Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Prince of Wales' Birthday Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Victorian Culture and Related Issues » Prince of Wales' Birthday « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Bezek
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, my compliments on one of the finest websites I've seen! My question; it seems little notice has been paid to the fact that November 9, the day of Mary Kelley's murder, was the birthday of the Prince of Wales (future Edward VII), who was of course, father of Prince Albert Victor. I don't believe in the "Royal Conspiracy", but has anyone paid notice to this co-incidence?

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Michael,

Yes, it has been noted. Michael Harrison wrote a book, CLARENCE, WAS HE JACK THE RIPPER? in which he tried to take apart the theory of Dr. Thomas Stowell that the Duke of Clarence (the eldest son of Bertie, the Prince of Wales - and grandson of Queen Victoria) was the Ripper. Stowell's theory has many holes in it, but it has been part of the basis of the royal conspiracy theories since it came out in 1970. Harrison tried to show that the actual murderer was Clarence's tutor and friend from Cambridge University, James Kenneth Stephen (poet and son of Justice James Fitzjames Stephen, who was the judge at the trial of Florence Maybrick in 1889). Harrison really showed some inventiveness in trying to fit James Kenneth Stephen to the points in Stowell's theory, but it is not very convincing. It is based on a belief that Stephen was a homosexual lover of Clarence, who was being disgarded, and was killing the prostitutes in retaliation. The dates of the killings were linked to various dates connected to the Royal Family or latin or greek dates (Stephen was a scholar). That Mary Kelly was killed on the morning of November 9, 1888 was listed. However, Harrison's facts are really insubstantiated guesses and surmises based
on coincidences. I might point out that Mary Kelly was also killed on Lord Mayor's Day in London. Perhaps the Ripper was out to disgrace the new Lord Mayor?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jeff:

You probably know that Sir James Fitzjames Stephen was also the judge in the trial of Israel Lipski for the murder of Miriam Angell. Another of the little bizarre, indirect coincidences in the case. If only all these little intriguing connections really did fit together and form a pattern. . .

All the best

Chris

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
If memory serves me correctly, was not Sir James Fitzjames Stepen also the judge in the Florence Maybrick case?

Regards,
John Savage

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, yes, indeed, John, see Jeff's post above. laugh

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, John, and Michael,

I was aware of the Lipski - Stephen connection, and did not mention it because (in the back of my mind) Justice Stephen's breakdown and misuse of his judicial role at Mrs. Maybrick's trial (which was a sign of his impending mental collapse) sought of links up to James Kenneth Stephen's mental collapse and death (by starvation) in an insane asylum in 1892. I too wish these little coincidences added up to something, but remember that the small world of Victorian Judiciary would naturally cause figures like Justice Stephen to handle two different cases that intertwined with the Ripper Case.

I have gone back to my old copy of Harrison's book
(New York: Drake Publishing Co., 1972, 1974). On page 185 he lists these dates corresponding between the deaths of the victims (eleven victims rather than the traditional five or six victims, according to Harrison) and various birthdays, and
anniversaries. Personally I find it very confusing:

Smith 3/4th April, 1888 Feast of Cybele, the Great Mother

Turner 6/7th August, 1888 Birthday of the
Duke of Edinburgh. Eddy's bon vivant uncle and companion

Nicholls 31st August, 1888 Birthday of Princess (afterwards Queen) Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (then staying at Windsor).

Chapman 8th September, 1888 ....[Nothing is given by Harrison]

Stride & Eddowes 30th September, 1888 ....[Nothing is given by Harrison]

Kelly 9th November, 1888 Birthday of Prince of Wales

Farmer 21st November, 1888 Birthday of the
Empress Frederick, the Prince of Wales's sister.

Mellett (or Davis) 28th December, 1888 The Feast of the Holy Innocents, especially observed by the religious Princess of Wales.

McKenzie 16/17th July, 1889 4th anniversary of the striking of the medal for Eddy
[the Duke of Clarence] to commemorate his receiving the Freedom of the City of London.

Coles 13th February, 1891 The Ides of February - the Roman Feast of Terminalia.

It is a weird mix of Roman holidays, connections with the birthdays of the Royal Family, and one birthday of a non-British Royal, an anniversary
connected to Eddy getting some mark of respect, and one Christian holiday observed by Eddy's mother Alexandra. To me, it looks like Harrison looked desperately for any kind of event tha hooked up (somehow - no matter how tendentially) to Eddy, his parents, aunts or uncles, or even their visitors (Queen Wilhelmina of Holland?).
It is not too impressive.

By the way, Mary Kelly's murder is not the only famous English murder to occur in London on Lord Mayor's Day (Nov. 9th). On Nov. 9, 1902, Kitty Byron stabbed her faithless lover to death on a London street on the parade route (Kitty was convicted but got a reduced sentence - she was sentenced to prison and eventually released).

Best wishes,

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.