Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Viper (19?? - 2003) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Notable Persons » Viper (19?? - 2003) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note that Viper, also known as A.M. Phypers, passed away this past April. From the little information I have his death was sudden and unexpected. I will post more information here as it comes in.

Viper added a great deal to this web site, and to our general knowledge of Ripperology, through his contributions to the Dissertations, Press Reports and message board sections of the Casebook, as well as his numerous contributions to the Ripper magazines. He was responsible for the "Casebook Press Project" which digitized and cross-referenced hundreds of U.K. contemporary press reports, and for that I will always be grateful.

Thanks to CMD for bringing this sad news to my attention.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 451
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen

This is devastating news and a great loss to Ripperology. I never had the fortune to meet Adrian in the flesh, but was in close correspondence with him at times. Adrian provided me with invaluable and unique information that greatly helped my research and writing. I am most saddened by this news.

Thanks for informing us of the passing of Adrian M. Phypers aka Viper, Stephen. He will be greatly missed.

Chris

Ally
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ally

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also am truly sorry to hear about this. For chatters who may not be aware, Viper chatted under the name Cornucopia. He was a true gentleman and a genuinely nice person and he will be missed.

Ally

(Message edited by admin on December 02, 2003)

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Ally and Everyone:

I certainly agree with you that Viper (Adrian) was a true gentleman as well as a most knowledgable chap about East End history. I regret now more than ever that he and I never had the pint of beer we were supposed to have on one of my trips to the UK! sad

Incidentally, if anyone happens to have a good photograph of Viper I would like to run it with an obituary on him that I will be writing for Ripperologist. There were a couple of photographs of him on a London walking tours site with which he was associated but the site appears to be down. The site was "Londoninium Walks" and one of the photographs showed Adrian getting his license as an accredited City of London tour guide from the Lord Mayor of London.

All the best

Chris

Alexander Chisholm
Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can only echo what has been said already.

This is tragic news.

A gentleman, scholar, and all round nice guy, Adrian (V.) will be sadly missed.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A tragic loss to a real professional, when ever one was in doubt , he would put one straight, it is so sad to hear of his death.
Richard.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 741
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was deeply saddened to hear this news. I never met Viper but had dealings with him in the course of the Press Reports project and always found him supportive and ready with a kind word. there are not enough like him - he will be sadly missed.
Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues
Sleep well, my friend.
Yours in sadness
Chris

(Message edited by Chris on December 02, 2003)

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is awful news and a terrible loss. Nobody knew as much about London as Viper, and he was always kindly willing to share information with those of us who knew less. He was also a keen and shrewd observer, as anyone who read any of his posts will know or who dealt with the Press Project will remember. It's sad to think we're not going to hear from him again--no more of his posting alerts to his prescence in the chatroom. I use to milk him for information mercilessly, and the poor guy was probably just looking to chat.

I don't know if he had a family. If so, I hope they're all right.

David

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't believe that we missed him for so long - it seems like yesterday I was email him about the press project.

I wish we'd known about it more.

Stephen, any chances of possibly doing a memorial or something? Maybe something at the Baltimore convention?

B

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 4:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fellow Chasers,

This is truly devastating news.

Im absolutely shocked and deeply saddened.

Vipes was one of the good ones and certainly one of the best.

This world of ours has suddenly become rather small and lonely.

We have lost a giant people, a Colossus….and those that had dealings with him will know that Im not exaggerating here.

Respect to the Viper.

Monty

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 6:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There will definitely be a memorial to Viper on the site somewhere. Its not an exaggeration to say that without him the Casebook wouldn't be half the site it is today.

I met with Adrian in the spring of 2001, when Ally and I were staying in Kensington, to thank him in person for all his hard work in establishing and running the Casebook Press Project. He was a humble, easy-going and delightful dinner companion. At the time he was very excited to be starting a new career as a London tour guide - a job which took full advantage of his encyclopedic knowledge of the history of the city. We talked about that, and of course about the Ripper and the Casebook. One of his main concerns were these very boards, which he felt had limitless potential. As we left the restaurant, I gave him a copy of "The Curse of Mitre Square" which I'd purchased that day in the Murder One bookstore (he'd never read it before). We shook hands and he walked alone back to the Underground station, as we returned to our hotel across the street.

My last emails from Adrian came on the 1st of April, and true to form, they contained several new and updated press reports from the Bradford Observer for inclusion on the Casebook. What many people don't know is the sheer amount of work he put into the press project. Not only did he collect and copy the articles from microfilm, but he also developed a brilliant system by which he could delegate transcription work to a series of hearty volunteers. As each transcription arrived back in his inbox, he would painstakingly double-check every word against the original, format it in Microsoft Word, and then email me the finished product. If he later found just a single spelling error or mistake in punctuation, he would immediately email me a revised copy, carefully highliting the problem area to be fixed. Regular updates would be sent in Excel spreadsheet form, showing progress to-date using his own color-coding system which displayed word counts, completion dates and estimates, and even productivity levels of all registered volunteers. It was an incredible effort which lasted some three-odd years, and all expenses came straight out of his own pocket.

Any time you've read a U.K. press report on the Casebook, its a likely bet that it came from the desk of Adrian M. Phypers.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Viper

In Memory of A. M. Phypers, died April 2003

Sibilantly he went where none went before.
With finesse, he treated us to his noblesse.
Of his largesse, he gave all without redress.
Sadly, Viper now has slithered from our lives.

Viper R.I.P.

Christopher T. George

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Terrible news – such a kind and knowledgeable gent, and someone less like a viper in his dealings with fellow posters one can hardly imagine.

Cheers Viper, you will be remembered with great affection, which is as great an achievement as being known for all your hard work. And now maybe you even know who dunnit….you of all people deserve to know.

Love,

Caz

Wolf Vanderlinden
Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sadly I never had the opportunity to meet Adrian. I asked him if he was coming to the Bournemouth Conference but he told me that he was unable to attend. I told him that I owed him a pint then. I still do. What a loss.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Wolf.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is very sad news.
i hope the press report section lives on as a tribute to his memory as you all indicate that it meant a great deal to him

jennifer

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen:

If you are looking for suggestions to honor Viper's memory, you might consider naming the press section the "Adrian M. Phypers Press Project" or similar. Donations to the Casebook could possibly also be given in Adrian's name. Will let you know if I think of more ideas. As far as I know, Adrian lived alone so I don't think he left a family. Perhaps you can confirm. One more thing, Stephen or Caroline, or anyone, any hope of getting a photograph of Adrian to run in Ripperologist? Thanks.

All the best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like with Wren:
"If you look for his monument, look around"

C

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My condolences to any relatives, and my commiserations to you all on the loss of your much loved friend.

Robert

Lisa Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 7:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please print my respects to Adrian. I corresponded with him a lot a few years ago, not always on Ripper issues, and he struck me as a really genuine and down to earth man. I didn't hear from him as much since he took up his City of London Tour Guide post, but thought it strange I hadn't heard from him for so long. A very sad loss.

RosemaryO'Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 9:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May I also add my condolences. Viper was unique and will be sadly missed on the Casebook.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was very sorry to hear about this in Chat last evening. Viper and I were in communication by email occasionally, and I much appreciated his gentlemanliness and vast empirical knowledge of the case. It is hard to imagine he'll not be here with us again. On the other hand, now he knows who Jack the Ripper was.

David

Jim DiPalma
Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Very sad news indeed. I never had the opportunity to meet Adrian, but I worked with him very closely and corresponded frequently on the Press Reports project. He was the consumate gentleman, who generously shared his considerable knowledge of London's history and geography. IMO, Monty has it exactly right, we have truly lost a giant.

Stephen, I very much like Chris' suggestion of naming the Press Reports section after Adrian. He poured his heart into that project, I think it would be a fitting tribute indeed.

RIP Viper, you will be sorely missed, mate.

Jim

John Hacker
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been putting off posting for days, because words simply fail me here. I wish I had the opportunity to actually meet Viper, but unfortunately that wasn't to be.

Like many other here, my wife and I worked with him on the Press Project and corresponded with him frequently. He was always a gentleman, and his knowledge of London was truly extraordinary. On those times he popped up in the chatroom, he was always a delight to chat with.

Just last week my wife had asked me if I had heard from Viper lately. (She really loved the Press Project. Although she has no real interest in JtR she has a deep love for history and old newspapers.) It never occured to me that someone as active and personable as Viper could be simply gone, and it saddens me more than I could have imagined.

Both Carolyn and I send our deepest sympathies to his family, as well as to the JtR community at large. It is a terrible loss for us all.

Goodbye Viper. You are deeply missed.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

I have just realised that it has been over a year since the sad death of Viper.

I have posted something on another thread simply because I didnt know where else to post it. But after some thought (and discussion with Stephen) I feel it derserves a more prominant placing.

I would just like to request that sometime tonight, tomorrow at the weekend, whenever, have a drink and toast this great man. A man who, Im sure we all agree, helped make this site the force it is today.

Im sure we all have our stories about him and, because my dealings with him were brief, I would like to hear some of them.

Respect to Viper.....and a endless thanks.

Monty

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3087
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea, Monty.

When April came back around this year I couldn't help but think of Adrian's passing.

Will toast a drink to him this evening....
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 866
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Guys,
I have just filled a glass, and toasted the gentleman, God bless you Adrian.
A man who was passionate about this subject, and I am sure anyone intrested in this site , will respect such dedication, I cetainly do..
Respects Richard.

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 7:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another fine idea by you, Monty. I will share with everyone a few of my experiences with the Viper, Adrian Phypers.

After acquiring an original copy of Alexandre Lacassagne's Vacher l'Eventreur et les crimes sadiques (Lyon, 1899) I began, in ernest, research into the photographic aspects of the Whitechapel case. My intial idea was just to reproduce the segment on the Whitechapel Murders from the book and provide an English language transtlation. I quickly realized that due to the publication of two photographs - one of Mary Kelly and one of Catherine Eddowes - it deserved a fuller treatment.

Like everyone else, I knew Adrian from the message boards, and soon found out that he had done research into the photographic aspects of the case. It was refreshing to find that he was generous with his research rather than possessive about it. I told him what I had and where I was going and he shared his work with me before it was published in Ripper Notes ('Who Was the Mortuary Photographer?' Adrian Phypers, October 2002). When I took his ideas a step further he was there to guide me, because he always felt that the photographs/photographer was an under explored area of Ripper research. Rather than being defensive or dismissive, he was instead supportive and encouraging.

I was humbled that he took valuable time to fact check in libraries and other repositories. He even offered to take a bus ride through "scenic Epping Forest" (as he phrased it) to visit Waltham Abbey Library for me as I'm on the other side of the pond here in Canada.

He always responded quickly to my emails and answered questions thoughtfully. One of his great passions was East End history. He was always eager to inform neophytes, such as myself, about East End streets, buildings, people, and lore. Due to his knowledge and love of all things East End, he made a very interesting discovery about Joseph Martin, the man responsible for taking the Whitechapel victim photographs (excepting Eddowes), which will be revealed soon.

It is with great respect and admiration that I am dedicating my forthcoming book, The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, to his memory.

I think I'll go have that drink now...

Robert

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Thanks for that.

Guys,

I think the majority who knew Adrain, no matter if they were old Mates or new friends, had similar experiences and also thoughts of Viper.

In this day of copyrighting posts (Dave, I know you do what you have to do and I respect that) Vipers generosity always shone.

I got the feeling, at the time he was around, that everyone thought good of him. I guess what Im saying is that he was valued during the time he was with us and not after, which just goes to show what a man he was.

Im down in London next month. I shall reserve my pint till then.

Monty...who didnt know about St Boltophs...till Viper put him straight
:-)

Cheer mate.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Monty

Great idea to share our thoughts about Viper here. One of my great regrets is that I never met Adrian in the flesh as it were. I was supposed to meet him in the East End at the time of the October 2001 Bournemouth convention but circumstances conspired to not allow us to meet.

Prior to his unfortunate passing a year ago, Viper and I had many pleasant chats in the chatroom at all hours about football (soccer), the East End, and, of course, the case. Often, if it was in daylight hours, say on a Saturday, he would sign off saying he had to go and water his garden or go off to support Leyton Orient.

More than anything, Adrian's knowledge of East End history and the contemporary press reports on the case was phenomenal, and he proved an invaluable resource in my research and writings. As an example, he told me about a Jewish police constable who had committed suicide just after the murder of Mary Jane Kelly in November 1888. This tip led to me writing "The Mysterious Life and Death of PC Richard Brown" that appeared in Ripperologist September 2003.

Similarly, Viper sent me photocopies of articles from the Jewish Chronicle and other newspapers on the Ripper case itself, and on the trial of Israel Lipski for the murder of his landlady Miriam Angel in 1887 and mob scenes around the time of the Jewish umbrella maker's execution. It was, by the way, during such scenes that the same pejorative epithet "Lipski!" was called out as, apparently, at the time of the murder of Liz Stride. Some of this information Viper made available to me will appear in a new article I have coming out imminently in the May 2004 issue of Ripperologist on "Samuel Montagu, MP, Jack the Ripper, and the Jewish East End."

Janice Wiley, whom some may remember by her chat room screen name of Ashling, and who served as a volunteer in the Casebook Press Project, sent me the following reminiscence of Adrian:

"From time to time packets arrived at my house with a London postmark filled with photos, maps and other treasures, all of which Adrian refused repayment for. So when he asked for volunteers to transcribe JTR newspaper accounts, I became a willing ‘eyestrain victim’. There were several of us interested in the same areas of JtR research who communicated off the ‘Casebook: Jack the Ripper’ boards . . . A couple of times a month we AOL chatted as I prepared for bed and Adrian 6 hours later across the Atlantic got ready to start his day. We tossed around ideas for our next chunk of research and shared the differences and similarities in our past and present day cultures. Then Adrian was off to stalk weeds threatening his garden. Wherever you are, Adrian, may the gardens always be in bloom and the game always afoot."

Even a year after his unfortunate death, I still feel a great hole in my life now that Adrian aka Viper has departed from us, and I know his death proved a blow to so many of us. A great and a generous guy, a fine researcher, and afficianado of Ripper and East End lore. Cheers, Viper!! beerchug

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

(Message edited by ChrisG on May 12, 2004)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Any word on what is being done to mark Vipers passing on the casebook?
I never knew Viper but I always respected what he posted on these boards
regards

Jennifer

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

You may or may not have noticed that the Casebook: Jack the Ripper Press Section (see http://casebook.org/press_reports/) is already dedicated to Viper. It was Adrian who started the Casebook Press Project and who oversaw the work of transcribing the press reports with a team of dedicated volunteers. I am sure Stephen can tell us of any other plans to memorialize Adrian. I should think though that Adrian, as modest as he was, would be happy to remembered for starting the project, which I along with Stephen view as his greatest single contribution to the field. It might be added that other researchers such as Chris Scott and Alex Chisholm have added to the work that Viper began.

All the best

Chris

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Nice story.

Leyton Orient?

.......I guess even Viper was fallible !

Monty
:-)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
Sorry I did not realise. I guess i am out of date
regards
Jennifer

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

That sad time of year again, though I for one will be grateful for the work he left us and the happy memories.

I just cant believe its been 2 years!

Anyway, Monty proposes a toast to Viper. I hope that at some stage you all will join me and have a drink to the Colossus.

Monty

I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the one and only Viper beerchug wine

And look the late great Irish comedian Dave Allen is joining in with Adrian to have a jar in heaven!

Dave Allen

Slainte, David and Adrian!
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Monty for reminding us of Viper. The contributions he made to the Casebook will always be invaluable. May we never forget that.

Am toasting Viper with a cup of Co-op 99, his favourite tea.

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4340
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's nice that he's being remembered. I'll drink a cup to him too.

Robert

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good move Monty...typical Monty.

Here's a toast to someone I am indebted to and never met...for your passion,Mr.Pyphers.

Tu Salut !

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.