Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Profiling and Whalebone Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Victorian Culture and Related Issues » Profiling and Whalebone « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For some time now it has been asserted that modern profiling techniques are at best dubious when applied to 1888. I confess that I did not agree with this view, but it has just occurred to me that it may have some merit in one respect. Jack is described as being the kind of SK who wanted his victim dead very quickly. He did not want to torture a live victim. He therefore slit their throats in a blitz attack and then proceeded with the mutilations which were his "signature" the thing he needed to do. But it just hit me. We are dealing with the era of the whalebone corset. Imagine for a moment that Jack wanted to cut up a living thrashing screaming victim. What a formidable obstacle that body armour would present! Jack lived in 1888. He would have thought of this a lot more readily than any of us would. It simply would not be practical for him to have to deal with the thrashing and flailing of a living victim and the veritable Great Wall of Whalebone both. Jack would have no idea what he would have to contend with until he had his victim subdued. Never mind about living or dead or sick preferences. He would have had to subdue his victim before he could deal with that corset.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Diana:

I stand to be corrected on this but I believe it would have been middle class and upper class women who wore whalebone corsets, not the "unfortunates" with which we are dealing. Look at the inventory for the belongings of Catherine Eddowes and what is said about how the other women were dressed. You do though make a good point, albeit inadvertently, that Jack perhaps attacked such women as he did because they were not wearing such whalebone corsets. That is, a woman of a different class, clad in such body armor, would present more of a challenge.

All the best

Chris George

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.