Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Whitechapel Sites Today Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Whitechapel Sites Today « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Spallek
Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having been on the guided walk at least twice previously, I decided to locate some of the sights on my own during a recent London trip (I'm from the USA). Mitre Square is easy to find and although the old wharehouses are gone, I find it easy to envision its Victorian appearance. The Square seems to me an inronically peacful place today and a convenient place to rest one's weary feet on a comfortable bench. The former sight of 29 Hanbury St. is also easy to locate. If you stand adjacent to the brewery across from nos. 28 and 30 and look to the opposite side of the street you can easily imagine the Victorian appearance of the block. I searched the City of London Cemetary for the victims' graves but came up empty. After reviewing the pictures here on the casebook, I think now could find them. I didn't realize they were actually in the present memorial garden.

Incidently, I have not found Whitechapel to be the least bit seedy or dangerous in appearance (at least in daytime), compared with urban USA anyway. But then I have never really felt unsafe in London.

I may be coming to London with a small group later in the summer. If I were to take them to two or three Ripper sites, which would you recommend? I am thinking of Mitre Square, Hanbury Street and possibly the City of London Cemetary.

Andy

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the doorway in Goulston Street where the piece of Catherine Eddowes's apron was found, and the graffito was written, is pretty much unique among Ripper sites in remaining intact, and is not too far from Mitre Square.

Chris Phillips

Monty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

4 mins 28 secs to be almost exact.

Monty

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that depends on the speed you walk and how many pubs you call in, doesn't it?

Cheers, staggering Mark

Chris Phillips
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's slightly off-topic for this thread, but I've always thought that the location of that doorway argued against the Ripper having detailed knowledge of the local geography.

If he was heading along Wentworth Street or north of it, why should he go into Goulston Street at all? Ditto if he was heading along Aldgate High Street or south of it. Even if he was heading for the southern part of Goulston Street itself, it would have made more sense to go south via New Goulston Street. (Having said that, maps do show an alleyway starting opposite Stoney Lane and leading into Goulston Street, from which he could turn south and pass the doorway. Even so, if he was heading south for Aldgate High Street, why not just go south down Middlesex Street - a rather shorter route?)

On the other hand if the Ripper was just making his way eastwards through unfamiliar streets, he might well zig-zag to try to keep on the right bearing, as people do.

Chris Phillips

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

A theory ??

Police beats. Perhaps he had to zig-zag.

Just an idea,

Mark,

There are no pubs en route...just the odd wine bar !!

Monty

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

That's dreadful news. And where there are pubs in the East End, many have closed . Wine bars are just not the same.

Cheers, Mark

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

The 'Bells' was open prior to xmas, not sure if it still is. Market trader is the nearest to Goulston st...then theres the City Darts. The 'Jack the Ripper' which I think was called the 'White hart', where Chapman plied his trade, is still going down Gunthorpe st...and theres the pub whose name Ive forgotten on the corner of Hanbury st and Commercial rd.

Grapeshot, Shooting star are more towards the City end and then there are the pubs all along the Whitechapel rd and across Goodmans fields way....
....shall I stop ??

Monty
:-)

Ps and thats the end of the 'and then theres' !!

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Monty, at least there are some left. The last time I strolled along Cable Street I was saddened by what I saw. Even the beautifully named Crown & Dolphin was shut. In all I think I counted six pubs shut around Shadwell Station to one open.

CAMRA's mag London Drinker has the Ten Bells as still open and serving real ale.

Cheers, Mark

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew
The only other building I know near a Ripper site which is still substantially the same (externally) is what was the Board School in Durward Street (Buck's Row)
I saw this when it was a very atmospheric ruin back in the 90s and it was due to be demolished but was saved and refurbished as private (and very expensive!) apartments.
If you arrive at Whitechapel by Tube this is the first building you see. Whitechapel Underground station is open to the sky and if you look up the Board School looms above you.
Most of the sites have of course changed beyond all recognition but there are still some alleyways and courtyards tucked away here and there which are virtually unaltered and give an idea of what things would have been like. the only one I know by name is Artillery Passage which leads out near Liverpool Street station and is still atmospheric, especially at night
Chris S

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

There used to be a jagged structure round the roof of the school. I take it this was to stop the kids falling to their deaths when they played football up there.

Robert

John Savage
Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

It may be worth mentioning that the "Providence Row Night Refuge" is still there, much the same as it was in 1888; although I believe it is soon to be converted to a more modern usage.

Regards,
John Savage

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Yes- thats right- some other boards schools I have seen had that too
I assume (and it is only assumption) that space was so limited that the roof was the only place for the kids to play
Chris

Allan Stone
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ten Bells-Visited said Pub on Saturday August 16th at approx 19.30.Lots of changes! It's open and busy.Furniture is weathered.Clientele quite trendy.One real ale available-(bombardier).There is a "disco/DJ" every night now.All references to JTR have gone. All the photos etc missing. The old board that listed the '6' victims is absent , in that corner is the DJ booth.note on front door now asks for notification of Ripper visits over 10 people.
Sad about the changes but the pub looks like staying open now. This wasn't always the case.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.