Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 13, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » How to Improve These Boards » Archive through November 13, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This area is for suggestions on how these boards could be improved.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Bruce Tonnerman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The quality of the posts will always fluctuate, depending on the persons contributing at any given time.

Stephen is to be commended for his efforts for providing a great forum. He cannot account for the vagaries of those who post.

Kevin Braun
Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

May I suggest that invitations (userids) to participate on the new boards be E-mailed to Stewart, Paul, Martin, Michael C., the Viper, Mr. Leen, etc. Maybe all they need is a little push.

Take care,
Kevin

Neil Williams
Police Constable
Username: Neilw

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Do we really need the ratings? I guess most people simply read on from one posting to the next, then move on to another thread to catch up on the latest thoughts. If people do bother to vote for a particular post, then the vast majority will pick either number 1 (worst) or number 5 (best) because they feel particularly strongly about the message. Although I'm only guessing, it seems that over 95 percent of messages have no vote - so is it really worth it?

cheers
Neil}

Bruce Tonnermann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May I suggest a tad more common sense?

Joan O'Liari
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr.Ryder; My suggestion is that one thread could be used exclusively for each contributor's theory of the crimes, told in a chronological fashion, and how , why , and by whom, they believe the crimes were committed.
On this "read only" thread, no other poster will be allowed to comment on or challenge another poster's theory, spelling, smiley faces , or scholarly achievements, other than to move to another appropriate thread to continue a point raised.
Of course, with the "From Hell" movie fallout, this site will get a new influx of the newly converted Jack the Ripper fans, but only the truly faithful crime enthusiast is going to last for long. You have a great site here to educate and inform those new converts; for most of whom the story of Jack is just a passing fancy, tickling at the hard core of the truly obsessed Jack the Ripper enthusiasts.
Since you asked.
Thank you, Joan O'Liari

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know whether it's just me, but I find that the "check for messages since you last checked" facility often presents me with a blank page. A second attempt invariably says "no new messages", indicating that the new messages have been marked as checked, despite only a blank page coming up the first time.

The initial search screen does give an option of "don't remember this check". If only that option was available _after_ rather than _before_ submitting the request, it would solve the problem. But I realise that option may not be available to the webmaster.

Chris Phillips

boxerbliss
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Limit each poster to two posts during a 24 hour period. Some people are way too diluted out, ya know. Oops, I mean deluded.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Boxerbliss,
You are joking, we want entertainment not boredom.
Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Detective Sergeant
Username: Robert

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Boxerbliss

If you limited people to two posts each 24 hours,
you'd probably end up with it taking 24 hours to read their two posts!

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen

Is there a way to link to the tv/movie database so that when you click on a link, anything Ripper-related that might be coming on during the current week appears in a search?

An actress friend of mine from high school has something like this on her site, so you can see what I'm talking about: Click "On TV This Week" I guess all it's doing is performing an automatic search for her name in the database. This doesn't sound like it would be something that would cost anything.

I don't know if there's an available database for British television.

It's just that I always catch the most interesting documentaries just as they're ending. Of course, I guess I could always just check the database myself, but I think it would be a cool feature to add to Casebook.

Dave

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never mind--that database is confusing or I've lost my mind. I was positive it listed air dates for the television stuff, but I can't find showtimes listed. Maybe I was thinking of another site.

Dave

Andy and Sue Parlour
Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

There is a old saying:

'Don't try to mend something that isn't broke'.

You're doing a great job.

Andy P.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nude photographs of each poster would help a good deal, I think. We wouldn't have nearly so many misunderstandings if we could see clearly what each other has got.

Saddam

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam,

Wouldnt that make you feel kinda small compared to the rest of us ??!!

Monty
:-)

Andy and Sue Parlour
Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam,

We want to keep the poster's we have now, not drive em' away!!!

Andy P.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam if you are going to reveal your weaponry, be warned we'll insist on its being destroyed.

Robert

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam

Are we talking here about weopons (weoponry) of mass destruction or minor damage capacity?

Best
Gary

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooooh, my mouth is watering at the thought.

Cheers, Big Mark

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

Is there any way we could set up a trading post of some sort.

All The Best
Gary

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Stephen,

The message board: 'Joseph Barnett, Number One Suspect' has gotten too wide because of a map I posted showing everyone exactly where Buller's Lodging House was. Could you please remove it? Those who had no idea where it was, would probably have seen it by now.

LEANNE

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen anyone

Is it my eye sight, or has the text shrunk

Rob

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your mother warned you it would ruin your eyesight .

Cheers, Mark (who's broken his glasses today, damn it)

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There must be a touch of the Aaron Kosminski's going around Mark

Rob

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Are we talking here about weopons (weoponry) of mass destruction or minor damage capacity?"

>>My number is 8. Catch my drift?

Saddam

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.