Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hanbury Street Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Hanbury Street « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Susan Deal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know when did Hanbury Street change its name from Brown's Lane? I have read that the change to Hanbury street was in about 1804, but I have seen an 1874 ordnance survey map which still names the street as Brown's Lane.

Jon Smyth
Police Constable
Username: Jon

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Susan
There's a map on-line dated 1827 which also shows it as Brown's Lane.
Apparently the stretch between Commercial St and Brick Lane was called Browns Lane, but then from Brick Lane to Spital St was called Montague St. then from Spital St. to the High St. (later incorporated into Great Garden St.) was called Preston St.
All subsequently were incorporated as Hanbury St. sometime between 1873 & 1888.

http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/map_c8h.html
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view.php?ArtID=450

Thats just a rudimentary search......

regards, Jon

Norma Rundle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, in response to your query re Browns Lane, it was known as such in the 1846 Directory of London.

Regards Norma

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A clickable map of Hanbury street is now available at:

http://casebook.org/official_documents/census/hanbury-street.html

As you roll your mouse over each individual building you will have the option to view that building's inhabitants as listed in the 1881 and 1891 census listings.

Thanks to Chris Scott for the census data!

Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much for that, Stephen and Chris. So both the Nichols and Chapman murders occurred close by a Barber's Yard. Weird.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is great, Stephen and Chris. Planning on eventually doing the other sites as well?

Edit: Oops, I see now you've got the data up for the others. I think it would be cool if they were linked with the maps of Whitechapel that are in the Victorian London section--you know, click on Hanbury Street and that takes you to the map/census information you've put together.

Dave

(Message edited by Oberlin on May 01, 2004)

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David -

Yep, eventually it'll all be hooked up to maps - but its a fair amount of work, so for the moment we've just got the raw data up for the other sites. Soon, though. :-)
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen

I should've known you already had that in mind (grin). I think this is a fantastic tool.

Cheers,
Dave

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. Nice work indeed.
Looking forward to the other sites as well.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah that is fantastic!!
You know what it might be nice to let people who might be looking for that surname know the data i s on the sight. I don't know if it is possible to be bothered posting info say on ancestry.com message boards or rootsweb or something?
Anyhow that is great to look at!
Jennifer

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.