Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Aldgate High Street Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Aldgate High Street « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Police Constable
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has very recently come to my attention that a serving police officer has been tracked down to residing in the area of 27, 28, 29 and 30 Aldgate High Street in the 1880's. His name is John Dixon, and I am hoping that others out there might have - or may be able to find - more information about this individual.
I am not sure if this is the same serving police officer called John Dixon who married a young Catholic girl by the name of Mary in Liverpool in 1883 and then moved to London with her in 1884, and I am also not sure if this is the same John Dixon - by then an ex-policeman - who retired after the Ripper murders to the Isle of Man to raise sheep.
But I do believe those sheep might have been black.
Any help profoundly appreciated.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Sergeant
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wolf,
Intresting...
If the young catholic girl was our Mary Jane, then it would certainly tie in with the date Kelly claimed to have moved to London.
Also is that the same area that Eddowes was found in a drunken stumour?.
On a less serious note..
Its a pity that our police officer first name was not George.. We would then know what police station he served ..Dixon of Dock Green..
Sorry about that it is a intresting post.
Regards Richard.

Brian W. Schoeneman
Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/police.html#HOW

This site has some info on tracking down old Metropolitan Police officers. It may be of some service to you - not sure if you've seen it before or not.

B

AP Wolf
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,
yes it is an interesting piece of information. and I hope it can be developed suitably. The name of his young Catholic bride and the year she moved to London are provoking.
I have followed some of the messages concerning MJK, but cannot admit to any great personal knowledge or expertise in this matter, but she certainly comes across to me as a woman who was being deliberately disingenuous about her former life before coming to London, and given her status and appearance at the time of death I personally do not believe she was anything as young as she claimed or was thought to be. Her death certificate certainly reflects the ambiguity of her real age.
It was not uncommon for a Victorian woman to slice ten or more years off her life on paper, much as many modern women might attempt to do today with a surgeon's knife.
All in all, something to dwell upon.

AP Wolf
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,
Yes I have been to this site before, and found it a rewarding experience, finding a little tad of information concerning Chrales Henry Cutbush of which I had been unaware.
I have printed out the entire site and will be studying it in detail in an effort to track down this mysterious Dixon.
I am indebted to you, sir.

Christopher T George
Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, AP:

You may be right that MJK shaved some years off her actual age. On the other hand, all reports seem to indicate the lady was considerably younger than the other victims, if she was not really the raving beauty that legend and/or Hollywood would have us believe.

Best regards

Chris George

Stephen Miller
Police Constable
Username: Knutmill

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ap- In 1881 census
John G Dixon aged 50 Police Constable born Haile Cumberland
Wife: Eliza Dixon aged 43 born Andover Hampshire
Both living in Aldgate High Street
RG11/0369 FOLIO 60 PAGE 9
I'll check Liverpool tomorrow
send me an email as there are 3 references to policemen named Dixon in London
best wishes
steve

AP Wolf
Police Constable

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
I'm absolutely convinced that MJK was at least ten years older than she maintained. This would have been quite normal for an 'unfortunate', even today unfortunates claim quite fortunate ages. She comes across to me as a complete and utter 'blagger', but nonetheless likeable.

AP Wolf
Police Constable

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,
I have replied to your note via email so I hope you got that and please mail me back with details of the other references to policeman with the name of Dixon.
I believe you should be given some sort of medal for tracking down a police officer who was actually living in Aldgate High Street in the 1880's, after so many sceptics have poured scorn on the idea that this address is of any relevance.
It may not be.
But in the pursuit of knowledge you have definitely pushed us a lot further forward.
For that you have my thanks.

Chris scott`
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP again:-)
While I was looking thru the 1881 stuff for Aldgate High Street, I came across 2 other police officers with addresses there. They both lived at No. 69 but in separate households
Details:
1) 69 Aldgate High Street
Police Superintendent Frederick A Gray aged 36
Wife Mary A, and six children
2) At same address
Alfred Lloyd Police Officer aged 26 born Newport, Monmouth
Wife Francis and 1 child

Hope this helps
Chris S

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
I don't know how relevant it will be to your reearch but re the 1881 entry for J Dixon, he was residing at No 20 Aldgate High Street
Hope this helps
Chris S

AP Wolf
Police Constable

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris (Scott),
Thank you for that.
I couldn't say that I'm really researching this, as against you chaps my research skills are positively moribund.
However I do think the whole thing to be a useful exercise.
I have long admired your skill at this sort of thing.
Number 20 Aldgate High Street is close enough for me. I remember being quite drunk in Germany once and letting myself into an apartment five doors down the road from where I lived. These things happen in life.
I find it quite amusing that not so long ago nobody lived in Aldgate High Street, it was all furniture warehouses and the like, and now we have all these policeman bunkered down there, including this John Dixon, who certainly deserves further investigation.
Aldgate High Street was very small.
And I suppose easily enough moved on from by someone who was a serving police officer.
So now we have some very senior police officers actually living in Aldgate High Street.
Progress indeed.
Keep digging, Chris.

Christopher T George
Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, AP:

I do agree with you that MJK appears to have made up stories about herself. For example, how authentic is the story that she had been a prostitute in Paris, the "Marie Jeanette Kelly" name, or was all that a story to make her seem more exotic? However, the other women similarly seem to have made up tales about themselves, e.g., the story that Elizabeth Stride put out that "her husband and children went down in the ship Princess Alice" as she told Elizabeth Tanner. This tale was related by Tanner at Stride's inquest but researchers have not been able to verify it.

Best regards

Chris George

John R. Fogarty
Sergeant
Username: Goryboy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard:

You asked "Also is that the same area that Eddowes was found in a drunken stupor?"

Yes, Eddowes was indeed arrested at or near 29 Aldgate High Street about 8:45 pm Saturday night, Sep. 29th, while drunkenly impersonating a fire engine siren. Since she had previously stated that she knew who the Whitechapel Murderer was, it's more than passing strange that she was behaving this way at that location.

Also, when released from jail later that night, about 1:00 am on the 30th, she headed back toward Aldgate (and Mitre Sq.) rather than the Flower & Dean St. lodging house where John Kelly was staying, or the old Shoe Lane Casual Ward. Most curious.... Who or what was she looking for?

Cheers,
John e-Rotten
(a.k.a., Goryboy)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.