Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Days of the Week Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Victorian Culture and Related Issues » Days of the Week « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nichols happened on a Thursday/Friday night.
Chapman happened on a Friday/Saturday night.
Stride & Eddowes happened on a Sunday/Monday night.
Kelly happened on a Thursday/Friday night.

Thursday/Friday 2
Friday/Saturday 1
Sunday/Monday 2

Most people with jobs do not stay out late on a work night for the mundane reason that it is very hard to get up the next morning and go to work. But who, in 1888 or even today has a work schedule confined to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday? Have I been looking at this wrong? Why did Jack have such long weekends?

Chris Phillips
Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "double event" was Saturday-Sunday, not Sunday-Monday, wasn't it?

And I get the impression that the Friday of Kelly's murder, the day of the Lord Mayor's show, was a holiday for many.

That still leaves Nichols. Sometimes I wonder if we should be looking for someone who was usually working, but not on the day of the Lord Mayor's show, and not in late August.

Chris Phillips

danefirmin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an interesting idea. What if Jack committed the murders on his way home from work? In that way, it wouldn't matter at what time the murders were done because he worked a later shift than usual. Ofcourse I think people miss the obvious, I know most of the time I stay up till 2 and 3 am and then wake up the following morning at 6:30. Granted, I don't like it. But I do it quite often. So to think just because he killed them on those days means he HAD to have all of those days off from work, I don't think is a grounded truth.

The best way to look at it would be that he'll killed them somewhere at the end of the work week because he knew that he had the weekend to rest up from staying out late.

My French teacher from school only works Tuesdays,Wednesdays, and Thursdays but that is because he's retired and doing it out of kindness to the school. Certainly someone retired could have a schedule like that. Though, I think the best conclusion to draw from all of this is that my French teacher is Jack the Ripper.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
Remember one point Barnett was out of regular work from august onwards , it would not matter to him about day time activities.
Richard.

Maura
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do aberrant minds think logically? I know I don't.

If I were in the mood to kill, my adrenalin could be pumped up, even if I'd had a rough day at the easel.

But I swear I'm not Sickert.

The thirst for blood does not have a logical, well balanced schedule that is so anal and obsessively/compulsively driven by abiding by a strict timetable...I would assume.

Just like danefirmin, I often stay up on worknights till 2am and then get up at 6:30am with no trouble. Some people can get by on little sleep, witness Thomas Edison.

Not to say good old Tom is the Ripper.

Though I agree the Ripper could be danefirmin's French teacher possibly or that Math teacher he likes so much.

Jack may have been quite charming, in between killings.

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack was in his twenties or thirties so staying up that late wouldn't be a problem I suppose. But with Nichols she was found at 3:30 AM. He would have had to get home, get cleaned up and then he would have very little time to sleep before going to work -- always assuming that his was a day job. Then Chapman happened at dawn. He would have been out all night. Stride and Eddowes are a little more believable. He finished up that night at @ 1:40. But Kelly's TOD is hotly debated but the earliest time most people concede is @ 4:00AM. Maybe he was a shift worker. I'll check on the double event again.}}

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the Casebook:

Saturday-Sunday, September 29-30, 1888. The weather this evening is showery and windy. Elizabeth spends the afternoon cleaning two rooms at the lodging house. For her services she is paid 6d by Elizabeth Tanner.

September 30th, 1888

6:30 PM: Tanner sees her again at the Queen's Head Public House. They drank together and then walked back to the lodging house.

7:00-8:00 PM: She is seen leaving the lodging house by Charles Preston and Catherine Lane

Notice that the night before the murders is described as a Saturday-Sunday}

Chris Phillips
Sergeant
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The murders were committed in the early hours of Sunday 30th September. The heading "September 30th, 1888" seems to be an error, because the 6.30pm entry refers to 29th September.

I think I'm right in saying that in 1888 for most people Saturday would be a working day.

Really the only date that fits the argument "The Ripper must have been in employment as he killed only at weekends" is that of the Saturday-Sunday double event, and as you point out, the murders on that night were by far the earliest.

Chris Phillips

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris -- I checked the A to Z and you are right. So what we have is:

Thursday/Friday 2
Friday/Saturday 1
Saturday/Sunday 2

If we want to say he was employed, then what do you do with Nichols and Kelly? If I remember right Kelly was killed on a holiday. Anybody know about Nichols?

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to the shift worker theory you have TOD's ranging from 1AM to 5:30AM (unless you accept the late estimate for Kelly). I guess that would have been believable. Maybe he got off at midnight?

Jennifer Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

Interesting point about JtR’s employment/job. Let’s put our collective brains together and try to compile
A list of occupations where in 1888 one would leave work at or around Midnight. Keep in mind I am new to all of this and my thinking may be off (quite a bit…it usually is)…

Barkeep/Pub owner
Doctor/Nurse
Police (Does anyone know if there were well-established “shifts” at the time?)
Hookers/”unfortunates” (going out to work as well)
A commuter- the trains still ran pretty late back then, what about someone employed with in a reasonable
Train ride from Whitechapel- one of London’s boroughs?

Just some random thoughts!

boots

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slaughter House Worker -- one of the witnesses in the Nichols slaying was a slaughter house worker who had just gotten off. Doctors were called out to deliver babies in the middle of the night too.

cappuccina
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps he was so mentally ill that he was not working, and was wandering the streets...perhaps he was harbored by his family...this would not be unheard of at the time...

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or possibly he was well to do and 'employed' in such a way that he could take time off whenever he felt like it, without repercussions--such as might be the case for a suspect like Jem Stephen.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.