Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Clothes of the era Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Victorian Culture and Related Issues » Clothes of the era « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Just curious on the type of clothes Jack may have worn? The Cape, hat, etc..
Can anyone give me specifics on what types of clothes were worn in this time? What were the garments called, etc?
Anywhere online to purchase these types??

Thanks!

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

What an interesting subject! Well, I know a bit about the clothes of that time, unfortunately I have to write in english.

The hat and clothes are very much depending on how one interprets the Ripper. Some would say a top hat (doctor, wealthy man etc.), others a deer-stalker's hat and yet others a sailor's cap.

If he was middle or upper class, I would imagine he would wear a long dark jacket, going down to the knees and with a tight fit arpound the waist, called bounjour (like a jaquette, which can be seen on weddings, but without the curved lines at the lower ends against the parting -- a bounjour is totally straight in its form). Then he would wear a dark overcoat. Under all this he would have the usual clothes as a white shirt with loose collars and a tie or necktie. To go with this he would wear a top hat or another hat with a variation of different brims. The cape I think does only belong to the very wealthy, and is mostly used in combination with a tail coat on special occasions.

If he were low-class the hat could be in different shapes, but he would usually have a couple of layers of ordinary jackets and underneath a vest and shirt and maybe a tie (but not necessarily); if he was a sailor he would have a sailor's cap, one or two jackets as above and maybe a loosely tied scarf.

Hope that helped for now; these are just very loose guidelines and there should be a number of variations. Maybe someone can scan and insert some pictures? That would be fun.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

BAPearce
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love clothes history.I know more about womens clothes than mens.A place online you could try for something similar is www.premierdesigns.com.Clothes in the era were very dominated by money the more you had the better you got.In the Eastend it was common for people to buy secondhand at the time.I'll look up my books and see what I can find out you could also loook up the costumers manifesto site they have lots of links

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, BAPearce. We're looking forward to it.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

BAPearce
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Small mistake on the link it should be www.premierclothes.com. Sorry
Belinda

Dave
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Im desperatley seeking some clothes for my wedding!! Im really looking for something like Johnny Depp wore in From Hell. Does any one know where I find something like this?
How would I go about putting some pieces together from todays stores like Coat Factory, Mens Wharehouse? Would a wool rain coat, dark vest, white shirt work?? What type of material?
I cant figure out the collar (white shirt) that he wears in the film. What type of collar is that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Email me at dcraf1@cox.net. I need this "uniform" in 2 weeks.
Thanks!!From Hell

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave
I would have thought that if you are looking for full Victorian street dress your best bet would be a theatrical costumier rather than a normal rental company.
The collar Depp is wearing is a wing collar - originally these were separate from the shirt and were attached by collar studs at the back and front. I remember my grandfather wearing these. The unpleasant truth is that one of the reasons for wing collars was so that the same shirt could be worn for a number of days without laundering and a new collar worn daily. These were available (depending on your class and means) in starched lined, celluloid, even disposable ones in cardboard!
I wouldnt worry about materials - the originals would have been made of wool, tweed, linen etc but any modern repro is almost sure to be of lighter syntheic materials.
Hope this helps
Chris

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave, Scott

I can't recall his clothes from the film so I don't remeber how long his jacket is (and we can't tell from the picture), but my bet is that Depp is wearing a "bonjour", as the one I described above) which was a very common men's clothing. They were mostly black and made of wool, and -- as I mentioned above -- like a long jacket down to the knees and cut in astraight line at the bottom (a jaquette, that is a very common clothing even today at weddings are very similar -- see "Four Weddings and One Funeral" -- but has rounded ends at the bottom). Unfortunately bonjours are incredibly hard to find today -- at least where I live, but I had one tailored for me.

If you can't find a bonjour, then go for a jaquette or an ordinary black jacket, but if you want the latter on to be in the flair of the 19th century, make sure it is sawn in around the waist for a tight fit (for an hour-glass form).

And like Chris says, the collars and cuffs were loose so they could be changed and washed. These can be found, however, at very well sorted dealers, rental companies or a theatrical costumier.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Neil K. MacMillan
Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave:
There are several companies that sell period clothing. Type in R&K Sutlery on your search. Most of what they sell is 25 years earlier (American Civil War)but they do sell civilian attire. You might also try Grand Illusions in New Jersey.
As stated by Glenn, his attire would vary depending on his circumstances and of course, his profession or trade. If as some believe he was a denizen of Whitechapel and a lower class person. He would not be wearinbg the latest fashion. Also, bear in mind that if he were middle aged 35-55 let's say, that he might well wear the fashions that were popular in his younger day say fifteen -twenty years in the past. let me know how your search goes. Kindest regards, Neil

thomas schachner
Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi there,

i once posted some "fashion"-pictures on our boards.

http://www.jacktheripper.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

hope that helps .-)

greetings from germany
thomas.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.