Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

So what else happened in 1888? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Victorian Culture and Related Issues » So what else happened in 1888? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Hinton
Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently came across a glass tankard in a second hand shop commemorating the 100th anniversary of Esso petrol - you've guessed it Esso ( or Standard Oil as I believe it was known as then) was started in 1888! Just think JTR could have been an Esso employee! Perhaps he should be depicted wearing greasy overalls rather than top hat and tails!

It started me thinking of what else happened in 1888. I've started with Esso - what's next!

Bob

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From The Annals of London (a great year-by-year reference book by the way...), the following happened in 1888:

Terror in the East End: The obvious. :-)

New Theatres
The first theatre opened in Shaftesbury Avenue on 20 October. It stood on the south-east side of the road, between Gerrard Place and Little Newport Street, next to the fire station, and was destroyed in WWII. Two Lyric theatres opened, a new building for the Royal Court Theatre was opened on 24 September, and the Grand Theatre in Islington was rebuilt at 40 Islington High Street.

The Matchgirls' Strike: Most of us know about this one...

A Journey to Brighton:
A stage coach called Old Times travelled to Brighton and back on 13 July in 7 hours, 50 minutes, for a wager that the journey could not be done in less than eight hours. Horses were changed 16 times.

Grieg in London:
The compose Edvard Grieg made his first visit to London this year, conducting one of his own works on 3 May. "When I showed myself at the orchestra doorway, the whole of the vast St James's Hall, completely full, broke into an uproad, so intense and so continuous (I think for over three minutes) that I didn't know what to do..."

From The Timetables of History:

Political Events:

* German Emperor William I dies, succeeded by son Frederick III, who himself dies in June and is succeeded by his son, the "Kaiser", William II.
* General Boulanger retires from the French army and is elected to the French Chamber of Deputies.
* Suez Canal convention takes place.
* Benjamin Harrison elected President of the US

Art and Music:

* Edward Bellamy: "Looking Backwards, 2000-1887"
* Kipling: "Plain Tales from the Hills"
* Maupassant: "Pierre et Jean"
* Verlaine: "Amour"
* Zola: "La Terre"
* Oscar Wilde: "The Happy Prince, and Other Tales"
* George Courteline: "Le Train de 8h47"
* James Bryce: "The American Commonwealth"
* Bernard Bosanquet: "Logic, or the Morphology of Knowledge"
* G. J. Romanes: "Mental Evolution in Man"
* James Martineau: "The Study of Religion"
* James Ensor: "The Entrance of Christ into Brussels" (painting)
* Van Gogh: "The Yellow Chair"
* Toulouse-Lautrec: "Place Clichy"
* Gilbert and Sullivan: "The Yeomen of the Guard"
* Tchaikovsky: Simphony No. 5
* Rimsky-Korsakov: "Sheherazade," Op. 35, symphonic suite
* Gustav Mahler becomes musical director of the Budapest opera

Births and Deaths:

* Katherine Mansfield (b)
* T.S. Eliot (b)
* Eugene O'Neill (b)
* Theodor Storm (d)
* Irving Berlin (b)
* Jim Thorpe (b) *one of the greatest all-around athletes of all time
* T.E. Lawrence (b)

Scientific achievements:

* Nikola A. Tesla constructs electric motor (manufactors by George Westinghouse)
* George Eastman perfects the "Kodak" box camera
* J.B. Dunlop invents the pneumatic tire
* Heinrich Hertz and Oliver Lodge independently identify radio waves as belonging to the same family as light waves

Daily Life:

* Football league founded (American)
* Lawn Tennis Association founded
* Cecil Rhodes amalgamates Kimberley diamond companies
* Aeronautical exhibition in Vienna
* First publication of the "Financial Times" (London)
* First beauty contest held in Spa, Belgium.
* Fridtjof Nansen leads an exlporing party across Greenland on snowshoes
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A similar thread existed on the old boards, but it contained many other events which merit duplication here:

Births:

* Scottish TV.pioneer John Logie Baird.
* British Comic genius Will Hay.
* T.S. Eliot
* Thomas Sopwith (of aviation fame)

Deaths:

* Edward Lear
* General Philip Henry Sheridan (of U.S. Civil War fame)
* Former New York Senator and Republican Boss, Roscoe Conkling (the most famous victim of the
"Blizzard of 1888").
* Theodore Fontane (German novelist, "Effie Brest")
* Louisa May Alcott and her father, Bronston Alcott,
* Controvertial French General Achille Bazaine,
* Poet and philosopher Matthew Arnold
* Controvertial British General, Lord Lucan
* Former Mayor of New York City and Governor of New York State (the last to be both) John T. Hoffman

Events:

* August 11th...Charles Parnell initiates action against the Times claiming 100,000 in damages.
* The Blizzard of 1888 in the northeast U.S.
* The Regent's Park Murder
* In France, the most notorious murderer in the world, Prado, was tried and guilloutined in late 1888.
* As a result of a quarrel with his roomate Paul Gauguin, Vincent Van Gogh cut off the lobe of his ear in November 1888. One of two notorious mutilations that month.
* The Great Eastern is broken up on Merseyside.
* The Miners Federation of UK is founded.
* The local government act establishes county councils

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Stephen,

I know nothing about American football but 1888 is the year the Football League was founded in England. Of the twelve original clubs, eleven still exist in the top 92 which make up the present premiership and 1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions.

In that first 1888-9 season Notts County came 11th.

Cheers, Mark

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2643
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark -

You're probably right about it being the English football league and not the American - my information was from an American book and so I assumed they must have meant American football. :-)
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Leanne Perry
Sergeant
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Sorry if we already have these on this list:

1888 INVENTIONS:
* Kodak camera ("Eastman's"),
* Overhead conducting system for electric railways,
* Galvanic Battery,
* The Revolving door.

and John Pemberton, the man who invented Coca-Cola died!

LEANNE!

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha ha

But in the 1889-90 season Notts County came 3rd; our equal best position .

Cheers, Mark

Leanne Perry
Sergeant

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

This is fun, skimming through the Web:

* England won the 3-test series of cricket against Australia!
* Harpo Marx was born,
* 'The National Geographic Society' was established,
* The neumatic tyre was invented by J.B. Dunlop, (rubber tyres with air in them,
* Vincent Van Gogh painted 'Sunflowers',
* The Gramaphone was invented,
* 'Mum' was the first underarm deodorant invented, (in a cream format),
* Paper drinking straws were invented,
* The arc-perimeter was invented, (eye examination equipment),
* The 1888 U.S. Presidential campaign was called the most corrupt in US History,
* Charles Paires' yacht 'Volunteer' won the America's Cup,
* Hamburger steak was invented,
* The game of Softball was invented,
* The game 'Othello' was invented,
* 'Tiddlywinks' was invented,
* Bobsleighing was invented by William Smith,
* Incubators for premature babies was first used,
* New York State established the electric chair for the death penalty,
* William Burroughs patented the adding machine and
* The Cinemetograph was an early form of motion pictures, invented by Thomas Edison.

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

In 1888 the head of the local government appointed coroners. There were no minimum standards or educational requirements needed. Qualifications for the position were not established in England until 1926.

LEANNE!

Leanne Perry
Inspector

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

In 1888, Australia celebrated the Centenary of the British settlement of a penal colony on her shores. The transportation of convicts was abolished in 1840!

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Sergeant
Username: Robert

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also in 1888, Adolf Hitler was conceived - about the time the murders started. I blame Sickert.

Robert

Chris Scott
Sergeant
Username: Chris

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob
The Stevens Point Journal (Wisconsin)published on 5 January 1889 gives a full page summary of events of the previous year, 1888. It grouped these under the following headings:
Stock Valuations
Casualties
Crime (US)
Fires
Foreign (this is the section where Jack gets a mention!)
Industrial
Meteorological
Necrology (i.e. obituaries)
Political and Social
Religious and Educational
Miscellaneous

Let me know if you'd like any of these sections posted and I will do what I can
Chris

Chris Scott
Sergeant
Username: Chris

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob
As an example of the sort of detail the article I mentioned above goes into, Im attaching part of the "Foreign" section - the part that mentions the Whitechapel murders
Chris

events

Bob Hinton
Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lawrence of Arabia (T E Lawrence) was born. Now I know he is often pictured wearing a very sharp wickedly pointed knife but I think we can rule him out of the suspects list!

Maura
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The great German film director F.W. Murnau was born in 1888. Unfortunately he chose to depict on film the life of "Nosferatu" [albeit a classic] instead of a bio of the Ripper.

Now that's one movie director who could have done the story justice.

Richard Dewar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 1888, Benjamin Harrison was elected President of the United States even though his opponent, the incumbent, President Grover Cleveland had the most votes.

Until 2000, that was the last time the anachronistic electoral college intervened to deny the public the candidate they preferred for president.

Rich

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 2000 the Electoral College did not intervene to deny the public the candidate they preferred for President. In 2000 the US Supreme Court declared that the election in Florida had been won by George W. Bush, as certified by the Secretary of State for Florida. As this victory gave Bush more electoral votes than his opponent, the Electoral College did exactly as they were ethically bound to do and cast the majority of their votes for Bush.

As to the value of the Electoral College, that is a matter for discussion. Personally, I find it quite valuable and ingenious. Without this mechanism a candidate would only have to concentrate on meeting the needs of voters in the most heavily populated areas and could ignore the needs of the rest of the country. The Electoral College system forces candidates to pay attention to all of the states because even those few electoral votes in a small state could make the difference.

Andy

Wayne N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1888 Births:

Raymond Chandler -- novelist (creator of hardboiled detective Philip Marlowe)
Maurice Chevalier -- entertainer
F.W. Murnau -- silent film director
Vaslav Nijinski -- ballet dancer
Knute Rockne -- American football player and coach
Tris Speaker -- Hall of Fame baseball player
Henry Wallace -- US Vice President

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One I ran across recently:

The Papyrus of Ani, the world's most famous version of what has been called the Egyptian Book of the Dead (depiction and instruction of magic spells to protect souls in the afterlife), was found, cut into segments and brought to England in 1888.

Now all we need is someone to come up with some whacky theory comparing the removal of ripper victim's organs to removal of organs in mummies. No, it doesn't make much sense, but someone could do it.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may add three names to the birth and death lists:

born - Barry Fitzgerald, actor, winner of best
supporting actor Oscar for Going My Way (March
1888).

died - Harry Benson, swindler and star witness in the "Trial of the Detectives" (Meikeljohn, Druscovitch, Palmer, and Clarke) in 1877 [Benson had bribed the first three - possibly the fourth
although it wasn't proven in his case - while involved in the fleecing of Countess De Goncourt in what was known as the "Turf Fraud". He turned
witness against the Detectives, the first three of whom went to prison.] Benson, continuing his
frauds in the U.S. and Mexico, committed suicide in the Tombs prison in N.Y.C. in March 1888, to
avoid extradition to Mexico.

died - Domingo Sarmiento, Reformer President of
Argentina, author, and educator (October 1888).

Wayne N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Famous Births During the Autumn of Terror

September 6:
Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. (1888-1969) -- ambassador, film Producer and father of John F. Kennedy

September 12:
Maurice Chevalier (1888-1972) -- entertainer

September 26:
T.S. Eliot (1888-1965) -- poet

October 16:
Eugene O'Neill (1888-1953) -- playwright

October 25:
Admiral Richard E. Byrd (1888-1957) --- explorer

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 1888, William Butler Yeats was invited to Christmas dinner by Oscar Wilde and his wife.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eduardo,

I just found out the other day that Yeats went to my old school between 1875 and 1880! I don't think we shared the same spelling teacher though...she would have given young Willie a helluva time.

Love,

Caz
X

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all:

Death of Rev. George Robert Gleig (1796-1888). At the time of his death, Gleig was prebend of Willesden in St. Paul's Cathedral after earlier serving as Chaplain General to the British Army. A prolific diarist and writer, in August 1814, he was serving as a second lieutenant in the 85th Regiment in General Ross's British expeditionary force of 4,000 soldiers, and chronicled the British sack of Washington, D.C. Later, he wrote for Blackwood's Magazine and Fraser's Magazine, and produced a large number of historical works including biographies of Wellington and Clive. His death though, on 9 July 1888, pretty effectively removes him from consideration as a Jack the Ripper suspect even if his advanced age would not already have done so.

All the best

Chris duck

(Message edited by ChrisG on May 05, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.