Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through December 27, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » Life after Baltimore! Where in U.K in 2005? » Archive through December 27, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
O.K.the Baltimore thing will be great I know..but it's full!! and it's in Baltimore!! Any really good(sensible-ish!) suggestions for 2005?..Brighton??? Might be good to be beside the seaside..or there could be Southsea where Conan Doyle appeared at some point and there's George Smith of course...fancy a bath anyone!!
Come on chaps...suggestions!!
Love
Suzi

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

Brighton has been mentioned as a possible venue for the next UK Ripper convention. . . and there has been some talk of the East End of London possibly at the Tower Hotel in East London. Stay tuned for news of where it will be, although I am not certain that the venue will be confirmed any time soon. Suzi, I am glad to know of your interest this far ahead of the event! laugh

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify - the Batlimore Conference is NOT full and we are still accepting reservations, first-come, first-served. We've received a handful of last-minute cancellations recently which has opened up five previously-filled spots. If you are interested in attending, PLEASE NOTE THAT ONCE THESE SEATS ARE TAKEN WE CAN ACCEPT NO MORE REGISTRATIONS... IN OTHER WORDS - REGISTER A.S.A.P. TO GUARANTEE YOUR SEAT AT THE CONFERENCE.

You can register online at http://www.casebook.org/2004/ or you can send in your registration deposit by postal mail. Feel free to contact us at 2004@casebook.org with any questions.

Hope to see you in April!

Baltimore Conference - April 2004
http://www.casebook.org/2004/
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, London, please London! It would give me an excuse (not that I need one) to visit this fair city of my affection!

To be honest, it really doesn't cost me that much more to fly to London than it would to fly to Baltimore, especially during the off-season. Of course, I could always drive to Baltimore which I can't do to London!

Andy S. <--- who is hopeful of a quick London jaunt with family in March of 2004.

(Message edited by aspallek on December 23, 2003)

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the organisers of the UK Conference are still open to suggestions and London is decided on, might I suggest the Charterhouse building near Smithfield Market? This is available for private bookings, so it says on their website. The reason I'm suggesting it (apart from the fact it looks a good venue!) is it used to be known as the Triangle Hotel and is the building in which Roslyn D'Onston is listed as a boarder in 1891.
Regards
Chris

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!
Great to see that I've sparked off a little(if somewhat premature!) 2005 frenzy!Thanks Spryder for your reply but I don't think I'll be able to make it.
Chris S-The Charterhouse building sounds fun! do you have their website address? might be worth a recce.
Chris G- You can never be too far ahead of a J.T.R. event!! Got to get those vocal chords working in time!!
London,Brighton..somewhere south-ish would be really good though (purely selfishly speaking!!)
Andy and Sue- Any London/East-End-ish venues that could cope with the numbers??
Looking forward to your responses(!)
Cheers
Suzi

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 786
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi
the url of the website is
http://www.charterhousebar.co.uk/

Chris

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris S
Wow!! quite a venue having just had a quick look at the site!!!!!!!!!!!Wonder what everyone else thinks?
Hope they'll be up for it!
Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Chartehouse that is!...not the good people of the boards who I know are up for it!
Suzi

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Suzi:

For your information, Andy and Sue Parlour have been looking into the possibility of holding the 2005 UK convention at the aforementioned Tower Hotel in East London. However, I believe no decision has been made so far on a venue for the 2005 event, which will probably be, I should think, in August or September of that year.

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris (G)
Thanks for that! Sounds great and I'm sure A&S will provide us with more details in due course and a great time! Thanks for your interest and help!
Cheers
Suzi

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Please not London. What with the congestion charges, lack of parking, over officious traffic wardens etc etc, it would be a nightmare. We don't want to come out at the end of the conference to find the cars been towed!

I would suggest somewhere like Bournemouth where we went the other year. It was a great venue, perfectly relaxed with no hassle and a thoroughly enjoyable time was had by all.

Why not think further west. How about Cardiff and area. Good transport, train, car, coaches, airport nearby and of course the MJK connection.

Bob

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope Dublin will also be considered. Personally I’d love that as I’ve never been, and have heard nothing but ripping things about the place.

Love,

Caz

(Message edited by Caz on December 24, 2003)

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Bob and Caz:

I don't know about Dublin but Cardiff might tickle the fancy of Paul Begg. We might even bring Tom Jones on board as the Saturday night entertainment. The Ripper Reloaded. laugh

Chris

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

We'll take the Tube!!!

Seriously, airfares from the US to London are a real bargain off-season. But if you add a second flight or a rail trip it increases the cost for us Yanks quite a bit.

Andy S.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Andrew,

From where do I take the tube? My car would have to be left somewhere but with the present anti car legislation rampant in London that's just not possible.

You also don't explain how I take the tube with all my stock for sale at the convention?

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob-
Bournemouth...relaxed!!!!! have you been there when the wheelchairs are racing!!
Cardiff sounds ok(ish).......
If you're serious about Bournemouth...how about Eastbourne!!!!!!!!fancy a zimmer race?! good to see you on this thread!
Love
Suzi

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob --

I see your point. It's just that traveling beyond London adds so much extra expense for us might come from America. I flew from the US Midwest to London for $435 with return last Feb. That's not a whole lot more than it would cost me to fly to either US coast! But when you add a journey by rail....

But the chances of my being able to make it are slim anyway. It's not so much the expense, it's that the chances of my being able to take time off work at any specific time are not great. I usually have to take my time off when I can fit it in.

Andy S.

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew
Never mind.../I'm sure you'd enjoy a Brit-Com actually when you've been to one expenses are the last thing on your mind!! You just deal with all that when you get home!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Come on.. London's easy and from there everywhere else is RELATIVELY easy (don't go via Reading though!!)
sure you'd enjoy it!!!!1...ask anyone who went (or remembers!) Liverpool!!!!!!!!!what do you reckon??
x Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Sergeant

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob
Good to see you back on the boards! Suzi

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz/Chris

Yay, Dublin get's my vote! There's some great venues around, a Ripper connection in being the birthplace of Dr Robert Anderson, and a chance for everyone to sample the black stuff the way it is really supposed to taste!

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
O.K. Dublin sounds good..can fly from Southampton!.........(Mind you..Bournemouth is a damn sight closer!)
Cheers
Suzi

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 494
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I would love to attend the convention, but hopefully such an event must be in London, for most of us living in the U.K, that would be the easiest travel.
As these murders occured in the east end of london , surely , an apt site locally would be atmospheric.
Richard.

Natalie Severn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Severn

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with what you are saying Richard.Its fairly easy to get a weeks parking permit for not a huge amount of money and some of the hotels have their own parking spaces.As you go towards Mile End from Whitechapel it becomes much cheaper and its still very close to Spitalfields etc.
Natalie.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Could we have the conference in my back garden? Ideal for travel (at least for me) and you could all have a nice pot of tea.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.