrs. Maxwell was telling Mary Kelly to go have a pint the morning of her murder.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kris,
I believe the market pubs , opened at 4am,
And the non market pubs closed 1230-100am.
Richard.
Not Like todays hours.

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to add a question to your topic, if that's okay. I was wondering if they served food as well as drink in a pub like Ten Bells and also what alcohol they served besides gin and beer.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.