Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Cat's meat shop? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Cat's meat shop? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Faye
Police Constable
Username: Faye

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey everyone

While reading trough mr Rumbelow's complete Jack the Ripper, a question came up. In the chapter describing the murder or Annie Chapman he says that one of the people that lived on 29 Hanbury street owned a 'cat's meat shop'. Eventhough I have studied history, I have never even heard of such a term.

I doubt it would be a shop dedicated to selling meat for cats, especially since we are talking about a neighbourhood where a large part of the population even had food for their own families, let alone for pets. Can someone clarify this? Is it just a name for something, or is it a shop where they literally sold cat meat?

I feel pretty silly for asking, but it is worth a shot :-)

Faye

Wolf Vanderlinden
Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Faye, a cat's meat shop sold meat, usually horse meat, to cat owners to feed their pets. Some sources describe the meat cut into small cubes and sold on a stick.

Wolf.

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Faye:

Actually this question is one of those pesky questions about the case, and it came up before on the old boards. I am glad Wolf was able to provide an answer for you.

All the best

Chris

Faye
Police Constable
Username: Faye

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Wolf and Chris

Thanks for clearing it up. I was kind of suprised to find out that there was such a thing in a neighbourhood like whitechapel! I expected that it would be considered a luxury since a lot of people had so much troubles providing for their own food.

Maybe it is a good idea for me to finally order the cd so I can look trough that for information :-)

thanks
Faye

Andy and Sue Parlour
Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Re the cat's meat tale.

I remember my grandmother saying that nearby to where her father lived in Bethnal Green there was a 'Cat's Meat Man'.

Her father was William/Walter Henry Weston (my Greatgrandfather).

We researched the census and found him living at Pleasant Place Bethnal Green in 1881.

Living a few doors away at No 16 Pleasant Place was Henry Ritchie aged 56 occupation cats meat hawker, wife Matilda aged 50 occupation cats meat hawker and Henry Ritchie (son) aged 21 occupation cats meat hawker.
Three other children are listed as match box makers and a fourth as a scholar.

'Oh for the Good Old Days'!

A&S.

Norma Rundle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Faye, interesting site this, researching this area re possible family connection discovered 1846 directory of this area, there was a butcher shop at at No. 17 Browns Lane, later renamed Hanbury Street. I have read that police initially
suspected a butcher to be J.t R.

Norma

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.