Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Crossinghams Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Crossinghams « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand that Tabram's friend Connoly, Chapman, Stride, Kidney, Coles, and McKenzie had all lived at one time or another at Crossinghams. Miller's court was right across the street. But when I did a Casebook search I found three Crossingham's. One was at 35 Dorset Street opposite Miller's Court and it was where Connoly lived. I'm not sure where the rest of them lived because there was apparently a Crossingham's at 17 Dorset St. and one at White's Row where McKenzie lived. It seems they were all owned by the same person. Since there seems to be so many connections, should we be looking at Mr. Crossingham? Or one of his employees who floated between establishments? Thanks to Mr. Wolf I have been inspired to pursue this. I have just finished the first chapter of his book.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Sergeant
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana

I'm a bit rusty on this subject myself, but I seem to remember someone posting a message on the boards showing that Crossinghams actually moved from one address in Dorset Street to another in Dorset Street over the course of the years, but by 1888 was definitely at number 35.
I did follow up all the leads I could back then in the early 1990's, but times were aprimitive then and I certainly feel further research would prove to be rewarding now.
I seem to remember Timothy Donovan - the keeper of the house - may have eventually been prosecuted for murdering his wife? And of course Michael Kidney is always of interest, but again I believe someone on these boards came up with a very convincing argument showing that Kidney may well not have lived at that interesting address.
All these issues should be addressed, just as should this mysterious Seaside Police Home, for I now understand that this building moved around a lot as well!
Glad you enjoyed the read.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.